Mod_Security issues

Tips and useful information relating specifically to the use of the forum.
Richard Marler
Administrator

Mod_Security issues

Post by Richard Marler » Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:58 am

The company that hosts this site have implemented some new security (without telling anyone about it). As a result some users were having trouble posting on the forum. In particular posts with URLs were causing problems. This issue is now resolved.

One user even got blocked for trying to post a URL. This block has now been removed and the problem should not arise again.

There maybe, however, other issues related to the Mod_Security rules that we have not yet identified. If you have any new problems (problems that you had not experienced until the last few days), please report them here and I will look into them.

typo (copy and paste error) corrected
Last edited by Richard Marler on Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Atom 3 300. Surrey, England.

John Scherrer
Global Moderator

Re: Mod_secuity issues

Post by John Scherrer » Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:14 pm

Mod_Security ..
Atom 3 310 Supercharged (2011), Now Sold

Richard Marler
Administrator

Re: Mod_Security issues

Post by Richard Marler » Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:22 am

Apologies for the forum being down yesterday. The hosts had changed permissions on the main forum index.php, due to "suspicious load or activity".

Unfortunately I was at a wedding all day yesterday, so only started looking into the problem at 12:30pm. The hosts fixed the problem immediately, having first blamed me for not reporting the problem sooner. I know the support is probably based in India, so there may be some language issues, but I did not expect to be told "you didn't even report it to us immediately".

Having switched back the permissions on the file, I asked for a log showing why it had been changed in the first place, only to be told that the log didn't exist any more, as they had now fixed the problem. "That's useful" I told him. He said he would make a note on our file to show us a log in future, before turning off our site. "Is there anything else I can help you with today?" No I think you have done quite enough. "You may receive a short survey, to help us better serve you." I don't think you want me filling out that survey. "OK, thank you."
Atom 3 300. Surrey, England.

John Scherrer
Global Moderator

Re: Mod_Security issues

Post by John Scherrer » Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:23 am

Thanks for sorting that Richard !

The joys of outsourced off-shore IT Support eh?

Pity there's no one in the club living next to an exchange with a spare server!
Atom 3 310 Supercharged (2011), Now Sold