Getting your Atom ready for AtomFest

This is where Ariel.Club events specific to the US/Canada should be posted to
1965Cobra427

Getting your Atom ready for AtomFest

Post by 1965Cobra427 » Sat Feb 21, 2009 4:40 pm

It's not too early to begin thinking about getting your Atom ready for AtomFest - This thread is to help those who didn't make AtomFest in 2007 -or- can't really remember such mundane stuff as what parts broke, wore out or just needed a better solution.

Exhaust system  - the flex joint
More Atoms exhibited this problem than any other mechanical problem seen at AtomFest. For a number of reasons, the flex joint became the weak link and unfortunately when it fails, it takes the powder coat off the frame -and- as many of us recall, in extreme cases can take out the brake light, license plate, registration stickers, etc.

Weld in a straight pipe solution -

I have recently been in contact with TMI and they are thinking ahead on the exhaust issue. Here is a quote from a recent e-mail from Dave Goadby "we could offer our simple but successful & very cost-effective AAE â??trackâ?� exhaust system fix if we knew about any such requirements well in advance, even as a relatively quick switch-over trackside at Hallett (not our installation labor) if anyone wanted to retain their stock system for the road."

On the installation side, AtomFest alumni will remember the great service provided by the Stephens Brothers Hallett Race Shop.

Exhaust system  - the catalytic converter
The stock cats are not really suitable for the temps and stress that the track can dish out. At Hallett, you will be able to operate your Atom at levels not possible on the street and do so for lap after lap. It is possible to turn your catalytic converter into a bypass pipe, but much easier to just install a bypass.

If you don't have one, post a WTB in the For Sale section of the Forum or contact TMI. Other choices are available as well. This is a good thread for folks to list alternatives.

Exhaust system  - the muffler

At least one muffler failed during AtomFest and others have failed before or since. Other threads here will go into the reasons behind this, but if you are running the stock Brammo muffler, this is a potential failure point. Like the flex joint, muffler failure can cause collateral damage, so being prepared in this area can make you a much happier camper in the long run.

Eddie and I have found a great solution to muffler backpressure on the track - remove the muffler. Our muffler eliminator pipes are both home made and follow this theme -

Of course they are loud and only suited to the track, but flex joint and muffler failures are eliminated.

TMI can provide complete exhaust solutions for you. Shinoo also has a beautifully crafted exhaust system which is available for both Ecotec and Honda engines.

Suspension - Rod ends
The forces seen by the Atom's suspension at track speeds can far exceed those normally seen on the street. Dropping a wheel at the limit of cornering grip can coming back onto the pavement can produce a really big load into the pushrods. Occasionally these can bend.

I'm sure that TMI will have some on hand for AtomFest, but a check of yours before the trip to Hallett would be time well spent. Terry Kennedy is an expert on the rod end subject. Please feel free to post questions, photos, etc. here to get the experienced opinions of those who have addressed this issue with their cars. Once again, TMI can be a very good resource.

Suspension - Uprights & rear hubs
Although no hubs or uprights were known to have failed during AtomFest, this is a known weakness when Atoms are run very hard on the track with high grip rubber. Several of us have run the stickiest slicks available and some have had failures of the buh/bearing/upright. Several threads on the Forum have addressed these issues in detail so I will not go into them at length. There are multiple solutions beginning with making sure that your axle nuts are well torqued before each track session.

Hardened axle spacers have been successful in eliminating the crushing of the soft Brammo units which has been connected with one type of hub failure.

Updating your Atom to the latest hubs from TMI (or checking out your current hubs to see if they are of the latest configuration is another good measure. Here is a photo of the latest hub design. Notice the faint line just inboard of the studs. This indicates a change in the surface as the hub features a tapered thickness toward it's center.

It is felt that this extra material can reduce or eliminate the type of failures where the center of the hub fractures at the intersection of the flange. TMI is the source of these hubs.

Of course the Mac-Daddy of the Atom hub/upright world is Unique Fabrication's aluminum upright/heat treated hub beauty with an enlarged double sealed bearing. Some may consider this a bit expensive, ut compared to the investment of a an AtomFest week of thrashing around the track, they are my best insurance.

Fully engineered, tested, beautifully manufactured and finished and backed by one of the best fabricators in the Atom community. Tom is taking orders now for short delivery times.

Other items
When it comes to items which break, that's pretty much the list. Of course tire pressures, oil and filter changes and a good wash will all bode well for your AtomFest adventure. A good alignment is a good idea as well. The Race Shop at Hallett can provide a track ready alignment on your arrival and set your car back to more conservative 'street' specs before you depart if that tickles your fancy. Having turned hundreds of laps in my Atom over the past three years, I can assure you that the setup can make a HUGE difference in your enjoyment of the AtomFest experience. If you're considering a track setup, I will be happy to share my most successful specs upon request.

Thank you for including AtomFest in your plans for 2009. Can't wait to see you there!
Last edited by 1965Cobra427 on Sat Feb 21, 2009 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bolus

Re: Getting your Atom ready for AtomFest

Post by bolus » Sat Feb 21, 2009 4:53 pm

WOOOO!    any more information on transportation that TMI will provide?

1965Cobra427

Post by 1965Cobra427 » Sat Feb 21, 2009 5:08 pm

[quote="bolus"]
[/quote]

The latest I have heard from TMI is that they have located an enclosed carrier that can do coast-to-coast runs for about $3k. (I'm guessing that coast-to Oklahoma might be less). These are the guys that TMI is now using for new car deliveries and can handle up to 8 cars at once. Please feel free to contact Dave Goadby for more details.

TMI is, like many others being squeezed by the economy and will likely have a pretty small contingent at AtomFest this time. They do plan on bringing a stock of Atom 2 spare parts to support the event.

maverick1

Post by maverick1 » Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:02 pm

I should let you all know that some Atom exhausts have 2 flex pipes, and both are susceptible to failure, not just the lower one.
My upper flex pipe failed at the track and melted lots of wires and my masterlube gauge.
I highly recommend eliminating all flex pipes with straight pipes or completely replace the exhaust system with a new one.
I was very fortunate that my exhaust failed at a track only 15 minutes from my home. It really would have been a nightmare if it had failed somewhere out in the boonies between Hallett and California.

Randy, regarding the rear hub/bearing failures, how do you know if the axle nuts need to be tightened? Do you use the painted lines that were put on by Brammo? Do the rear axle nuts loosen when running Toyo R888's and Yoko AO48's or just slicks?
What size socket is needed to tighten the rear axle nuts and to what torque spec.
If you are not planning to run slicks, but Toyo R888's instead, is upgrading the rear uprights necessary?

cheers

dp35

Post by dp35 » Sun Feb 22, 2009 1:36 am

[quote="1965Cobra427"]
[quote="bolus"]
[/quote]

The latest I have heard from TMI is that they have located an enclosed carrier that can do coast-to-coast runs for about $3k. (I'm guessing that coast-to Oklahoma might be less). These are the guys that TMI is now using for new car deliveries and can handle up to 8 cars at once. Please feel free to contact Dave Goadby for more details.

TMI is, like many others being squeezed by the economy and will likely have a pretty small contingent at AtomFest this time. They do plan on bringing a stock of Atom 2 spare parts to support the event.
[/quote]

I assume its $3K for the entire truck, or roughly $375/car if it carries 8?  That would be nice, and would certainly make this trip a lot more doable.  Also, is the $8K cost one way or round trip? 

1965Cobra427

Post by 1965Cobra427 » Sun Feb 22, 2009 1:32 pm

[quote="maverick1"]
Randy, regarding the rear hub/bearing failures, how do you know if the axle nuts need to be tightened? Do you use the painted lines that were put on by Brammo? Do the rear axle nuts loosen when running Toyo R888's and Yoko AO48's or just slicks?
[/quote]

We have observed the loosening in just about every hard session on slicks and occasionally on A048s. I have not run R88's but guess they would be similar to A048's in this respect.
The painted marks on the nuts are no help, since the nut is not backing off, the washer is deforming. In severe cases, you can feel the loosening on the track. By that time, the hub will surely fail. We (Eddie and I) check axle nut torques between each track session. With the OEM spacers and aggressive track sessions, we find the nut will tighten about 1/8 turn each session.

[quote="maverick1"]
What size socket is needed to tighten the rear axle nuts and to what torque spec.
[/quote]

They should be +/- 200 ft lbs. This is done with a big torque wrench and 30 mm socket.

[quote="maverick1"]
If you are not planning to run slicks, but Toyo R888's instead, is upgrading the rear uprights necessary?
[/quote]

I personally think it's a question of time and use of the car. If the car is run only on the street and on street tires, the hubs will likely be fine. Of course track use is much tougher on the hubs, even with A048's which stick pretty well once up to temperature and with sustained hard cornering. (not possible on the street)

I have ordered a set for my older, silver framed car which sees lots of track use, but have not ordered them for my red framed car which mostly sees the street.

1965Cobra427

Post by 1965Cobra427 » Sun Feb 22, 2009 1:34 pm

[quote="dp35"]
I assume its $3K for the entire truck, or roughly $375/car if it carries 8?  That would be nice, and would certainly make this trip a lot more doable.  Also, is the $8K cost one way or round trip? 
[/quote]

I would not assume anything. It would be best to contact Dave Goadby at TMI. He can put you in touch with the source.

maverick1

Post by maverick1 » Mon Feb 23, 2009 1:02 am

[quote="1965Cobra427"]
[quote="maverick1"]
[/quote]

We have observed the loosening in just about every hard session on slicks and occasionally on A048s. I have not run R88's but guess they would be similar to A048's in this respect.
The painted marks on the nuts are no help, since the nut is not backing off, the washer is deforming. In severe cases, you can feel the loosening on the track. By that time, the hub will surely fail. We (Eddie and I) check axle nut torques between each track session. With the OEM spacers and aggressive track sessions, we find the nut will tighten about 1/8 turn each session.

[quote="maverick1"]
[/quote]

They should be +/- 200 ft lbs. This is done with a big torque wrench and 30 mm socket.

[quote="maverick1"]
[/quote]

I personally think it's a question of time and use of the car. If the car is run only on the street and on street tires, the hubs will likely be fine. Of course track use is much tougher on the hubs, even with A048's which stick pretty well once up to temperature and with sustained hard cornering. (not possible on the street)

I have ordered a set for my older, silver framed car which sees lots of track use, but have not ordered them for my red framed car which mostly sees the street.
[/quote]
Thanks Randy.
cheers

McFred

Post by McFred » Mon Jul 20, 2009 8:28 pm

[quote="bolus"]
[/quote]

Any updates on this?  I'd like to hop on as is passes through albuquerque if possible...

CalScot

Post by CalScot » Wed Sep 09, 2009 5:09 am

Tuesday night and I am planning on leaving Friday morning to AFII. Correction...I am leaving Friday morning!
Problem is my Atom is up on four jacks. No wheels, no brakes, no suspension, no S/C and no coolant system. Add insult to injury, I drove the car with the front bonnet un-clipped, it came off and I ran over it. That really made me feel like a twat! It's getting fixed too. I have been prepping for weeks. No matter how hard I try or what I do, I am always struggling with no sleep for 2-3 days before any big event. Fixing stuff, loading stuff, fixing more stuff. Supposing I show up with it in bit's and pieces, I will make it and build it there but my goodness, sometimes I wish my missus could build Atoms

I guess it's just all part of the fun ;D

DarthChicken

Post by DarthChicken » Wed Sep 09, 2009 5:38 am

You just want to hold your own tech session.  This year - how to build a car from scratch.

:tu:

Driver

Post by Driver » Wed Sep 09, 2009 5:51 am

I would not be surprised in the least if Peter shows up with a spares program outfitted into his trailer. Maybe thats why he's hauling two in there. :)

Terry Kennedy

Post by Terry Kennedy » Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:06 pm

[quote="DarthChicken"]
This year - how to build a car from scratch.[/quote]

My UPS guy was wondering what I was doing with all of the assorted boxes, ranging from tiny to huge, that he's been delivering for the last year and a half. One of those boxes was a CF nose from Brammo. I told him I was building a car and he didn't believe me - until I showed him the Atom in the garage.