How do i get an Adobe PDf file on the web?

Tips and useful information relating specifically to the use of the forum.
Adam T

How do i get an Adobe PDf file on the web?

Post by Adam T » Sun Dec 17, 2006 5:38 pm

I have converted a word document to an Adobe PDF file and collected it from Adobe.com.  But how do i now put it on the web so people can look at it.  For example, Bruce had a link to a PDF file for the 2006 photo competition winners.  You obviously can not download it on photobucket.com (i have tried), so what do i do?

Cheers for anyones help.
Adam T

benyeats

Re: How do i get an Adobe PDf file on the web?

Post by benyeats » Sun Dec 17, 2006 5:39 pm

Adam,

Exactly the same principal as photos, you need to find some webspace to host it on then link to the URL.

Ben

Alec

Post by Alec » Sun Dec 17, 2006 6:17 pm

You can attach it using the "Additional Options..." like this:-
Attachments
file.pdf
(1.39 KiB) Downloaded 123 times
Atom 245, (Atom 160 - SOLD), Yamaha XVZ1300 Royal Star, Ford Sierra 4X4 Ghia Estate, Skoda Octavia vRS Estate, VW Golf 2.0 TSI GTI (Nadine's)

Adam T

Post by Adam T » Sun Dec 17, 2006 6:44 pm

Sorry, where did you find the 'additional options' button.  I can not seem to find it.

Also, which web space would host it for example?

Alec

Post by Alec » Sun Dec 17, 2006 6:48 pm

[quote="Adam T"]
Sorry, where did you find the 'additional options' button.  I can not seem to find it.

Also, which web space would host it for example?
[/quote]

When you press "Quote" or "Reply" it is below the box you type your message in.

It then uploads it from your computer to the forum (I think) so I don't even think you have to keep your own copy.
Atom 245, (Atom 160 - SOLD), Yamaha XVZ1300 Royal Star, Ford Sierra 4X4 Ghia Estate, Skoda Octavia vRS Estate, VW Golf 2.0 TSI GTI (Nadine's)

KK

Post by KK » Sun Dec 17, 2006 6:49 pm

[quote="Adam T"]
[/quote]

If you use the quick reply window press the Preview button and then its underneath your typing window which will come up.

Adam T

Post by Adam T » Sun Dec 17, 2006 6:53 pm

NICE ONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D :D

I have just opened my eyes and seen the massive, in bold writing of Aditional options.  Thank you!!!

What a cool option.

Adam T

Post by Adam T » Sun Dec 17, 2006 6:57 pm

Bummer.  Just tried to down load but the forum only allows you to down load 128kB of info.  My document is 248KB.  If i can break it down then great, otherwise do you know of a web site that will host this file.

KK

Post by KK » Sun Dec 17, 2006 7:04 pm

[quote="Adam T"]
Bummer.  Just tried to down load but the forum only allows you to down load 128kB of info.  My document is 248KB.  If i can break it down then great, otherwise do you know of a web site that will host this file.
[/quote]

Adam, eMail me the file (don't need the Word, Acrobat is o.k. unless password protected) and I will break it into smaller pieces or I may even be able to compress it using Adobe Acrobat Writer. You can upload up to 4 files of 128k each. My eMail address is in my profile.

Adam T

Post by Adam T » Sun Dec 17, 2006 7:14 pm

Thanks very much. :angel:  i have just chopped my file in half and i am going to try and download it on to Adobe first separately.  If this does not work then i will get back to you.

Cheers :tu:

Bruce Fielding

Post by Bruce Fielding » Sun Dec 17, 2006 7:24 pm

Adam... as a club member, you can upload it to the gallery - that'll take bigger files
Ariel Atom Owners Club founder, based in Central London

Adam T

Post by Adam T » Sun Dec 17, 2006 7:30 pm

Ah, roger that.  I will have a look at that now. Cheers

Adam T

Post by Adam T » Sun Dec 17, 2006 11:00 pm

Err, sorry for being thick but how do i download a file on to the Atom club gallery.  Again i can not see any obvious buttons to press.  Also i have tried logging in to the gallery page with the same password as i use for the club page but it does not work.

Please help this pathetic man :-[

Tim Arnold

Post by Tim Arnold » Mon Dec 18, 2006 10:03 pm

Adam as a favour if you email it to me I'll upload it to my web server and email you back a link to it.

Other than than that there are loads of free web hosting packages available with such as MSN and Yahoo! For example: http://geocities.yahoo.com/ where you can upload files and then link to them.

Or, for £35 you can have a year's hosting on a professional server with your own domain name... providing it is available you could have your own top-level domain name, adamt.com for example... just checked, it isn't available, but adm-t.com is so you could have www.adam-t.com with my hosting business for £35 per year... then you could have your own website and email (adam@adam-t.com for example), you can have your own forum, photo gallery, you get web stats, you can even check your email in a web browser from any computer in the world and it will still download to your own computer in Outlook or Outlook Express when you get home!... the package comes with full web browser based control panel access so you don't even need to use ftp to upload files you just use the file manager in the cpanel and it's just like saving files to a folder on your own computer! It's as easy as posting on this forum!  :)

But if all that's too much just send me the bloody file and I'll put it on mine for you! It's Christmas after all! LOL  :)

Tim

Tim Arnold

Post by Tim Arnold » Mon Dec 18, 2006 10:35 pm

This is a screen grab of the cpanel on my website: