delete post option gone?

Tips and useful information relating specifically to the use of the forum.
Bruce Fielding

Re: delete post option gone?

Post by Bruce Fielding » Fri Apr 13, 2007 8:59 am

(Best Mrs Doyle voice)

GWAN, GWAN, GWAN
Ariel Atom Owners Club founder, based in Central London

Alec

Post by Alec » Fri Apr 13, 2007 9:35 am

[quote="benyeats"]
[quote="1st Austrian Atom 2 [Klaus]"]
I know what you mean - you can simply modify your post to be empty.

But that triggers the question why the delete post option is restricted if you can achieve the same result by other means. And it was available before.

If one does this, one might rightly be called a post whore though. Not adding value, but increasing the post count ...
I doubt whether that's the intention of the forum.
[/quote]

Actually on Pistonheads I started a thread that was deleted, and as such the posts were removed from my tally so deleting threads does not help post whore wise ! (at least with that particular forum SW)

If enough other forum users agree I will test this by deleting the movie and song title threads ;)

Ben
[/quote]

[quote="Bruce Fielding"]
(Best Mrs Doyle voice)

GWAN, GWAN, GWAN
[/quote]

All this talk about deleting these two threads when they were both started by Moderators, as shown in the first post for each below.

One even states that they can reach over 600 pages, yet ours has only reached 389 to date.

Song Title Game
[quote="Bruce Fielding"]
We haven't had one of those REALLY long pointless threads on this newish Forum yet - let's start one with this song title game (I've seen this get to over 600 pages!) :

Simple rules.

The next song title has to use a word from the previous song title and quote the artiste responsible.

Example:

Post 1 = School's out - Alice Cooper

Post 2 = Beauty school dropout - Grease soundtrack
[/quote]

Movie Title Game
[quote="Driver"]
To complement Bruce's Song Title Game here's dah.... duh... duh (imagine the 20th Century Fox's searchlight intro)

The Movie Title Game

Another one of those REALLY long pointless threads - let's continue with this Movie Title Game :

Simple rules.

Each new movie title uses a word from the previous Movie Title and states who one of the lead actors were.

Example:

Post 1 = Mission Impossible - Tom Cruise

Post 2 = Laser Mission - Brandon Lee

yet another useless thread to take up time....
[/quote]

Also, despite the posts on both threads reaching a total of nearly 9000, they have been viewed over 38000 times so this shows they do attract interest.

If the concensus is to delete them, then go ahead as I just do it as a bit of fun in between reading all the other threads.

I do try to put a bit more thought into it by either trying to carry on a theme or by responding with a related title such:-

Love Grows (Where My Rosemary Goes) - Edison Lighthouse

followed by

Love In Bloom - Bing Crosby

:pop:
Atom 245, (Atom 160 - SOLD), Yamaha XVZ1300 Royal Star, Ford Sierra 4X4 Ghia Estate, Skoda Octavia vRS Estate, VW Golf 2.0 TSI GTI (Nadine's)

KK

Post by KK » Fri Apr 13, 2007 9:40 am

[quote="benyeats"]
Actually on Pistonheads I started a thread that was deleted, and as such the posts were removed from my tally so deleting threads does not help post whore wise ! (at least with that particular forum SW)
[/quote]
Slight misunderstanding here: You are absolutely right - deleting a post or a complete thread removes the affected count of posts from your tally. No doubt about that.

What I was referring to is the alternate option of removing content by emptying posts. Those posts will stay and will increase the post count, but they don't add any value at all and as such could be deleted as well (provided the forum allows this).

That's why I think that the option to delete own single posts is better rather than just having empty posts inbetween in case one wants to withdraw his writing.

KK

Post by KK » Fri Apr 13, 2007 9:43 am

[quote="Alec"]
I do try to put a bit more thought into it by either trying to carry on a theme or by responding with a related title ...
[/quote]
Fully second that - I am always amazed about Alec's knowledge in the Sog Title Game. His answers are always spot on and releated to the previous one.

benyeats

Post by benyeats » Fri Apr 13, 2007 9:58 am

[quote="Alec"]

Also, despite the posts on both threads reaching a total of nearly 9000, they have been viewed over 38000 times so this shows they do attract interest.

[/quote]

I suspect the views are from anal people like me who can't stand having unread threads in their 'show unread post page' so open the threads then immediatly close them (I know I could do mark as read but for some reason I don't)  This annoyance is the only reason I can think of to delete them !

Ben

Driver

Post by Driver » Fri Apr 13, 2007 1:01 pm

Funny Ben, I feel the exact same way about the X-Bow threads. All they do is take up space in my Unread list and annoy me. ;)

benyeats

Post by benyeats » Fri Apr 13, 2007 1:07 pm

[quote="Driver"]
Funny Ben, I feel the exact same way about the X-Bow threads. All they do is take up space in my Unread list and annoy me. ;)
[/quote]

I am thinking of staring a poll on this important issue !

Ben

Karl

Post by Karl » Fri Apr 13, 2007 4:07 pm

[quote="Bruce Fielding"]
It may be that those who have not joined the AAOC aren't able to. Not stating this as fact, but I know you're right about what options are available to you, Klaus.

Alec is a club member and so may have extra rights...
[/quote]

I think this observation is correct.

John Lloyd

Post by John Lloyd » Fri Apr 13, 2007 6:37 pm

[quote="Alec"]
I do try to put a bit more thought into it by either trying to carry on a theme or by responding with a related title ...
[/quote]
Fully second that - I am always amazed about Alec's knowledge in the Sog Title Game. His answers are always spot on and releated to the previous one.
[/quote]

It's a good job you left out the N rather than get it in the wrong place "snog" title game.  ;D ;D

There's no thought in repeating songs from earlier posts which must be happening by now and why are we stuck on love songs?  Last time I tried to join in both Alec and Klaus got upset, because I moved off the love theme.  This was something they dreamed up half way through the thread and got annoyed I moved off "topic", well buddies I was here way before you two and Klaus, when the thread first started it had no other rule than the new title must contain a word from the previous title so no wonder Alec "is always spot on and related to the previous one".  ;)  ;D  (Rant over)
Last edited by John Lloyd on Fri Apr 13, 2007 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KK

Post by KK » Fri Apr 13, 2007 6:56 pm

[quote="John Lloyd"]
There's no thought in repeating songs from earlier posts which must be happening by now and why are we stuck on love songs?  Last time I tried to join in both Alec and Klaus got upset, because I moved off the love theme.  This was something they dreamed up half way through the thread and got annoyed I moved off "topic", well buddies I was here way before you two and Klaus, when the thread first started it had no other rule than the new title must contain a word from the previous title so no wonder Alec "is always spot on and related to the previous one".  ;)  ;D  (Rant over)
[/quote]
Agreed, there's not much point repeating songs and I think I have not posted too many repetitions (can't rule that completely out though). Why are we stuck: I think love is probably the most used word in a song title. And we play by the rules - love follows love :angel:

Anyway John, there's one other rule and that is: You need to be quick enough to jump in-between. And in that evening your rant refers to you simply haven't been up to speed (on the forum that is). See here for yourself
You have even tried to delete all traces by using the option this thread is all about 8). Glad I have used the quote function. ;D

I definitely was NOT upset, obviously can't speak for Alec, but I suggest you need to work on your reflexes (on the forum - not in the car though).  ;) ;D

John Lloyd

Post by John Lloyd » Fri Apr 13, 2007 7:09 pm

[quote="John Lloyd"]
[/quote]
Agreed, there's not much point repeating songs and I think I have not posted too many repetitions (can't rule that completely out though). Why are we stuck: I think love is probably the most used word in a song title. And we play by the rules - love follows love :angel:

Anyway John, there's one other rule and that is: You need to be quick enough to jump in-between. And in that evening your rant refers to you simply haven't been up to speed (on the forum that is). See here for yourself
You have even tried to delete all traces by using the option this thread is all about 8). Glad I have used the quote function. ;D

I definitely was NOT upset, obviously can't speak for Alec, but I suggest you need to work on your reflexes (on the forum - not in the car though).  ;) ;D
[/quote]

Look at the time of the thread and the date.  It was a Sunday, Sunday = quiz night at the  pub = more than a bottle of red (per person) = my reaction times being "slow".

Alec

Post by Alec » Fri Apr 13, 2007 9:45 pm

I definitely was NOT upset, obviously can't speak for Alec,.......................
[/quote]

If I came across as being upset then I am sorry as I didn't mean to.  :angel:

I don't actually mind it going off a theme as it's fun getting it back on again, just like it's fun trying to tie the song that follows on with words of a similar meaning as well as using a word from the previous song as stated in the rules.

It just makes it more of a game to me and it's a way of educating people with songs and artists that they may not have heard before. (The Teacher in me coming out I suppose)

I do search every time now so that I don't repeat a song title but it is surprising how many titles have been repeated in the past though.
Atom 245, (Atom 160 - SOLD), Yamaha XVZ1300 Royal Star, Ford Sierra 4X4 Ghia Estate, Skoda Octavia vRS Estate, VW Golf 2.0 TSI GTI (Nadine's)

John Lloyd

Post by John Lloyd » Fri Apr 13, 2007 10:37 pm

[quote="Alec"]
I don't actually mind it going off a theme
[/quote]

Read the f'ing rules to the thread there are no themes to go off >:( and try to get back to.

See your post number 78985  ;)  :)

We talked about post numbers before, but to show the problem with deleting, the thread numbers like the one I quote above is higher than the one in key stats which is at 78151 and must somehow allow for deleted threads.
Last edited by John Lloyd on Fri Apr 13, 2007 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Alec

Post by Alec » Fri Apr 13, 2007 10:42 pm

As long as I stick to the rules then there should be no problem with playing another game within the game (ie. trying to keep to a theme or making the next song relevant to the last one).

There is nothing in the rules saying that you can't.

As I say, it just makes it more interesting while I'm playing the game in between reading other threads.

John Lloyd

Post by John Lloyd » Fri Apr 13, 2007 10:44 pm

[quote="Alec"]
As long as I stick to the rules then there should be no problem with playing another game within the game (ie. trying to keep to a theme or making the next song relevant to the last one).

There is nothing in the rules saying that you can't.

As I say, it just makes it more interesting while I'm playing the game in between reading other threads.

[/quote]

So who decides the theme? I'm not a number.............