Forum logon

Tips and useful information relating specifically to the use of the forum.
benyeats

Forum logon

Post by benyeats » Thu Mar 22, 2007 9:54 am

Hello,

My logon has stopped working at home.  Running latest version of Mozilla but suspect this is not the problem as I am posting from same here at work.

Previously the 'unread post since last visit' never worked on my home machine (although 'all unread topics' did) so something odd was happening

I have cleared cookies and restarted but no dice.  Works fine from IE but I hate IE !

Any suggestions ?

Ben

ross

Re: Forum logon

Post by ross » Thu Mar 22, 2007 10:00 am

Hi Ben,

I also had this problem with Firefox following the forum upgrade but clearing all of it's history, cookies, passwords etc fixed it.

All I can suggest if you've tried all the above, is to completely uninstall and reinstall FireFox.  If that still doesn't work, I guess I can have a dig around in the SMF backend, but I'm a bit loathed to start hacking away at the database to be honest if it's only affecting a couple of users.

Cheers, Ross.

Alec

Post by Alec » Thu Mar 22, 2007 5:18 pm

I haven't had a problem with logon but the 'unread post since last visit' has never worked properly since the forum upgrade.

Sometimes threads aren't listed and sometimes they are so it's hard to keep up with certain discussions.
Atom 245, (Atom 160 - SOLD), Yamaha XVZ1300 Royal Star, Ford Sierra 4X4 Ghia Estate, Skoda Octavia vRS Estate, VW Golf 2.0 TSI GTI (Nadine's)

redace

Post by redace » Thu Mar 22, 2007 5:59 pm

I didn't realise I had this problem 'til you pointed it out, but I've missed several threads including my new Atom-owning neighbour  :o

benyeats

Post by benyeats » Thu Mar 22, 2007 9:31 pm

[quote="Ross McWilliam"]
Hi Ben,

I also had this problem with Firefox following the forum upgrade but clearing all of it's history, cookies, passwords etc fixed it.

All I can suggest if you've tried all the above, is to completely uninstall and reinstall FireFox.  If that still doesn't work, I guess I can have a dig around in the SMF backend, but I'm a bit loathed to start hacking away at the database to be honest if it's only affecting a couple of users.

Cheers, Ross.
[/quote]

Will give this a go later on and report back

Ben

benyeats

Post by benyeats » Fri Mar 23, 2007 12:03 am

Right re-installed Mozilla and still get the following message

"Forbidden
You don't have permission to access /index.php on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.
Apache/1.3.36 Server at forum.atomclub.com Port 80"

Same version of Mozilla on laptop and at work and it is fine, just this machine has a problem.  Suggests to me something not Mozilla related, any other ideas ?

Ben

Bruce Fielding

Post by Bruce Fielding » Fri Mar 23, 2007 7:19 am

I'm using Firefox 2.0.0.3 and no problems...
Ariel Atom Owners Club founder, based in Central London

AtomFun

Post by AtomFun » Fri Mar 23, 2007 8:27 am

Can you run a tracert from the command prompt?

Driver

Post by Driver » Fri Mar 23, 2007 8:42 am

Safari on MacOSX just fine on my Mac Pro...

IE on a new XP SP2 install (including the 75 PLUS :o updates after that) and it works ok there as well. Also on my Mac Pro (via Dual Booting).

Sounds like a cookies related thing.

benyeats

Post by benyeats » Fri Mar 23, 2007 9:59 am

[quote="Bruce Fielding"]
I'm using Firefox 2.0.0.3 and no problems...
[/quote]

As am I on the two other machines I use, just my main home PC that is being a PITA.

Will re-install firefox again later, I am not sure that uninstalling completely wiped it as it still managed to 'know' all my old bookmarks (which I had exported but did not need to import)

Ben

Driver

Post by Driver » Fri Mar 23, 2007 10:06 am

Uninstalling a web browser rarely removes the cookies and bookmarks as they are stored elsewhere.

benyeats

Post by benyeats » Fri Mar 23, 2007 11:06 am

[quote="Driver"]
Uninstalling a web browser rarely removes the cookies and bookmarks as they are stored elsewhere.
[/quote]

Correct, I should also mention I cleared the cookies before the uninstall.  Will trackdown the bookmark store and remove all traces of the previous install

Ben

benyeats

Post by benyeats » Mon Mar 26, 2007 9:09 am

Right a completely fresh install this time (deleted every mention of the word 'Mozilla' from every place I could find it).  It let me logon the first time no problems then back to same error.  Other thing to mention is I imported my old bookmarks inbetween it working and not working but don't see how this could matter.

Any more suggestions / links to the old version of Mozilla !

Ben

Driver

Post by Driver » Mon Mar 26, 2007 12:47 pm

Might be a Mozilla incompatibility with the new version of the SMF Forum software perhaps? Time for  FireFox?

benyeats

Post by benyeats » Mon Mar 26, 2007 1:00 pm

[quote="Driver"]
Might be a Mozilla incompatibility with the new version of the SMF Forum software perhaps? Time for  FireFox?
[/quote]

Sorry again I have not been clear, this is with Mozilla Firefox 2.0.0.3 which works fine on my other PCs so I think it is more likely to be a windows XP problem.

Ben