AtomFest - Sunday - Day 4+ - the Aftermath

This is where Ariel.Club events specific to the US/Canada should be posted to
Factory

Re: AtomFest - Sunday - Day 4+ - the Aftermath

Post by Factory » Mon Oct 22, 2007 8:59 pm

From the Ariel factory in England weâ??d like to say a big, big, BIG, BIG thank you to Randy Lamp for organising the AtomFest 2007, for making us so welcome and putting in the enormous amount of effort to ensure the event was such a great success.   Truly a labour of love and carried out with the enthusiasm and the passion which weâ??d like to think typifies what the Atom is all about and which Randy has taken on to a higher level.

When we started building the Atom some 7 or 8 years ago we never thought, in our wildest dreams, that weâ??d be standing in the countryside of Oklahoma with such a nice bunch of folks, watching 30 or so Ariels scream around a race track.  Atoms, sunshine, a great track and not even a noise limit â?? it doesnâ??t get much better.  Add in barbeques, live music and some of the nicest people you could wish to meet and youâ??ll begin to get the full picture.  From the corner workers and marshalls, the track owners, the RV rental guys and of course all the Atom owners who attended, with and without cars, we have been made to feel welcome and the atmosphere at AtomFest typified what we always wanted from the Atom:  having fun, going fast and the simple friendly company of like minded people.  Thank you.

Our guys got a first hand understanding of US built cars and ways that we can answer problems, improve cars and communication as well as bring the relationship more closely together, whether they be physical or abstract, cars or people.   Putting faces to names, comparing stories and experiences plus being able to explain the stylistic niceties of swear words in different languages can only take things to a closer club membership and of course begs the question â?? when can we do it again?   

Already thereâ??s much talk of how, where, when the next AtomFest will be held, but if it follows in the steps of Randyâ??s work then we can say firstly that it will be bloody hard work for some people and secondly that it will be awesome. 

So once again â?? to Randy Lamp, Jim Sharp, the Atom owners who came hundreds and in many cases thousands of miles and everyone who made AtomFest 2007 such a succes - our thanks to you from all of us here in the factory. 

For those who werenâ??t able to get there Iâ??m sure there will be photographs of cars on the track as well as possibly â?¦. ermâ?¦. some social events off the track.  As Randy would say, 'You know who you areâ??.

And finally to all those waiting for cars â?? our guys were back at work by 10 oâ??clock today, straight from the airport, building cars. So shhhhhhhhâ?¦â?¦. 
Last edited by Factory on Mon Oct 22, 2007 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gage

Post by Gage » Mon Oct 22, 2007 9:02 pm

A factory Post!!!!  You guys continue to demonstrate fantastic support.  Thanks so much for coming out... Simon, Reg, Steve, Tom, Steve, Justin, ... and others!  Thank you.

Mr.Woolery

Post by Mr.Woolery » Mon Oct 22, 2007 11:35 pm

I'm still in Oklahoma...

...I remember a someone saying something to the tune of "Welcome to Oklahoma--come on vacation, leave on probation"  :doh:

Just kidding.  But, yeah, I'm still in Oklahoma. :D
Taking a rest day, then heading back to California in the morning.  What a blast of a weekend we all had.  There's a novel in there somewhere, simply too much to recall in one post.  Surely we've gathered enough "materiel" for at LEAST a year's worth of inside jokes & proper setup for the next Atomfest. :tu:

apollyon25

Post by apollyon25 » Tue Oct 23, 2007 12:16 am

[quote="Factory"]
And finally to all those waiting for cars – our guys were back at work by 10 o’clock today, straight from the airport, building cars. So shhhhhhhh……. 
[/quote]

Consider the silence deafening...
<suitably chastised>
;D

(sorry... I just REALLY want mine... and I couldnt go to AtomFest.. and .. and...  :'( )

Awesome event by all accounts!
Well done Randy and team!

I will be at the next one!

starter

Post by starter » Tue Oct 23, 2007 3:43 am

Well from all the folks of Hallett...We loved meeting all of you . It was the most fun I have ever had...hope everyone had a safe trip home..And To all the Brits..Loved It Tom, Henery, Justin, Reg,Steve, Rookie, Simmon, Phil,And all the rest stay in touch...Sami
Last edited by starter on Tue Oct 23, 2007 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DarthChicken

Post by DarthChicken » Tue Oct 23, 2007 6:21 am

I drove with Shinoo and McFred to Albuquerque last night (660 miles).  Today I just arrived in Tulare Ca, about 900 miles more.  Tomorrow about 850 to go to get home.  Drove through Grant NM this morning when it was 20F outside (-6.7C).  Now... there's cold, and then there's COLD!  I had my helmet taped shut to keep the wind out, and had 3 layers on my legs and 4 on top to keep the cold at bay. 

More to follow Thursday... I need to go get some sleep, the miles are finally starting to catch up with me  8)

rfmarz@frontiernet

Post by rfmarz@frontiernet » Tue Oct 23, 2007 11:11 am

Darth, you're the IRONman! That is  C O L D! I hope the rest of your journey is uneventful. Great to have met you!

jon b

Post by jon b » Tue Oct 23, 2007 2:15 pm

Is Darth SERIOUSLY doing a journey in an Atom of 2400 miles EACH WAY????????????????????????????????????????  :o  :o  :o  :o

Mark K

Post by Mark K » Tue Oct 23, 2007 2:56 pm

[quote="jon b"]
Is Darth SERIOUSLY doing a journey in an Atom of 2400 miles EACH WAY????????????????????????????????????????   :o  :o  :o   :o
[/quote]

He sure is.  I live another 200 miles north of Darth and Bolus, I considered joining them but couldn't bear the thought of putting 5000+ miles on my car or my ass!

bolus

Post by bolus » Tue Oct 23, 2007 4:48 pm

[quote="jon b"]
Is Darth SERIOUSLY doing a journey in an Atom of 2400 miles EACH WAY????????????????????????????????????????   :o  :o  :o   :o
[/quote]

It was 2700 miles out.  He even decided to drive after I offered to pay for a truck and plane ticket back since I was not going to make it on the return trip with him

Gage

Post by Gage » Tue Oct 23, 2007 7:06 pm

That man loves the Atom.

shinoo

Post by shinoo » Tue Oct 23, 2007 8:21 pm

[quote="DarthChicken"]
....Drove through Grant NM this morning when it was 20F outside (-6.7C).  Now... there's cold, and then there's COLD!  [/quote]

That was my experience yesterday when I left Gallup.  It was so cold, I had 5 layers on plus 2 pair of pants.  My wife and kids laughed their heads off when I began peeling off the layers....

When I arrived in SoCal, another horror awaited me - wildfires and smoke.  The acrid smell was horrid.  Spaz mentioned that his olafactory sense was heightened by the Atom - he is right! 

Darth gets the prize for the longest total trip.  You sir, are certifiable!

Ah it is good to be home.

maverick1

Post by maverick1 » Wed Oct 24, 2007 1:56 am

[quote="shinoo"]
[quote="DarthChicken"]
....Drove through Grant NM this morning when it was 20F outside (-6.7C).  Now... there's cold, and then there's COLD!  [/quote]

That was my experience yesterday when I left Gallup.  It was so cold, I had 5 layers on plus 2 pair of pants.  My wife and kids laughed their heads off when I began peeling off the layers....

When I arrived in SoCal, another horror awaited me - wildfires and smoke.  The acrid smell was horrid.  Spaz mentioned that his olafactory sense was heightened by the Atom - he is right! 

Darth gets the prize for the longest total trip.  You sir, are certifiable!

Ah it is good to be home.

[/quote]
Hey shinoo I must have just missed you. I also stayed in Gallup that night and it was freezing. Did you run into any rain or sleet or snow on your way home? I did and it's not fun.
cheers

DarthChicken

Post by DarthChicken » Wed Oct 24, 2007 2:39 am

I made it, I'm home!  ;D  1700 miles in the last two days, 2400 miles in the last three.  Anybody want to buy a slightly used Atom? LOL

Bottoz - you saved me man.  Pulling a rolled up piece of clothing between my right knee and the side of the seat saved my knee and ankle both.  I would have never been able to do it without that little tip, I owe you big time!

I got to drive about 200 yards from the wildfire on highway 58 south of bakersfield last night.  The highway wasn't shut down, but the fire was RIGHT there and the smoke was bright orange from all the flames.  Talk about sureal! 

Glad you made it home ok last night Shinoo!  I was wondering if you had enough clothing to wrap up, that was nuts!  Speaking of smells... what the HELL is that odor from bakersfield to Fresno?!?!  I almost lost it in my helmet last night, I was alternating between laughing my butt off and gagging.

Also, yesterday while driving through the Mojave I saw a trailer flipped on its side, and the vehicle towing it (a suburban or maybe a tahoe) hanging from the hitch.  It was very strange looking, but everybody looked to be ok, and lots of folks had stopped (this was in the eastbound side, away from where I was on i-40).

Ok, I'm done being random now... I need to eat, and maybe sleep tonight.

(no sleet for me Maverick, must have just missed it)

silver

Post by silver » Wed Oct 24, 2007 2:41 am

Glad to see overall everyone making it home safe and sound.....even with a few close calls, it's better than a big problem....YOU GUYS GOTZ BALLZ