Registration/Street Legal

State specific issues relating to Atom registration with the DMV
judgecory

Registration/Street Legal

Post by judgecory » Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:09 pm

Hey everyone,

I am relatively new to the group, and am looking to order an Atom in the next 30 days.  The primary use would not be for the track, but a fun/different weekend car.  I am in MN and have reached out to DVS to see how I go about getting it registered, and have been met with resistance.  From DVS:

(operator at DVS) I’m not that familiar with those types of vehicles.  I looked for a picture on-line and I also checked with my supervisor and we don’t believe it would be considered ‘street legal’…if that is the case, MN would not allow it to be registered or titled.

(supervisor at DVS) By looking at the pictures, I would say no.
I would recommend to this customer, before ordering, to check with the manufacturer for clarification that it does or does not meet federal safety requirements.
If it does not, then MN will not allow this to be titled/registered

I know it isn't a federalized vehicle, and I know some states have allowed it to be registered as purchased fully constructed, some have allowed to be registered as a kit car, and others have not allowed registration.  I was under the impression that MN was one that allowed it to be registered, but one had to go about it the right way.  Does anyone in the group have any insight on how to go about this.  Or is it possible to register in another state while not having a permanent residence there?  Any help is very much appreciated.

shortbusspecv

Re: Registration/Street Legal

Post by shortbusspecv » Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:51 am

Well, I'm in Iowa and will be going through the process of registering my Atom when it's delivered later this week or early next week.  After reading the requirements online, I'm confident I'll be able to register it as a kit-car.  It probably won't be as simple as most car registrations, but with a few "upgrades", it seems to fit (parking brake, windshield, etc).

Here's the link to MN's rules: http://www.bipac.net/semaga/TagTitleToolbox_MN.pdf

Hopefully that helps! 

It might sound silly -- but you're probably going to have to risk it a bit and just take the chance of it not being registered... I had to... Our local DOT office wouldn't commit to it.  Even after I took photos of every feature they needed and marked them up with arrows and everything.  An in-person inspection is the only way to certify it.

Best of luck!  The cars are SUPER fun!

Upshift

Post by Upshift » Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:41 am

You might also check into registering a car that has already been titled in another state.  Feel free to send me a PM, or give me a call and we can talk further.

-Franz
623-910-3020

judgecory

Post by judgecory » Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:05 pm

Thank you both for your responses.  AZAtom, I will shoot you a PM.  I have wondered if one would be more likely to be approved if it already had a VIN number. 

shortbusspecv, thank you for sending the info and best of luck getting yours registered.  I am willing to risk it and order one if I can get a good enough feeling from our DVS, but thus far I haven't gotten that.  I am not quite sure how these are less safe than a motorcycle, so I don't understand why they aren't allowed on the street in many cases. 

Thank you both again,

CJ

FourFather

Post by FourFather » Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:55 pm

The preowned Atom II that I have for sale was registered (and daily-driven, I heard) in Washington, and I have the license plates, now non-current.  Mine is heavily optioned and track-focused, but has the street equipment also,- lights, parking brake, etc.  The ad is on the forum here as Preowned Ariel Atom II, Honda powered, for sale in Texas.

Good luck with your quest.  If you get one, you are in for some serious fun!  :vroom:  :checkeredflag:

Eddie ;D

judgecory

Post by judgecory » Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:34 pm

Thank you Eddie, I will take a look at it.

rijowysock

Post by rijowysock » Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:24 am

[quote="judgecory"]
Hey everyone,

I am relatively new to the group, and am looking to order an Atom in the next 30 days.  The primary use would not be for the track, but a fun/different weekend car.  I am in MN and have reached out to DVS to see how I go about getting it registered, and have been met with resistance.  From DVS:

(operator at DVS) I’m not that familiar with those types of vehicles.  I looked for a picture on-line and I also checked with my supervisor and we don’t believe it would be considered ‘street legal’…if that is the case, MN would not allow it to be registered or titled.

(supervisor at DVS) By looking at the pictures, I would say no.
I would recommend to this customer, before ordering, to check with the manufacturer for clarification that it does or does not meet federal safety requirements.
If it does not, then MN will not allow this to be titled/registered

I know it isn't a federalized vehicle, and I know some states have allowed it to be registered as purchased fully constructed, some have allowed to be registered as a kit car, and others have not allowed registration.  I was under the impression that MN was one that allowed it to be registered, but one had to go about it the right way.  Does anyone in the group have any insight on how to go about this.  Or is it possible to register in another state while not having a permanent residence there?  Any help is very much appreciated.
[/quote]

main problem: reaching out to local anything and discussing the vehicle.. everytime a conversation is started you run a high chance of them "Asking someone higher up" preventing registration for future vehicles..

the process needs to be done precisely and exactly to ensure future registration and lack of issues..

their is a proper way that ANYONE IN ANY STATE can own an atom... yes, ANY state... but it's very precise.. and every time a question is asked to someone in an office.. this chance gets slimmer and slimmer.