Some forum features

Tips and useful information relating specifically to the use of the forum.
Richard Marler
Administrator

Some forum features

Post by Richard Marler » Sun Oct 21, 2012 1:56 pm

I have been going through some of the forum options to see if any would improve members' experience.

I note that there is currently a limit on the size of posted pictures at 800 x 600. This could be increased to a slightly more modern 1024 x 768. Worth it or not? The kb limit is 128kb per attachment.

Would you like the ability to ignore certain boards?

I have removed Bruce's swear filter, as general opinion seems to be against it. I guess if this change gets abused it may come back, but I hope not.
Atom 3 300. Surrey, England.

Sir Nick

Re: Some forum features

Post by Sir Nick » Sun Oct 21, 2012 4:41 pm

1024 x 768!  That would be the dogs bollocks {in the interests of filter testing you understand}
Atom 3.5R, Black+Red flashes, CF front & rear wings, CF bonnet & mud guards.  Bristol

NormLarson

Post by NormLarson » Sun Oct 21, 2012 4:58 pm

This is only a test, ... Caterham ...

Yes to bigger piktars

Terry Kennedy

Post by Terry Kennedy » Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:09 am

Richard Marler wrote: I note that there is currently a limit on the size of posted pictures at 800 x 600. This could be increased to a slightly more modern 1024 x 768. Worth it or not? The kb limit is 128kb per attachment.
Is this the absolute image limit, or can a picture be inlined with {img}{/img} tags that's bigger than that?

In most cases, I try to keep the image size reasonable (my images are served from my own server, so they don't take up space on the atomclub.com server), and if I feel a bigger size is warranted, I'll set up my post so clicking on the smaller size which is shown in the post takes you to a page with the large version.

Depending on how people are viewing the site, any particular size is likely "too large" or "too small". I read this forum on a desktop with a 2560 x 1600 display and also occasionally on my Android phone.

One thing which some software has (not sure about SMF) is the ability to re-size images on the fly to fit the user's browser window size. The finalgear.com forums do this, and it generates an automatic "click here for the full-size image".
Would you like the ability to ignore certain boards?
Not exactly an ignore list, but it would be convenient for me if I could mark some boards as "included in 'show new posts'" and others as not. That way I could click the "show new posts" button and see what's new in the areas I read regularly, but I could still browse other boards when I have more time.