Are the British coming?

This is where Ariel.Club events specific to the US/Canada should be posted to
benyeats

Re: Are the British coming?

Post by benyeats » Wed May 03, 2006 10:15 pm

Just to bring this back to the top.

Last year a group of Caterham owners did a similar thing and drove from Houston Tx to San Fran CA.  Cars were shipped from the UK (about £1500 return in containers) and insured via a company called 'sunshine' insurance whilst in the US.

I am in contact with the organisers to find out more of the details

Ben

Richard Marler
Administrator

Post by Richard Marler » Thu May 04, 2006 8:15 am

Great work Ben, let me know if you need any support in this work. I am still keen to make this happen. With the US dollar so weak, if we could find an American shipping company there should be savings to be had.
Atom 3 300. Surrey, England.

Bruce Fielding

Post by Bruce Fielding » Thu May 04, 2006 8:19 am

The dollar may be weak, but the unions at the ports are still immensely strong (a bit like the ingredients in the foundations to some of the flyovers they have there...) and that's what keeps the prices up.
Ariel Atom Owners Club founder, based in Central London

benyeats

Post by benyeats » Thu May 04, 2006 8:43 am

[quote="Bruce Fielding"]
The dollar may be weak, but the unions at the ports are still immensely strong (a bit like the ingredients in the foundations to some of the flyovers they have there...) and that's what keeps the prices up.
[/quote]

I think the problem with global shipping capacity at the moment (and for the short to medium term as more ships are brought on stream) is that everything you buy is made in China and has to get to the shops somehow, this effect is reducing cargo capacity drastically.

I will keep pushing the Caterham guys for more info as I too am really keen to do this.

Ben

Bruce Fielding

Post by Bruce Fielding » Thu May 04, 2006 9:11 am

Ben. I think you should be in charge of this... I'll forward all the correspondance that I have had so far...
Ariel Atom Owners Club founder, based in Central London

benyeats

Post by benyeats » Thu May 04, 2006 9:16 am

[quote="Bruce Fielding"]
Ben. I think you should be in charge of this... I'll forward all the correspondance that I have had so far...
[/quote]

Happy to be volunteered !  The Caterham guys had 40 cars shipped over. 

Ben