2009 Hot Rod Magazine Power Tour - another 2327 miles on the Atom

This is where Ariel.Club events specific to the US/Canada should be posted to
Lane

2009 Hot Rod Magazine Power Tour - another 2327 miles on the Atom

Post by Lane » Sun Jun 21, 2009 4:34 am

I returned last Sunday morning from a week doing the 2009 Hot Rod Power Tour in the Atom along with co-pilot and fellow car club member Jeff P (known here as Evilatom Transit). 

If you're not familiar with the Tour, it's sponsored by Hot Rod Magazine and is covered in numerous magazines and on TV each year.  You can see the forum thread here from last year's participation.

The Tour is a scenic drive across the country with a couple thousand fellow gearheads, with stops in a handful of cities along the way for a variety of events (shows, drag racing, autocross, cruises, etc.).  If you'd like more info, you can find it on Hot Rod's website here.  Just for a little perspective on the size of this - the 2008 Long Haul gang (those doing the entire trip) was comprised of more than 2,200 hot rodders in 1,245 cars.  Over the entire week there were 3,985 total registered vehicles and spectator attendance was estimated at 64,500 spectators.

This year's Tour took place from June 6-13, 2009 and the stops included Madison WI, Racine WI, South Bend IN, Mt Clemens MI, Dayton OH, Somerset KY, and Bristol TN.  Just when we thought it would be impossible to top last year's event, it proved us wrong by being better this year.  I've added around 250 photos and video clips to my site that tell the whole story, start to finish.  But if you have a short attention span, here are some of the highlights that stood out:

* Jeff was interviewed by Air Ride Technologies and they filmed one of my autocross runs in Madison WI.  The video is on their website here.  Be sure to click the little icon below the video to display the video larger than it initially comes up.  I did pretty well in the auot-x too which was a bonus.  And yes, I know that Jeff got a few details wrong, but important looking people pointing big cameras at you can cause that.

* I spent about 45 minutes with Hot Rod magazine staff for an interview & overview of the car that is now on their website. 

From http://www.hotrod.com, click on their Power Tour page, and then on the Day 3 highlights.  Or, you can view a higher quality version on Blip.tv here.  They edited it pretty well considering that my speaking ability leaves a lot to be desired.  Hope my estimation of the TMI details is correct as I haven't been following any build threads lately.

* Jeff and I both took turns behind the wheel lapping Bristol Motor Speedway.  If you're not familiar with it, it's a very popular and huge Nascar track.  This was a rare treat, and there's in-car video and pics on my site.  And since I currently have Cherry Bomb exhaust on the car, one of the guys filming video for Cherry Bomb held an interview and rode along with me on the speedway to shoot video for a DVD they were producing.

... and more of the things I'll remember for quite some time are listed on my site.

All-in-all, we traveled just under 2400 miles.  Weather was nice for most part, but there was a bit of rain mixed in here and there.  Only one problem from the car - the brake light pressure sensor decided to die during the trip. :(  A visit to a local Radio Shack store provided a pinswitch that functioned as a temporary replacement zip-tied and duct-taped near the top of the pedal arm.

Atom owner Randy (Hotshot) was also in attendance as he was last year, but this year he was driving his Auburn.

No idea if we'll get any coverage in the print version of Hot Rod magazine like we did last year, but there's a good chance (since it rained and they like showing people that they consider 'crazy'  ::)).  It'll be a few months before the issue is out.
Last edited by Lane on Sun Jun 21, 2009 6:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image 300hp Ecotec Atom that is driven.  Visit my website.

Heywood-Yablowme

Re: 2009 Hot Rod Magazine Power Tour - another 2327 miles on the Atom

Post by Heywood-Yablowme » Sun Jun 21, 2009 10:20 am

Another brake light switch failure.Seems like it needs to be updated to a better design. Well done on the tour! :tu:

RichardR

Post by RichardR » Sun Jun 21, 2009 1:28 pm

Wow - with travelling over 340miles a day how did you have time to do all the other stuff?

Evilatom Transit

Post by Evilatom Transit » Sun Jun 21, 2009 3:05 pm

The Event started about 150 miles from Lane's house and the tour averages between 200-250 miles per day between cities. The rest of the mileage came from the non-stop return trip to Lane's place.  As with last year we both had a great time and met other car enthusiasts from around the country.  Hope some of you have the opportunity to join the tour even if only for a leg or two next year. 

Jeff

bolus

Post by bolus » Sun Jun 21, 2009 5:25 pm

Nice interview, that was great.  funny how your picture someone looking completely different in you mind

Heywood-Yablowme

Post by Heywood-Yablowme » Sun Jun 21, 2009 5:45 pm

Holy crap-ass,was that a tight,short autocross course or what? :o  My car won't even fit through most of those gates with my wide tarrs. No helmets required either. Hmm..well it's all good!

Evilatom Transit

Post by Evilatom Transit » Sun Jun 21, 2009 5:49 pm

Funny how you get a mental picture of what someone "probably looks like" based on posts to a forum.  Its so true though!

The AutoX course was very tight -- it was fun watching guys driving good old American Iron through the course. Some guy in an old Cadillac managed to navigate the course without hitting  a single cone which looked nearly impossible from the sidelines! Whoever designed the course had small front drive cars in mind not rear wheel drive boats from the 50-70's!

Evilatom Transit

Post by Evilatom Transit » Sun Jun 21, 2009 5:53 pm

On the pressure switch --- Have to give Lane credit for a pretty quick fix to the problem.  1 PIN switch, a little wire, a handful of zip ties and duck tape and we were back in business in the hotel parking lot.
Last edited by Evilatom Transit on Sun Jun 21, 2009 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lane

Post by Lane » Sun Jun 21, 2009 6:31 pm

[quote="Evilatom Transit"]
The AutoX course was very tight -- it was fun watching guys driving good old American Iron through the course. Some guy in an old Cadillac managed to navigate the course without hitting  a single cone which looked nearly impossible from the sidelines! Whoever designed the course had small front drive cars in mind...
[/quote]

Here are a TON of great photos from the autocross taken by another Tour participant.  157 cars participated in this auto-x.

I suspect that the confined course was a result of having a very limited space to work with, and the intention of keeping speeds low because of all of the spectators in close proximity.  Plus, I'm sure very few participants brought helmets with them.

It was amazing watching some of these guys muscle (rather than finesse) through this course.  A Ford Lightning comes to mind, along with a Caprice wagon (YouTube vid here), both of whom had the tail moving around more than most of the other cars.  I suppose you have to drive most of these vehicles differently than we're used to since most of them weigh over two tons.

ImageImage

There are quite a few videos on YouTube from this autocross if you do a search on Power Tour 2009.

Driver

Post by Driver » Sun Jun 21, 2009 7:41 pm

I had a 94 Caprice Wagon with SS running gear, LT1, headers, custom swaybars, Wilwood brakes,etc... They can actually handle better than the Sedans due to better weight distribution. But Yeah.. they are something like 4800 lbs  :o before you start putting fuel and people in there. Know a fellow gearhead here in town that put a stroker motor in his and he likes to go out and embarass the ricers. :)

Sounds like it was a blast. One of the things on my ToDo list someday.

Lane

Post by Lane » Wed Aug 19, 2009 5:30 am

A photo of me from the Power Tour is in Hot Rod Magazine's October 2009 issue and scans are in the thread here.

Also found out this week that the Atom and I were included on an event DVD that a video production company put together. 

Image Image Image

Links to vid clips as shown above:
* From the passenger seat while lapping Bristol Motor Speedway.
* Interview while unpacking the car in the rain.
* Cherry Bomb talks about my exhaust.  Prior post on exhaust system fabrication is here.

Lane

Post by Lane » Mon Oct 12, 2009 7:08 am

[quote="MadMaxAtom and company"]
Another brake light switch failure.Seems like it needs to be updated to a better design. Well done on the tour! :tu:
[/quote]

I removed the double-stick adhesive, duct tape, and zip ties that were applied as a temporary fix during the Power Tour to hold the replacement switch in place and came up with a more permanent solution.  The pressure switch was replaced with a regular banjo bolt to avoid further possible switch failure (leakage), and I fabbed a bracket with a roller switch that's located above the pedal.

I wonder if those pressure switches aren't made to handle the pressures our cars often see, especially when used on the track.

Heywood-Yablowme

Post by Heywood-Yablowme » Mon Oct 12, 2009 1:25 pm

Nice setup!  I should switch mine over before a failure. Where did you source the microswitch?

Lane

Post by Lane » Mon Oct 12, 2009 5:20 pm

[quote="MadMaxAtom and company"]
Nice setup!  I should switch mine over before a failure. Where did you source the microswitch?
[/quote]

Radio Shack, part is here.  After a decent search, I'd say it's just short of impossible to find a well-made waterproof switch.  So much so, that I gave up in favor of just using the one that I'd picked up at RS to be a temporary solution.  At least the action of the switch has a good feel to it.  eBay has tons of pinswitches meant for aftermarket alarm installation, but the construction of all of them reeks of cheapness.  Plus, they're meant to be switched a whole lot less frequently than our brake pedal is pressed.  An OEM brake pedal switch from any passenger car may be worth considering, but those I looked at (in the cars I own) are a bit too big and ugly for a stealth install.  Oh well, if this switch ever wears out or dies, it's a whole 'nother $3 at any RS store to replace it.

WorkingOnIt

Post by WorkingOnIt » Wed Oct 14, 2009 2:16 am

[quote="Lane"]
Only one problem from the car - the brake light pressure sensor decided to die during the trip. :(  A visit to a local Radio Shack store provided a pinswitch that functioned as a temporary replacement zip-tied and duct-taped near the top of the pedal arm.
[/quote]

I was under the impression that the factory switch is inline, and that failure and replacement usually involves leakage and brake line bleeding.  Apparently your failure mode left the brake line intact?  Or do I misunderstand the general problem?  (Making notes for the day I have my own.)

I really, really  like your aero-screens/gunsights.  They look fabulously right in the video, and fairly disappear from many angles.

I don't suppose you have any basis to compare your shape with the factory's as far as noise or buffeting reduction?  I know you've said yours are taller.  The arc seems much better aesthetically to me than the factory shape, but we've heard that the factory did extensive experimentation before they would offer them so it makes me wonder if there is some measurable advantage in effectiveness or aerodynamics to their shape.

PS. good job on the interview - I think you're too hard on your speaking skills.
Last edited by WorkingOnIt on Wed Oct 14, 2009 5:28 am, edited 1 time in total.