Hosting photos and linking them from the forum

Tips and useful information relating specifically to the use of the forum.
PAJ

Hosting photos and linking them from the forum

Post by PAJ » Tue Sep 20, 2016 7:31 pm

I've been having trouble with this for years ! I once managed it with Flickr, but it was fiddly. I just want somewhere I can upload the odd photo to, which will allow me to take that full url of the image and link directly from a forum post to show the image on the forum (rather than linking back to an album stored on the original host website. I don't really want to go back to Flickr. I just tried google photo's and can't get a link to the actual image. There has to be an easy way to do this ?
    It's fairly straightforward with your own webspace, but I don't have this now, nor the ftp program to upload. Why do I find technology so hard ! :(

reg

Re: Hosting photos and linking them from the forum

Post by reg » Tue Sep 20, 2016 8:13 pm

I found flickr ok.

On Flickr, click on the picture you have uploaded. Then go to the 'Share Photo' icon bendy arrow and select 'BBCode' copy and paste that into your post. Done.

ImageDSC_0398 by roo_p, on Flickr

If you look at the code you can work out where things fit. It's the same sequence every time. The picture is the first part of the [url] and everything after the [/img] is just free advertising for the site.
'he was reet fast'

PAJ

Post by PAJ » Tue Sep 20, 2016 8:57 pm

Thanks, that's great advice. I've been unable to revive my previous Flickr account, I think I'll have to start another under a different email address. I'll give it a shot :)

Karl V

Post by Karl V » Mon Jun 22, 2020 4:18 pm

Posting pictures has always been a bit fiddly, but we've tried to make the process easier over the past year or so. Plus, given there have been a few new members join recently, I thought this thread could possible do with an update, so here it is...

There are 2 main ways to post an image:

Link to it using the Media button in the menu

image.png
image.png (1.6 KiB) Viewed 1536 times
Attach it through either Copy / Paste or Uploading

Attaching is the preferred option because if you link to a picture that gets deleted or moves, the link will break - obvs.

Rather than bore everyone with pages of instructions, here's a quick vid...

Karl V

Post by Karl V » Mon Jun 22, 2020 7:10 pm

UPDATE: [mention]phil4[/mention] was right - you can also drag and drop images from your PC rather than that image upload malarky.

Another gratuitous vid...