West Coast Adventure 2010

This is where Ariel.Club events specific to the US/Canada should be posted to
CalScot

West Coast Adventure 2010

Post by CalScot » Thu Sep 24, 2009 7:20 pm

OK, here we go again :laugh:

I'm having serious withdrawal symptoms from Atomfest. I need some adrenalin fixing and I need to plan something. Ive got a busy schedule such as potentially/probably mounting a full scale effort to run in the Pacific F2000 season next year and participate and possibly create a team of Atom owners to start a team to run the 24 of Le Mons next year. Not to mention getting my Atom repaired back to 100% health. :P However, It's time to think about next year and what we can do here on the West Coast.

My initial idea is to piggy back with a track day organizer (TDO) such as Speeventures and run Laguna Seca. This get's us on one of the best tracks in the world for about $250 a day. We could NEVER afford to book this by ourselves. I know the Speedventures guys well. We would get our own dedicated run group and at least 4 x 20 minute sessions per day and I could probably organize it for 5 sessions. We would organize our own padock area and like last time, have wifes and friends join in and we would self cater the track food and social stuff. We could tie in a Big Sur run the day before or after, The track has a great campsite or we can get discounted hotel rooms as part of the TDO deal. There are several things we can do as part of the event. I could book a catered meal for us at the Bernardus lodge (very nice) and it's a nice drive from the track. All sorts of nice stuff we could do.

If we get decent enough interest, I can talk to Speedventures early in the game. They book 2010 track days in December of 09 so we can be in on the organizing early and get good pricing and prefered scheduling.

I know it's a wee bit far for the Washington and Portland groups but it's a fantastic track and has great ammenities surrounding it.

Any feedback?

NormLarson

Re: West Coast Adventure 2010

Post by NormLarson » Thu Sep 24, 2009 7:36 pm

Laguna?, .... hell yes!

1965Cobra427

Post by 1965Cobra427 » Thu Sep 24, 2009 7:38 pm

I'd love to run Laguna. I'll come if the planets are in alignment.

dp35

Post by dp35 » Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:29 pm

This is a fantastic idea - count me in! 

A few thoughts:

- The challenge with Laguna Seca (or Sears Point/Infineon) is that they host several big time events in the prime season (summer), so the available days are limited and expensive.  Weekdays are likely more available than weekends. 
- The idea of taking in the scenery of the area is good, not only because its there, but also because the higher track cost would make it hard to have as much track time as we had at Atomfest.
- I've driven with Speed Ventures and liked them.  But there's another group to consider, Northern California Racing Club (NCRC), which is the one group I like the most.  This is by far the lowest cost group of all, and they also have a race group that allows Atoms.  They love Atoms, and have talked to me about wanting to get more of them out to the track.  NCRC has a day coming up at LS for just $179, which is the cheapest price ever for that track, but its in December. 
- It might be possible to do one day on the track at LS and another at Thunderhill, which is more available, and on the way home to Oregon/Washington.  The drive between these two tracks would be mostly along the California coastline, maybe done in one day or two.

Regardless of where, when, who, or how, I'm ready for another WCA.

DarthChicken

Post by DarthChicken » Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:01 pm

In

In

IN IN IN IN IN IN IN IN IN!!!!!!!!!

A wee bit far... whatever...  ::)

fiestycolumbian

Post by fiestycolumbian » Fri Sep 25, 2009 12:15 am

[quote="CalScot"]
OK, here we go again :laugh:

I'm having serious withdrawal symptoms from Atomfest. I need some adrenalin fixing and I need to plan something, and possibly create a team of Atom owners to start a team to run the 24 of Le Mons next year.
[/quote]
Me too, I feel like I am also having track withdrawals, even though I am not a track junkie per say.

I love the Le Mons idea!! Even though its a far fetched and crazy idea, its your best idea yet!!!!

I would love to drive LS, I have never driven and always wanted to drive that track.

Do we really have to wait till next summer? :D :D

Im in regardless of where!

fiesty

positron

Post by positron » Fri Sep 25, 2009 1:19 am

We're not even home from AF2 yet....  We're in.  :tu:
Last edited by positron on Fri Sep 25, 2009 1:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

shinoo

Post by shinoo » Fri Sep 25, 2009 3:07 am

awesome track - just drove it in July.  I'm in.  :tu:

Wmcmanus

Post by Wmcmanus » Fri Sep 25, 2009 3:57 am

Dang!  I've just moved my rig to Tampa for winter storage!  But... if it's not until Spring, I'd do everything I could to be there.

I'd also love to do an East Coast Adventure at VIR.

Mr.Woolery

Post by Mr.Woolery » Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:44 am

Any noise limitations for that day?

dp35

Post by dp35 » Fri Sep 25, 2009 5:03 am

[quote="The Masked Spaz"]
Any noise limitations for that day?[/quote]

Since we don't know the date yet, that question can't be answered.  But most if not all track days are held at times when the noise restrictions are in place. 

My Honda 245 Atom with the stock muffler doesn't have a problem, but I've seen Ecotec Atoms get hassled about it.  If it becomes too much of a problem, you can always short shift and/or lift as you pass the sound station.  Positron would have a better answer.

benyeats

Post by benyeats » Fri Sep 25, 2009 8:49 am

Put me down for a stint at Le Mons, that looks like a fantastic even and hope to manage my hols a bit better next year so I can come to some US Atom events

Ben

wisp

Post by wisp » Fri Sep 25, 2009 12:11 pm

What will you run seeing that 24 of Le Mons cars must be purchased, fixed up, and track-prepped for a total of 500 dollars or less?

positron

Post by positron » Fri Sep 25, 2009 12:32 pm

92 dB is basically "street legal.". With my Borla I blow 96-98 dB. With my 18" Supertrapp poot can with 22 disks I'm under at 89.
.http://picasaweb.google.com/m/viewer#album/dennisscars/5361885394663077377,authkey:Gv1sRgCMfWq8jD7d6vFA

Most Hondas should be ok. Darth may be ok with his turbo. They are serious with this stuff. You get black flagged only three times and if you fail to come in it's $1,000 per lap until you do.

I'm sure Eddie's is the same as an F-18 taking off.

Infineon is 103 dB. 
Last edited by positron on Fri Sep 25, 2009 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DarthChicken

Post by DarthChicken » Fri Sep 25, 2009 1:32 pm

I plan on putting a supertrapp flange on the end of my muffler if I can't get down below 92, but my car is pretty damn quiet with the turbo/catalytic converter combination.  I'll make a point of asking at infineon what I'm measured at, and if I'm above 92 I'll get a supertrapp flange welded on to my exhaust tip and start playing with discs.

I had planned on running LS next year anyway (one more of those "must do before I die" items).