Texas Registration Help

State specific issues relating to Atom registration with the DMV
Driver

Texas Registration Help

Post by Driver » Tue Nov 15, 2005 1:44 am

Starting to see people comment on registering issues in their various states. Here's a thread for all the information that might help Texans get their Atom on the road. Post links or comments from any site here that may help.

The Texas DMV Website is at

http://www.dot.state.tx.us/txdot.htm

Driver

Other Kit Car Comments - EraReplicas

Post by Driver » Tue Nov 15, 2005 1:53 am

Here's some info from another thread that Matt F pointed towards. I've copied the info from that site that applies to Texas itself. It also includes examples from other states as well as links to almost all of the DMV's in each one. Good resource.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
From EraReplicas:
Texas [TABLE]
[TR]
[TD]I recently had a Cobra Replica, built 1994, registered as a 1966 Cobra in Texas and it only needed to be safety inspected. Now I have a Superformance Cobra (Built 1996) SVO crate motor, still just safety inspected. The key, go to a car dealer vs. the state inspection centers. Most car dealers do the state inspection and their opinions are it is a replica of a 60s vehicle and no emissions just safety sticker. Also agree it's those vettes and vipers put all the rather poor in the air, the cobras are too slick!!!!!!!!!!

I had no problem registering or inspecting my Cobra. While it is registered as a 1999 Johnex Cobra, the bill of sale clearly states that a 1966 engine is used. This seemed to satisfy the registration and inspection folks. Inspection was no problem. They did not even start it up.[/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD]<To: eracars@>
The two Texas examples are correct to a degree.  If the vehicle has a certificate of origin it can be titled as a kit car (if it came with no engine). All that is needed is a weight certificate, state inspection sticker, proof of insurance, the title from the producer (c.o.o.), and bill of sale for components used. (engine and trans).  If no certificate of origin is available (no vin number) then a trip to the Texas D.O.T. will have to take place and a police officer will have to inspect and approve it, then a vin # will be assigned and stamped on the body or chassis and the above steps can then be done.  If there is a vin number but no certificate of origin a pencil tracing of the vin number must be presented.
Some counties require emission testing and the ones that don't require the emission components that came with the engine be in place.  If a Certificate of origin can be had by all means do it. If you can eliminate the trip to the Texas D.O.T it will shorten the process tremendously. I made three trips to the license place and one to the Texas DOT to straighten all this out.  These rules can be bent to various degrees and it will depend on who helps you in the local license office as to how much you can get away with. It could come back to bite you in the future.  One thing to concider: A kit with no engine assembled as a kit car requires no sales tax be paid. A complete kit or car would require sales tax be paid. Sales tax on a 25k kit would be 1700.00.
cobra2@... (Tom Johnson)
[/TD][/TR][/TABLE]
Last edited by Driver on Tue Nov 15, 2005 1:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dezoris

Re: Other Kit Car Comments - EraReplicas

Post by Dezoris » Fri Nov 18, 2005 2:43 am

[quote="Driver"]
Here's some info from another thread that Matt F pointed towards. I've copied the info from that site that applies to Texas itself. It also includes examples from other states as well as links to almost all of the DMV's in each one. Good resource.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
From EraReplicas:
Texas [TABLE]
[TR]
[TD]I recently had a Cobra Replica, built 1994, registered as a 1966 Cobra in Texas and it only needed to be safety inspected. Now I have a Superformance Cobra (Built 1996) SVO crate motor, still just safety inspected. The key, go to a car dealer vs. the state inspection centers. Most car dealers do the state inspection and their opinions are it is a replica of a 60s vehicle and no emissions just safety sticker. Also agree it's those vettes and vipers put all the rather poor in the air, the cobras are too slick!!!!!!!!!!

I had no problem registering or inspecting my Cobra. While it is registered as a 1999 Johnex Cobra, the bill of sale clearly states that a 1966 engine is used. This seemed to satisfy the registration and inspection folks. Inspection was no problem. They did not even start it up.[/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD]<To: eracars@>
The two Texas examples are correct to a degree.  If the vehicle has a certificate of origin it can be titled as a kit car (if it came with no engine). All that is needed is a weight certificate, state inspection sticker, proof of insurance, the title from the producer (c.o.o.), and bill of sale for components used. (engine and trans).  If no certificate of origin is available (no vin number) then a trip to the Texas D.O.T. will have to take place and a police officer will have to inspect and approve it, then a vin # will be assigned and stamped on the body or chassis and the above steps can then be done.  If there is a vin number but no certificate of origin a pencil tracing of the vin number must be presented.
Some counties require emission testing and the ones that don't require the emission components that came with the engine be in place.  If a Certificate of origin can be had by all means do it. If you can eliminate the trip to the Texas D.O.T it will shorten the process tremendously. I made three trips to the license place and one to the Texas DOT to straighten all this out.  These rules can be bent to various degrees and it will depend on who helps you in the local license office as to how much you can get away with. It could come back to bite you in the future.  One thing to concider: A kit with no engine assembled as a kit car requires no sales tax be paid. A complete kit or car would require sales tax be paid. Sales tax on a 25k kit would be 1700.00.
cobra2@... (Tom Johnson)
[/TD][/TR][/TABLE]
[/quote]

Keep us up to date on what you find.

Westrock

Re: Texas Registration Help

Post by Westrock » Thu Dec 22, 2005 4:58 am

I found some info about the Inspection aspect.

Here are the inspection points of a Passanger car in Texas

05.01 Inspect Every Passenger Car For: (Listed in suggested order of inspection)

* Check for evidence of Financial Responsibility

1. Horn
2. Windshield Wipers
3. Mirror
4. Steering
5. Seat Belts
6. Brakes (system) (Parking - beginning with 1960 models)
7. Tires
8. Wheel Assembly
9. Exhaust System
10. Exhaust Emission System (beginning with 1968 models)
11. Beam Indicator (beginning with 1948 models)
12. Tail Lamps (2); (1) if 1959 model or earlier
13. Stop Lamps (2); (1) if 1959 model or earlier
14. License Plate Lamp (1)
15. Rear Red Reflectors (2)
16. Turn Signal Lamps (beginning with 1960 models)
17. Head Lamps (2)
18. Motor, Serial, or Vehicle Identification Number
19. 1988 & newer - inspect for window tinting or coating
20. Gas caps on vehicles 2-24 model years old.

Heres some specifics

Windshield Wipers
20.33 Windshield Wipers. Every motor vehicle with a windshield must be equipped with a windshield wiper or wipers adequate for cleaning rain, snow, or other moisture from the windshield; in good working order; and constructed so as to permit operation and control by the driver of the vehicle.

All motor vehicles which were originally equipped (manufactured) with one wiper, only one wiper is required; if originally equipped (manufactured) with two or more wipers, all wipers will be required. Replacement of vacuum with electric or electric with vacuum wipers is permissible. Vehicles presented for inspection without windshields will not be required to have wipers. The windshield is not an item of inspection. Manually operated wipers are permissible if original vehicle equipment.
Head Lights
20.16 Head Lamps

1. Motor Vehicles. Every motor vehicle shall be equipped with at least two head lamps, at least one on each side of the front of the motor vehicle, which head lamps shall comply with the requirements and limitations set forth in these regulations.

Every head lamp upon every motor vehicle shall be located at a height of not more than 54 inches nor less than 24 inches to be measured from the center of such lamp to the level ground upon which the vehicle stands when such vehicle is without a load.

3. General Provisions. All motor vehicles including motorcycles sold new after January 1, 1948, other than motor-driven cycles (motor scooters and motorbikes), must be equipped with multiple beam head lamps. Single beam head lamps will be permitted on those vehicles sold new prior to January 1, 1948, and on all motor-driven cycles (motor scooters, motorbikes, and mopeds).

There shall be an uppermost distribution of light, or composite beam, so aimed and of such intensity as to reveal persons and vehicles at a distance of at least 450 feet ahead for all conditions of loading (motorcycles, motor-driven cycles, and mopeds at a distance of at least 300 feet).

Beam Indicator (I think this refers to when Hi-Beams / Brights are on)
20.01 Beam Indicator. Every new motor vehicle registered in this state after January 1, 1948, other than a motorcycle or a motor-driven cycle, which has multiple beam road lighting equipment, shall be equipped with a beam indicator (no certain color required) which shall be lighted whenever the uppermost distribution of light from the head lamp is in use, and shall not be otherwise lighted. Said indicator shall be so designed and located that when lighted it will be readily visible without glare to the driver of the vehicle so equipped.
Horn
20.17 Horn. Every motor vehicle shall be equipped with a horn (electric or air) in good working order and capable of emitting a sound audible for a distance of 200 feet or more, but no horn shall emit an unreasonably loud or harsh sound or a whistle.
Rear license plate lamp
20.18 License Plate Lamp. Either a taillamp or a separate lamp shall be so constructed and placed as to illuminate with a white light the rear registration plate and render it clearly legible for a distance of 50 feet to the rear. Any such lamp shall be so wired as to be lighted when the head lamps or auxiliary driving lamps are lighted.
Rear Reflectors
20.20 Reflectors (Rear). Every motor vehicle, trailer, semitrailer, and pole trailer shall carry on the rear, either as a part of the tail lamps or separately, two or more red reflectors. Motorcycles, motor-driven cycles, and mopeds shall have mounted on the rear, either as a part of the tail lamp or separately, at least one red reflector.
VIN
20.30 Vehicle Identification Number, Motor, or Serial Number. Make an actual physical check of the motor block, frame, or body part where such number is located and record same on the inspection station report. If the vehicle has no such number, write "NONE" on the inspection certificate and on the inspection station report. If such number is obscured, "OBS" should be entered. Station or certified inspector suspension can result from taking this number from the old inspection certificate, title, or registration receipt.

The entire vehicle identification number must be used.

Do not reject a vehicle because it has no vehicle identification number or motor or serial number.
Exhaust System
Side note here. I drive a Dodge SRT-4 which comes from the factory with no mufflers...however the wording makes it sound like the turbo could be considered a "muffler"
20.15 Exhaust System. Every motor vehicle shall at all times be equipped with muffler in good working order and in constant operation.

Muffler defined: Muffler is a device consisting of a series of chambers or baffle plates or other mechanical design for the purpose of receiving exhaust gas from an internal combustion engine and/or turbine wheels for the purpose of receiving exhaust gas from a diesel engine, both of which are effective in reducing noise.

NOTE: Inspection of exhaust systems covers the discharge of exhaust fumes and is not concerned with the noise level.

The TxDOT is pretty hard to navigate.  I will try to find more information about how the car would be registered.  But hope this gives you an idea of what to expect.

Driver

Post by Driver » Thu Dec 22, 2005 6:29 am

Good work! Looks like the only real issue is going to be the headlights, if that. TxDOT cklearly allows for the abscence of the windshield an even the lack of a VIN. I did not see anything relating to fenders but I know Brammo has designed a fuller coverage one for the regs in Washington or Oregon so those should suffice. I'm interesting in what their roadgoing lamps will use. I guess we'll start finding out more in March when they should be hitting the road with their first US built ones.

PS: Welcome, Great first post Westrock!

p38wannabe

Post by p38wannabe » Thu Dec 22, 2005 7:13 am

i second that, great post, have not been on the board for a while but it seems doable according to this post ... now who wants to be the 1st and try it ... ??? ...  ::)

Driver

Post by Driver » Thu Dec 22, 2005 7:46 am

I'm still counting pennies.  :-[ It is going to be interesting to hear how the different states handle it when they hit in the spring. Going to be fairly easy or very hard, i don't think there's going to bemuch middle ground. Keeping my fingers crossed is the easier way.