Atomfest II appreciation

This is where Ariel.Club events specific to the US/Canada should be posted to
dp35

Atomfest II appreciation

Post by dp35 » Sun Sep 20, 2009 5:28 am

I'm sure I'm not the only one struggling to find words to describe what an awesome job Randy and friends did on this week's Atomfest, and how much I appreciate their passion. 

Although driving the Hallett track was awesome, the best part of Atomfest was the people.  Meeting and hanging out with the event organizers, the people that build Atoms, people that used to build Atoms, current former & future Atom owners, etc, was the highlight of the week.  Atom owners are extraordinary people, and a lot of fun to hang out with. 

This event was so much different than any track day, it caused me to do 2 things I've never done before -  skip several track sessions just to hang out and socialize, and; let others drive my car. 

I had trouble getting my camera to record video consistently, and I'm super disappointed that it failed to record my last & best session of the week, where I had a good time driving with legends Eddie Hill and Calscot.  But here's a video of some other laps on day 3.
http://www.vimeo.com/6662201

The Atomfest crew also included the best photographer I've ever seen at a track event.  In addition to some awesome photos that I'll post later, they took these super slo mo video clips -
http://www.dp35.com/video/Atomfest%20slo-mo%201.avi
http://www.dp35.com/video/Atomfest%20slo-mo%202.avi

Gage

Re: Atomfest II appreciation

Post by Gage » Sun Sep 20, 2009 7:14 am

I learned more about driving just from your video clips Dp35.  Great stuff!  Thanks.

Atomfest was incredible.  T

Terry Kennedy

Post by Terry Kennedy » Sun Sep 20, 2009 7:25 am

[quote="dp35"]
I'm sure I'm not the only one struggling to find words to describe what an awesome job Randy and friends did on this week's Atomfest, and how much I appreciate their passion.[/quote]

Absolutely. I sent Randy an email which I'll post part of here:

[quote="Terry's email to Randy"]  I just wanted to drop you a note to let you know how much I appreciate
all the hard work you and your family/staff did to create another perfect
AtomFest.

Once I get back (I'll be meandering along in my Atom until the 1st of
October), I'd like to order some additional goodies. I definitely want
a couple of the AtomFest II poster with pictures of everybody's cars
(I saw one in the Finish Line Cafe just before the banquet), as well as
some more shirts, pins, etc. I didn't see any of the sticky-back mini-
coins in the booth, but maybe I just missed them.

If you email me a list of what you have left over, I'll put an order
together.

There's no point in rushing anything out to me, as I won't be home
until next month. Just let me know what I'll owe you for shipping the
poster I won (Linda is going to mail it to me) along with the framed
coin and anything else I didn't take back with me.

BTW, I traded my 085 coin to Feisty for his 042 coin, as he has the
other "85" car - 085 in the Brammo series as opposed to my RAM285 UK
VIN, and I already had an 085 coin from AtomFest I. This way we both
have one.

Thanks again for everything,
        Terry Kennedy[/quote]

[quote="dp35"]This event was so much different than any track day, it caused me to do 2 things I've never done before -  skip several track sessions just to hang out and socialize, and; let others drive my car.[/quote]

Yup, we Atom owners are a talkative lot - we'd as often chat with other folks than get on the track (last AtomFest the announcer was going crazy because she couldn't get anything to come to grid after the lunch sessions. She'd say something like "I have three instructors at the grid, but no cars. Come over and get the free instructor of your choice!". This time people wouldn't even come over for the free food when called.

I had 3 other people drive my Atom, either solo or with a passenger. Alec (UK), Richard (UK) and Tom Smurzynski (US) all gave my car far more of a work-out than I could have - in fact they tripped the oil pressure, oil temperature, and water temperature alarms on my Microdash. The regular SPA Dash users don't seem to be experiencing these problems, so it is probably due to the sensors in the Microdash being set too conservatively. At least all the fluids stayed in the car this year, unlike in 2007. I'll put probes into the lines when I have the car down for the winter to see what's really happening.

[quote="dp35"]I had trouble getting my camera to record video consistently, and I'm super disappointed that it failed to record my last & best session of the week, where I had a good time driving with legends Eddie Hill and Calscot.[/quote]

I'm not happy with the quality I'm getting from my current Chasecam systems, and I'm thinking of a build-it-myself box that incorporates the set of features I use in the Chasecam 100 recorder, along with better video, support for much longer running at top quality (I'm shooting for being able to store a whole "24 hours of X" on the unit, along with a much simpler status display for the driver.

Richard Marler
Administrator

Post by Richard Marler » Sun Sep 20, 2009 3:07 pm

Still on the road at a remote ranch in Texas, using a net tablet, so can't type too much, but wanted to +1 everythring Darin said. Randy's efforts made for an amazing event and the participants made it unique. Its been a long while since I have met such a nice bunch of people. Thanks to eveyone for making it such a fun time.
Atom 3 300. Surrey, England.

Driver

Post by Driver » Sun Sep 20, 2009 3:19 pm

[quote="dp35"]
I had trouble getting my camera to record video consistently, and I'm super disappointed that it failed to record my last & best session of the week, where I had a good time driving with legends Eddie Hill and Calscot.[/quote]

Ditto on that. Randy took the already internationally acclaimed AtomFest of 2 years ago to a even higher level. Much appreciation and kudos Randy.

I was on the roof of the timing tower during that last session Darin. Here's a shot I took of you, Eddie in his Brammo Atom and Pete in Randy's Stohr coming around Turn 10 up to the Start/Finish line. Not that they were not fast but you were just DAMN friggin SuperSonic those last few sessions!  :tu:  At first the three of them were running bumper to bumper and the gap just kept getting bigger and bigger!
Attachments
_KRH9540sm.jpg

Driver

Post by Driver » Sun Sep 20, 2009 3:21 pm

And I guess the shot that counts is like this one I snapped later in the pits:
Attachments
_KRH9562sm.jpg

dp35

Post by dp35 » Sun Sep 20, 2009 4:10 pm

[quote="Driver"]
I was on the roof of the timing tower during that last session Darin. Here's a shot I took of you, Eddie in his Brammo Atom and Pete in Randy's Stohr coming around Turn 10 up to the Start/Finish line. Not that they were not fast but you were just DAMN friggin SuperSonic those last few sessions!  :tu:  At first the three of them were running bumper to bumper and the gap just kept getting bigger and bigger![/quote]

Thanks Ken! 

To be honest, I was running scared that session, because I didn't want to be behind Eddie's exhaust!  That motivation switched my brain from fun to race mode.  But it was still LOTS of fun.  For several laps Eddie would close on me on the long straights, and I'd have to put my head down through the twisty bits to escape the noisy beast.

PS - Eddie Hill is quite possibly the most impressive and inspirational person I've ever had the pleasure of meeting.  Considering that he seems to be immune to the aging process, he'll likely be lapping Hallett in the 18's at the next Atomfest.
Last edited by dp35 on Sun Sep 20, 2009 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dp35

Post by dp35 » Sun Sep 20, 2009 6:43 pm

A couple of the many most excellent photographs:

[img width=800 height=600]http://www.dp35.com/AF1b.jpg[/img]

[img width=800 height=600]http://www.dp35.com/AF2b.jpg[/img]

Heywood-Yablowme

Post by Heywood-Yablowme » Sun Sep 20, 2009 7:16 pm

Are those your own wing designs and mounts?

Driver

Post by Driver » Sun Sep 20, 2009 7:55 pm

I was stopping at Eric Howes on the way back to Austin and Richard Marler came along as it was on his way to the ranch he was heading to. I'm following his little Mustang along and then see the blinker come along right about here (see picture). (Story continues after the pic...)
Attachments
_KRH9723rm.jpg

Driver

Post by Driver » Sun Sep 20, 2009 8:00 pm

So we try to get a better look at the track, tours are done for the day (we'd rented it about 10 years ago for a road event so I'd already seen it and how small the infield can make one feel) so we hunted around for a decent view of the track. Coming around the corner of one of the 7 or 8 story buildings and entering a full height glass enclsed hallway you and.... there Eddie is! One his plaque at least. One of about 6 that are in the Texas Motor Sports Hall Of Fame. Eddie Hill is a champion in not one or two different types of Motorsports but THREE! Everyone knows about his NHRA Drag Racing and may have heard about his drag boating (Guiness World Record in Drag Boats in '82) but Motorcycle Road Racing champion is in there as well back in '72. He's a very modest and kind Texan.  :tu:

Picture with Richard Marler (who by the way did a terrific job on behalf of the Club and the UK contingent as well) is attached:
Attachments
_KRH9728rm.jpg
Last edited by Driver on Mon Sep 21, 2009 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dp35

Post by dp35 » Sun Sep 20, 2009 9:07 pm

[quote="Guardian of the module"]
Are those your own wing designs and mounts?[/quote]

No.  The front is the UK Ariel wing, with CF end plates that I made.  The rear wing is off of a Stohr D Sports racer, and because its mounting points are much wider, it required a different mount.  I gave the new & old rear wings to a fabricator friend and he came up with this rather complex & heavy design.  It does work though.  I hope to come up with a more elegant design over the winter.

twebb

Post by twebb » Sun Sep 20, 2009 11:04 pm

Thanks Randy for putting on a great show, and thanks for letting me drive your lovely Stohr!

Glad to hear that the crew had a great time.  It was super to meet a whole new group of Atom lovers.

Cheers.

Tim Webb

FourFather

Post by FourFather » Mon Sep 21, 2009 1:52 am

Randy,

Thank you so much for doing another AtomFest!

I had a great time and still marvel at how friendly and cordial everyone was at both events. Whenever and wherever I looked, everyone was all smiles and happy conversation. I never heard a cross word, from anyone, for the entire event.

In addition to all the tutoring and mentoring you have given me since AtomFest 1, I feel that I received additional valuable instruction, tips, and inspiration during this event from Tom Smurzynski, Tim Webb, Darin DP 35, Peter Calscot, Terry Kennedy, and others. Thanks to all for being so free to offer help!

What a super group of folks! :tu:

Eddie ;D

CalScot

Post by CalScot » Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:24 pm

I too would like to extend my sincere appreciation to Randy, his family and friends. The effort and resources that was put into this event for the benefit of us Atom owners was considerable. It was a testament to Randy's love of the car, but far more so a testament to what a kind, caring and awesome guy Randy is. That also goes to all his family. What truly wonderful man and family.

Thanks from the heart to Randy and his team :-*