Upgraded to latest version of forum...

Tips and useful information relating specifically to the use of the forum.
ross

Re: Upgraded to latest version of forum...

Post by ross » Thu Mar 08, 2007 4:33 pm

Oh I see, I wonder if it worked for me because I'm an admin.  I guess it probably was.

To be honest, I think it's reasonable for the maximum size of linked photos to be fixed at 800 x 600.  If you link to a bigger one then it'll just get resized for the sake of other forum users.  Sorry for that, but there needs to be a bit of give and take on this stuff.  It's generally poor practice to link to massive photos in forum posts.

Cheers, Ross.

ross

Post by ross » Thu Mar 08, 2007 4:34 pm

Looks like I must have been mistaken, I can't even edit the image sizes either.

Driver

Post by Driver » Thu Mar 08, 2007 5:00 pm

Image and width attributes are not part of BBCode that I know of. You need to think of BBCode as dumbed down HTML.  The forum translates BB tags into HTML/XML/CSS as needed for browser display.

ross

Post by ross » Thu Mar 08, 2007 5:39 pm

No, I think those tags do work if the resizing feature of linked photos is not enabled.

Cheers, Ross.

Driver

Post by Driver » Thu Mar 08, 2007 8:08 pm

I'll bet you money. SMF, PHP BB, Vbulletin.. etc.. Never seen it as part of the standard forum software out there. Any resizing options have always been an option in the Global User settings or the Admin settings of the board itself. My AtomFund needs an infusion... :)

ross

Post by ross » Thu Mar 08, 2007 8:51 pm

Sorry, you lose ;)  Seems to work fine.  I'll leave the auto-resizing option off for a while for you to try yourself.  ;)

Cheers, Ross.

Driver

Post by Driver » Fri Mar 09, 2007 5:28 am

Test Pic

[img height=200 width=800]http://www.promotors.com/zLo/txflagbar.gif[/img]

Well what do you know.. first time i've seen this in BBcode. You should've put some money on it (glad i didn't). :)

{Edit, changed image in code to be 800 wide x200h}
Last edited by Driver on Fri Mar 09, 2007 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ross

Post by ross » Fri Mar 09, 2007 8:22 am

Okay, that's cleared up.  I'll set the forum to auto resize any linked images over 800x600.

Cheers, Ross.

Alec

Post by Alec » Fri Mar 09, 2007 10:53 am

[quote="Ross McWilliam"]
Okay, that's cleared up.  I'll set the forum to auto resize any linked images over 800x600.

Cheers, Ross.
[/quote]

When you do this, will it make Driver's txflagbar.gif above at 1400x480 pixels fit on the screen by resizing it to 800x600 pixels?

If it does, it will help a lot as in the past large embedded photos meant that the writing on the same page disappeared off the screen with them and it was very hard to read as often the scroll bar was off the bottom as well making it time consuming to read.

I look forward to this change and hope it doesn't involve a lot so isn't too far in the future.
Atom 245, (Atom 160 - SOLD), Yamaha XVZ1300 Royal Star, Ford Sierra 4X4 Ghia Estate, Skoda Octavia vRS Estate, VW Golf 2.0 TSI GTI (Nadine's)

ross

Post by ross » Fri Mar 09, 2007 11:13 am

Yes that's correct, although I don't think it acts retrospectively (although the previous limit I'd set was 640x480 so that shouldn't be a problem.

Cheers, Ross.

Alec

Post by Alec » Fri Mar 09, 2007 11:50 am

It's a pity it isn't retrospective but checking back at some of the large photos regarding AtomFest, there does seem to be one improvement.

The writing on the page with these photos now seems to stop at the edge of the screen instead of continuing on above it and out of view, which makes reading the info much easier.
Atom 245, (Atom 160 - SOLD), Yamaha XVZ1300 Royal Star, Ford Sierra 4X4 Ghia Estate, Skoda Octavia vRS Estate, VW Golf 2.0 TSI GTI (Nadine's)

Driver

Post by Driver » Fri Mar 09, 2007 4:11 pm

Ross good deal. Heck even at 1080 my test image above is making me scroll and I'm full screening it at the moment. wait....

I just set it to be 800 wide and it all falls into place.

Folks the image resizing works at Upload as it looks at the image and see's if it's bigger. If you go in and TELL it to be bigger in the bbcode 'tag' it ignores the size restriction.

bolus

Post by bolus » Sun Mar 11, 2007 9:35 pm

Picture resizing still doesnt work for me.  It must just be enabled for the mods. 

if I post this:

Code: Select all

[img width=1036 height=777]http://bolus.shackspace.com/atom/3-11-07_1.jpg[/img]
[img width=1036 height=777]http://bolus.shackspace.com/atom/3-11-07_2.jpg[/img]
[img width=1036 height=777]http://bolus.shackspace.com/atom/3-11-07_3.jpg[/img]
they still get converted to 800x600.  Even if I got back and try to change it again

KK

Post by KK » Sun Mar 11, 2007 9:43 pm

[quote="bolus"]
Picture resizing still doesnt work for me.  It must just be enabled for the mods. 

if I post this:

Code: Select all

[img width=1036 height=777]http://bolus.shackspace.com/atom/3-11-07_1.jpg[/img]
they still get converted to 800x600.  Even if I got back and try to change it again
[/quote]

But that's exactly what it should do based upon my understanding and what Ross has mentioned further above when stating:

[quote="Ross McWilliam"]
[/quote]

In other words pictures larger than 800x600 are automa[tg]ically resized to 800x600. You may however be able to select a smaller size, but no larger size.