Discounts available to AAOC members at AtomFest

This is where Ariel.Club events specific to the US/Canada should be posted to
KK

Re: Discounts available to AAOC members at AtomFest

Post by KK » Sat Feb 24, 2007 11:55 pm

Thanks Alec.

I just wonder why you appear to have more access rights than most of the other people. I remember a similar occurence here.

If it were not me and my XP system having exactly the same issue as well I would want to declare this an Apple issue just to upset Driver ;) ;D

Alec

Post by Alec » Sat Feb 24, 2007 11:58 pm

[quote="Positron"]
Thanks, nothing too exciting really...
[/quote]

I'm just glad you have some tow vehicles as I thought you said your wife was pulling the Camper and she'd had to rope in some family members to help.  ;D

Klaus, I don't know why I seem to be able to access everything as I only have XP as well.
Atom 245, (Atom 160 - SOLD), Yamaha XVZ1300 Royal Star, Ford Sierra 4X4 Ghia Estate, Skoda Octavia vRS Estate, VW Golf 2.0 TSI GTI (Nadine's)

positron

Post by positron » Sun Feb 25, 2007 12:13 am

[quote="Alec"]
[quote="Positron"]
Thanks, nothing too exciting really...
[/quote]

I'm just glad you have some tow vehicles as I thought you said your wife was pulling the Camper and she'd had to rope in some family members to help.  ;D

Klaus, I don't know why I seem to be able to access everything as I only have XP as well.
[/quote]

nah.. I'd at least let her push it...

bolus

Post by bolus » Sun Feb 25, 2007 1:42 am

[quote="1st Austrian Atom 2 [Klaus]"]
Thanks Alec.

I just wonder why you appear to have more access rights than most of the other people. I remember a similar occurence here.

If it were not me and my XP system having exactly the same issue as well I would want to declare this an Apple issue just to upset Driver ;) ;D
[/quote]

Dragon drop works (drag and drop the link to the address line)

KK

Post by KK » Sun Feb 25, 2007 3:22 am

[quote="bolus"]
Thanks Alec.

[/quote]

[/quote]
Cut & paste works as well. Both approaches work because the referrer is not sent. What I however do not understand is why Alec's browser obviously does a referrer rewrite.
This was the conclusion arrived at in the other thread. For me this is a very strange, but obviously from time to time very useful, feature that I have never seen so far (other than on Alec's PC).

Alec

Post by Alec » Sun Feb 25, 2007 3:44 am

[quote="bolus"]
Thanks Alec.

[/quote]

[/quote]
Cut & paste works as well. Both approaches work because the referrer is not sent. What I however do not understand is why Alec's browser obviously does a referrer rewrite.
This was the conclusion arrived at in the other thread. For me this is a very strange, but obviously from time to time very useful, feature that I have never seen so far (other than on Alec's PC).
[/quote]

It works on both my Laptop and my PC, which are both on at the moment, but I have no idea why it's different for you.

They're on a wireless network through a router so maybe this is the reason.

I'll try switching a couple of my other PC's on tomorrow and see if they work as well, but they will all use the same network.
Atom 245, (Atom 160 - SOLD), Yamaha XVZ1300 Royal Star, Ford Sierra 4X4 Ghia Estate, Skoda Octavia vRS Estate, VW Golf 2.0 TSI GTI (Nadine's)

KK

Post by KK » Sun Feb 25, 2007 3:53 am

[quote="Alec"]
[/quote]
That would not be logical to me - though the other behaviour we have seen is no more logical as well. Provided you only do have one external IP address, which is common, the router would just do a so called NAT (Network Adress Translation), but the content of data transmitted / the request sent should stay the same. Wireless or wired does not make any difference other than the transmission media plus associated protocols at that level.

Alec

Post by Alec » Sun Feb 25, 2007 4:13 am

[quote="Alec"]
[/quote]
That would not be logical to me - though the other behaviour we have seen is no more logical as well. Provided you only do have one external IP address, which is common, the router would just do a so called NAT (Network Adress Translation), but the content of data transmitted / the request sent should stay the same. Wireless or wired does not make any difference other than the transmission media plus associated protocols at that level.
[/quote]

I think that I noticed a different IP address shown at the bottom of my posts depending on whether I use my Laptop or my PC, so I am posting this from a different one than my previous post to find out.

Alec

Post by Alec » Sun Feb 25, 2007 4:16 am

Yes, they both have a completely different IP address.

Driver

Post by Driver » Sun Feb 25, 2007 8:34 am

The simpler thing (in retrospect) to do would have been to just use the picture attachment in the forum software to begin with... ;)

KK

Post by KK » Sun Feb 25, 2007 1:34 pm

[quote="Alec"]
Yes, they both have a completely different IP address.
[/quote]
Alec - is this consistent - i.e. alywas the same IP for one computer? I guess you are talking about the IP address registered on the lower right hand part of you posts next to "Report to moderator" which shows "Logged" for all posts other than yours. This is the externally visible IP address under which you surf the web.

Your internal IP address must anyway be unique for each and every computer on the same network segment. The internal IP address is usually part of the private IP range which will not be routed through the internet. The most common private IP range is 192.168.x.y. You would be able to see your internal IP address by entering "ipconfig /all" from a Command Windows in XP (Command windows may be started by START - Run; then enter "cmd.exe").

Usually a router changes the internal IP address for an external one by NAT (Network Address Translation) so that every PC behind the router uses the same address externally.

If it is the case that your external IP address (not the internal) is different for every PC it appears that you do have more than one externally visible IP address assigned to you - which is very rare. ???

Bruce Fielding

Post by Bruce Fielding » Sun Feb 25, 2007 1:37 pm

This conversation needs to be moved to another thread, please chaps...
Ariel Atom Owners Club founder, based in Central London

positron

Post by positron » Sun Feb 25, 2007 4:07 pm

Sorry for the derail....
Attachments
Derailed train.jpg
Derailed train.jpg (88.76 KiB) Viewed 611 times