Atom Superfest

This is where Ariel.Club events specific to the US/Canada should be posted to
Flying Phil

Re: Atom Superfest

Post by Flying Phil » Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:15 pm

Since Mark's away, whom should we book with? I'm good for two non-car entries, plus a rental... Is someone else getting Mark's voicemail?

atomaker

Post by atomaker » Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:07 pm

Peter & Phil: noted, with thanks. 

Steve: still far off having critical mass on commitments, but at least starting to show spark!

Mark's back on Sunday.  He'll follow up as necessary.

Regards,
Dave

atomaker

Post by atomaker » Sun Apr 03, 2011 4:03 pm

Hello All,

The time has now come for us to officially confirm that Atom SuperFest isn’t going to happen here at VIR/TMI this year.  We have relatively few firm commitments on-hand and there just hasn’t been enough overall interest or support expressed to date to warrant continuing to pursue this event.  Although we’re genuinely disappointed, we’re not surprised.  We do understand & appreciate the various issues & concerns involved with the travel logistics, the time of year and the individual costs.  It was the best arrangements here that we were able to come up with for 2011 and we felt that it warranted a full effort from our side, regardless.

We sincerely regret any inconvenience that may have been caused to anyone as a result of this decision to postpone the event.  It’s another reason that we set such an early deadline date for the event.  Anyone who has submitted any Atom SuperFest deposit directly to us will receive a prompt, full refund.

For now, we want to consider the 2011 Atom SuperFest ‘postponed’ until another time (tbd), vs. ‘cancelled’.  Any future date would have to be collectively up to all of us to decide & agree upon in advance, if sufficient interest would then exist.  For us here at TMI, this is the only location that makes good sense for us to hold & fully support such an event, so the travel distance issue wouldn’t go away for many of you in future, no matter what time of year.

BUT, in spite of us not being able to stage the 2011 Atom SuperFest, we do still intend to make it very evident that we have a sincere interest, desire & commitment to doing our part to support all Atom owners throughout North America in using & enjoying their cars, so please read on.

We’d first like to make known our full support to Tom, and now to Pete as well, in all that they’ll be working hard to do on behalf of the AAOC going forward.  They’ll be doing much of the ‘heavy lifting’ to help build and improve upon Club membership value & benefits, with Pete working on behalf of the US/Canada members in particular.  We'll just continue focusing the majority of our energies on building, strengthening & expanding our own Atom business since this is perhaps the best overall way that we can help support existing & future North American Atom owners.  But we’ll always be here to help Tom and Pete whenever they may need us.  We hope that this goes without saying as also being applicable to any NA Ariel Atom owner, to the best of our abilities.  All anyone ever has to do is direct call or email any of our team here at TMI (Mark, Sheila, Brent or Dave)!  We may never be able to please everyone every time, but that won't prevent us from trying our best. 

Considering that regionally organized & attended events are probably the best way for smaller, local groups of owners to get together with their cars on a regular basis, we're going to appropriately allocate some funds that we would otherwise have applied to 2011 SuperFest cost subsidies.  We want to make these funds available to regional Atom owner group(s) who organize and execute group events for Ariel Atoms.  This doesn’t only mean for track day events!  There’ll be some basic & sensible min. qualifications involved (i.e., min. of 6 paid-up AAOC members/event, etc., etc.), but we’ll make available up to a total of $6,000. for up to 6 such organized events in the US and/or Canada through the remainder of 2011 (= up to $1,000./event).  One of these 6 events will be a weekend track day/autocross only event to be held here at VIR, probably on a scheduled SRA race weekend - tbd.  We’ll continue looking at providing this type of NA factory support to NA AAOC events, on an annual basis. 

And yes, we would support NA AAOC member discounts here at TMI AutoTech, once the Club here becomes somewhat more formalized. 

Overall, we think that these are some of the most appropriate ways that we can help support increased Club growth, mutual respect & cooperation between ourselves and the AAOC membership in North America at this time. 
If you have an Ariel Atom event planned, or want to plan for something in your local area or region, just give us a call if you’re interested in a bit of financial support from TMI AutoTech.  There are no strings attached!

Best regards,

The TMI AutoTech Team       

toms

Post by toms » Sun Apr 03, 2011 4:10 pm

[quote="atomaker"]
Hello All,

The time has now come for us to officially confirm that Atom SuperFest isn’t going to happen here at VIR/TMI this year.  We have relatively few firm commitments on-hand and there just hasn’t been enough overall interest or support expressed to date to warrant continuing to pursue this event.  Although we’re genuinely disappointed, we’re not surprised.  We do understand & appreciate the various issues & concerns involved with the travel logistics, the time of year and the individual costs.  It was the best arrangements here that we were able to come up with for 2011 and we felt that it warranted a full effort from our side, regardless.

We sincerely regret any inconvenience that may have been caused to anyone as a result of this decision to postpone the event.  It’s another reason that we set such an early deadline date for the event.  Anyone who has submitted any Atom SuperFest deposit directly to us will receive a prompt, full refund.

For now, we want to consider the 2011 Atom SuperFest ‘postponed’ until another time (tbd), vs. ‘cancelled’.  Any future date would have to be collectively up to all of us to decide & agree upon in advance, if sufficient interest would then exist.  For us here at TMI, this is the only location that makes good sense for us to hold & fully support such an event, so the travel distance issue wouldn’t go away for many of you in future, no matter what time of year.

BUT, in spite of us not being able to stage the 2011 Atom SuperFest, we do still intend to make it very evident that we have a sincere interest, desire & commitment to doing our part to support all Atom owners throughout North America in using & enjoying their cars, so please read on.

We’d first like to make known our full support to Tom, and now to Pete as well, in all that they’ll be working hard to do on behalf of the AAOC going forward.  They’ll be doing much of the ‘heavy lifting’ to help build and improve upon Club membership value & benefits, with Pete working on behalf of the US/Canada members in particular.  We'll just continue focusing the majority of our energies on building, strengthening & expanding our own Atom business since this is perhaps the best overall way that we can help support existing & future North American Atom owners.  But we’ll always be here to help Tom and Pete whenever they may need us.  We hope that this goes without saying as also being applicable to any NA Ariel Atom owner, to the best of our abilities.  All anyone ever has to do is direct call or email any of our team here at TMI (Mark, Sheila, Brent or Dave)!  We may never be able to please everyone every time, but that won't prevent us from trying our best. 

Considering that regionally organized & attended events are probably the best way for smaller, local groups of owners to get together with their cars on a regular basis, we're going to appropriately allocate some funds that we would otherwise have applied to 2011 SuperFest cost subsidies.  We want to make these funds available to regional Atom owner group(s) who organize and execute group events for Ariel Atoms.  This doesn’t only mean for track day events!  There’ll be some basic & sensible min. qualifications involved (i.e., min. of 6 paid-up AAOC members/event, etc., etc.), but we’ll make available up to a total of $6,000. for up to 6 such organized events in the US and/or Canada through the remainder of 2011 (= up to $1,000./event).  One of these 6 events will be a weekend track day/autocross only event to be held here at VIR, probably on a scheduled SRA race weekend - tbd.  We’ll continue looking at providing this type of NA factory support to NA AAOC events, on an annual basis.   

And yes, we would support NA AAOC member discounts here at TMI AutoTech, once the Club here becomes somewhat more formalized. 

Overall, we think that these are some of the most appropriate ways that we can help support increased Club growth, mutual respect & cooperation between ourselves and the AAOC membership in North America at this time. 
If you have an Ariel Atom event planned, or want to plan for something in your local area or region, just give us a call if you’re interested in a bit of financial support from TMI AutoTech.  There are no strings attached!

Best regards,

The TMI AutoTech Team         

[/quote]

Sorry about the Superfest for this year but  :tu: to the rest Dave - and thanks for your support!

Bruce Fielding

Post by Bruce Fielding » Sun Apr 03, 2011 4:44 pm

Pity... but understandable...

I've cancelled my Villa and put the malts back on the racks.

I'm not one for post mortems, but in this case it might be useful.

I'd be interested to know what made the previous Atomfests more do-able...

Was it the location? The time of year? The anticipated weather? The 'amateur' nature? (Although the organisation was anything but...)

Perhaps someone could start a poll with all the relevant factors - some of which I might have missed?
Ariel Atom Owners Club founder, based in Central London

toms

Post by toms » Sun Apr 03, 2011 5:15 pm

[quote="Bruce Fielding"]
Pity... but understandable...

I've cancelled my Villa and put the malts back on the racks.

I'm not one for post mortems, but in this case it might be useful.

I'd be interested to know what made the previous Atomfests more do-able...

Was it the location? The time of year? The anticipated weather? The 'amateur' nature? (Although the organisation was anything but...)

Perhaps someone could start a poll with all the relevant factors - some of which I might have missed?
[/quote]

I think the only thing that made previous Atomfests happen at all was Randy.

He gave up weeks of his spare time and put thousands of his own money in.....and didn't get either back!!!

I don't think anyone can reasonably expect TMI to do the same - so without decent attendance numbers it's always going to be difficult  :'(
Last edited by toms on Sun Apr 03, 2011 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

atomathics

Post by atomathics » Sun Apr 03, 2011 5:45 pm

Bruce, to answer your question, Atomfest was attractive because it was easier logistically and financially.  The other thing was that it came from a single person's insane enthusiasm for the Atom; that purity was really attractive and made for a can-not-miss event.

The program that was on schedule for TMI's event looked to be simply awesome, and they deserve a lot of credit for not only trying to organize a huge event, but for trying to do it while launching a race series and keeping the lights on with daily business.  I understand that there weren't a lot of time slots available at VIR, but I think the biggest drawback was the time of year.  I think if this event had been scheduled in August or September, they would have hit their target for attendees.

Now, on to this:

[quote="atomaker"]
Considering that regionally organized & attended events are probably the best way for smaller, local groups of owners to get together with their cars on a regular basis, we're going to appropriately allocate some funds that we would otherwise have applied to 2011 SuperFest cost subsidies.  We want to make these funds available to regional Atom owner group(s) who organize and execute group events for Ariel Atoms.  This doesn’t only mean for track day events!  There’ll be some basic & sensible min. qualifications involved (i.e., min. of 6 paid-up AAOC members/event, etc., etc.), but we’ll make available up to a total of $6,000. for up to 6 such organized events in the US and/or Canada through the remainder of 2011 (= up to $1,000./event).
[/quote]

Honestly, this is the smartest thing I've seen on this board in a while.  Thanks, TMI, this is the exact kind of thing you should be doing to support this market.  This financial support, plus discounts for club members, is a great example of how a club / factory relationship should work.

Heywood-Yablowme

Post by Heywood-Yablowme » Sun Apr 03, 2011 6:21 pm

The November event date and the very early commitment date were the deciding factors for me to pause...  November is iffy weather-wise..not just at the track location,but for travelling conditions all across the country. Once the snow flies,and they start laying down rock salt and calcium chloride all over the roads..I put my cherished toys away.

Glad to see TMI communicating so well with everyone! :tu:

beckertb

Post by beckertb » Sun Apr 03, 2011 7:42 pm

If this was in the late spring or summer, I would have committed.  November @ VIR as everyone else has said is iffy.

ben

capblaster

Post by capblaster » Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:55 pm

Maybe we could get an Atomfest scheduled out this year for Hallett. It would be central for everyone.
Last edited by capblaster on Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gage

Post by Gage » Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:14 pm

[quote="capblaster"]
Maybe we could get an Atomfest scheduled out this year for Hallett. It would be central for everyone.
[/quote]

It doesn't have to be a big event.  5 to 10 of us would have a great time together on that track.  I would be all over it.

SaturnV

Post by SaturnV » Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:33 pm

Really a shame that this wasn't a successful effort.

In response to Bruce's inquiries, I'd like to chime in:
For me, this was all about the timing. If the event were in June, July, August, or even September, I would have commited and planned to drive my Atom cross-country. In November, this was not an option. TMI was aware of this and tried to provide a transport truck for the west coast guys. Unfortunately, there was not enough interest to make this happen.

VIR is establishing itself as one of North America's great race tracks, and I would jump at the opportunity to drive my Atom there. Please try to organize an event for us there in the summertime. I think you will get a much more enthusiastic response.

dp35

Post by dp35 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:54 pm

Sorry this didn't work out, but I think TMI deserves a lot of credit for the way they're switching gears & finding other ways to support Atom owners.  The ideas of supporting regional gatherings (on & off track) and getting the AAOC involved are really great.  Thanks TMI! 

Bruce - I think each of the factors you mentioned played a part in people not committing, as well as one other - the economy.

Bruce Fielding

Post by Bruce Fielding » Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:59 am

So, if timing is the key, and lead time is always a factor here...

...when in the Summer of 2012 will the postponed Atom Superfest be taking place?
Ariel Atom Owners Club founder, based in Central London

SpatialThreat

Post by SpatialThreat » Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:59 am

[quote="Bruce Fielding"]
So, if timing is the key, and lead time is always a factor here...

...when in the Summer of 2012 will the postponed Atom Superfest be taking place?
[/quote]

End of May would be awesome...  :tu: