2008 West Coast Adventure June 7th-13th - Pre-Event Discussions

This is where Ariel.Club events specific to the US/Canada should be posted to
shinoo

Re: 2008 West Coast Adventure June 7th-13th - Pre-Event Discussions

Post by shinoo » Sat Jun 07, 2008 5:00 am

My Atom has been getting its new exhaust and I've not seen it for 3 weeks.  I pick it up tomorrow!  Hopefully everything will be fine.  Based on the exhaust work I've seen John do on Pete's car, my should be a peach...I'll meet y'all on Tues eve!  :tu: :tu: :tu:

1965Cobra427

Post by 1965Cobra427 » Mon Jun 09, 2008 3:28 pm

My brother and I arrived at Calscot's house Friday night. Driver and Wmcmanus were there and we visited with Calsct until late into the night. Saturday morning - Cars and Coffee. Good turnout of cars including some rare examples and maybe $200 million or so in total value (could be more). The Spaz, Feisty, Calscot, Wmcmanus Atoms were all lined up and currounded by the crowds for a large portion of the 2 hour event. I have lots of photos, but am posting this from a hotel computer with no usb ports, so that will have to wait.

Saturday after C&C we made the trek to Buttonwillow for the Ultimate Track Car Challenge on Sunday. Weather was nice in the upper 90's at midday with a good breeze most of the time. Spaz joined us on the Buttonwillow trip, but Fiesty had other committments. Sharpatom2 met us with his two Atoms bringing the total to five at BW. We made a few adjustments to Calscot's car but left most of that for Sunday morning and mostly visited and enjoyed "refreshments"

Sunday morning we mounted up the Formula Atlantic wheels and tires on Calscot's car - Whoa! these things are huge and sticky. Seem perfect for Autox. Got lots of photos, but will need to wait a couple days to get them posted. I don't want to spill too much regarding the competition except to say that a few guys who had made sport of my UTC attempt, breakage, etc. on another forum were there. One broke in morning warmup like had last year and the other contender could not equal Calscot's best lap, even though he had far more trak time experience. We visited with them and shared our hospitality with them including an invitation to join in the WCA track fun in Reno. We'll see.

Calscot gave a great interview with the magazine folks and I would not be surprised to see his car in it's pages sometime this year. My  brother and I will part company with the group this morning and begin our trek back for meetings that are keeping us from WCA. We're looking forward to the next large scale gathering and fewer business complications to screw them up for us.

I'm guessing that Driver will crerate a WCA event history thread with a huge number of photos. They'll be well worth checking out.

DarthChicken

Post by DarthChicken » Mon Jun 09, 2008 3:39 pm

Thank you for the update Randy.  I've been doing searches to see how things went, sounds like it went pretty well  :tu:

cactus bob

Post by cactus bob » Mon Jun 09, 2008 8:04 pm

Leaving Tucson this evening with my 19 year old son, Stephen.  Looking for a nickname for him. Thinking of shorty. Not sure.  I'm going to try to make it tonight to  Bullhead City,/Loughlin, NV.  Have decided not to go the shorter route over Hoover dam as the trailer I bought from Chip fits the atom with about three inches to spare in all directions, and it might be hard to inspect.  Then will be at the Best Western Tuesday night.  As promised, I'm bringing the 1977 Ardbeg, and hoping there there may be a scotch drinker in the group.  Also bringing a large picnic table and 10 chairs.

nickpoore

Post by nickpoore » Mon Jun 09, 2008 9:51 pm

Hey Bob.

I drove over the Hoover Dam a few weeks ago, and the "inspection station" was minimal at best.
(Yes, i was in a 4-door car, but they did not even open up the trunk...)

I think that you should be okay to pass...
http://www.usbr.gov/lc/hooverdam/crossingguide.pdf

I hope that this helps.
Nick.

PS. Thanks in advance for bringing the tables & chairs.