embedding flash?

Tips and useful information relating specifically to the use of the forum.
bolus

embedding flash?

Post by bolus » Sat Feb 03, 2007 12:47 am

I was looking through the user manual for this type of forum and t appears there is a function to allow users to embed flash in a post

http://docs.simplemachines.org/index.php?topic=735
Using:
[flash][/flash]

Is this enabled and could we use it to embed flash videos like the ones on you tube

ex:
[flash]http://www.youtube.com/player2.swf?vide ... DC848F75CD[/flash]

Driver

Re: embedding flash?

Post by Driver » Sat Feb 03, 2007 2:40 am

May or not apply to this version of SMF (1.0.9).  I think the latest is 1.1.1. Did you notice if it applied to previous versions? If it's just a acceptable tag to add to the config file then Ross might be able to do it.
Last edited by Driver on Sat Feb 03, 2007 3:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Driver

Post by Driver » Sat Feb 03, 2007 3:10 am

I looked into it a little and Flash (at least the button for it) is in the advanced edit window, has to either be the version YouTube uses or a extension issue in the config file. Server Admin is going to have to look into it to see any more than that.

bolus

Post by bolus » Sat Feb 03, 2007 3:20 am

Using the

Code: Select all

[flash=200,200][/flash]
above does not work.  Like this for example should theoretically work

Code: Select all

[flash=200,200]http://bolus.shackspace.com/ultimateshowdown.swf[/flash]

See, it just creates a link and not embed the flash

Driver

Post by Driver » Sat Feb 03, 2007 4:06 am

yeah I know. Tried it myself. has to be something in the configuration at the server level or this version of SMF altogether. Not something a moderator has access to. Server Admin (Ross) would need to check into it.

ross

Post by ross » Sat Feb 03, 2007 10:02 am

No it's currently disabled, apparently embedded flash can pose a security threat (according to the forum help files anyhow).

Driver, if you want to do a bit more digging on this, I'm open to being persuaded to enabling it.

Cheers, Ross.

Driver

Post by Driver » Sat Feb 03, 2007 10:33 am

It's no big deal to me I hate Flash. No need to go digging further. Now that you mention it I can understand the security issues, remember a Windows Virus(s) that was spread using Flash to worm it's way onto your system. I believe that also why some browsers (Firefox) has settings to turn it off altogether unless you authorize the site. I don't worry about it on my platform of choice but can see the reasoning.

I'll add to this that YouTube really kinda sucks if you look at it from a quality issue. low res files, etc...  I feel like it's Mpeg1 quality when we had that 15 years ago.  But of course, many of the Flash files linked have nothing to do with Atoms. MPEG4 is where it's at if you are trying to post your own files. And the AtomGallery will accept them.

bolus

Post by bolus » Sat Feb 03, 2007 3:53 pm

:(

sucks about security stuff.  I was mostly hoping to embed video.  Driver and Ross, no offense, but the gallery is kind of crappy.  It's not easy to use and I dont think I'll be using it regularly.  I put up a couple of pics but that will probably be it.  I feel youtube work fine for a quick video.

Plus you dont want to be hosting massive mpeg4 video on your own site.  It would really eat up your bandwidth.  For example, my silly little video of me detailing the car is a 21mb mpeg4 file.  It has been watched on youtube 160 times since I posted it 5 days ago.  that equals 3.2 gb.  that's a lot of bandwidth. 

I'd still love to see the flash turned on. Everyone has flash installed and a large number of websites use it.  I dont think it would pose a giant risk here. 

Driver

Post by Driver » Sat Feb 03, 2007 7:00 pm

In their quest for giving us 'video" Google and YouTube has definitely catered to those less demanding.  I like the idea behind YouTube, I just think the implementation and the limited output options for Flash sets such a low standard for video. It's unworthy of wasting the time to d/l it 95% of the time. This is the era of High Speed connections and that's what we get?

Your 21mb mp4 file, straight out of the camera or after you save it? there are many variables. I've got 10 minutes to fit down into 60MB or less easily (TopGear  Atom Video - widescreen, stereo, millions of colors). It just takes a little experimentation.

As far as the Flash security issue. If Ross were to turn it on, and someone posted one video that infected our users then that's one risk too many. Easy enough for people to open the video in a new window.

And I'm working on the AtomGallery to make it easier. It's only been 5 days, we know a software update is needed, etc... It's still not that difficult though.