Jacob :-)

positron

Re: AtomFest Awards Dinner - Please read

Post by positron » Wed Oct 17, 2007 3:07 am

Nomex  ;D

Wmcmanus

Post by Wmcmanus » Tue Oct 23, 2007 12:54 pm

Kind of a "bump" to the top to ask: 1) what awards were given, and 2) who won them?

John Lloyd

Post by John Lloyd » Tue Oct 23, 2007 3:22 pm

[quote="Wmcmanus"]
Kind of a "bump" to the top to ask: 1) what awards were given, and 2) who won them?
[/quote]

Very nice glass ones and all the right people.

1965Cobra427

Post by 1965Cobra427 » Tue Oct 23, 2007 3:24 pm

Atomic Express Award - to Stephens Brothers Racing for providing speedy maintenance and repair service from early morning to late at night, keeping the Atom fleet on the track to the maximum.   :tu:

Atomic Passion Award - to Bolus, for toughing it out through severe medical complications during his 5 day drive to AtomFest. Lots of folks made sacrifices to come to AtomFest, but Eric is tops on my list.   :-X

Atomic Gastronomy Award - to Calscot for providing the ultimate selection of beverages, straight from California. He was also informally voted as the guy you'd most like to party with. He also brought a wicked supercharged Honda powered Atom that will be spoken of wherever people talk about AtomFest.  :o

Atomic Velocity Award - to Joe Park for new Atom track record of 1:22.6 set during the "Exhibition of Speed" event on Friday morning. Joe also worked in the Stephens Brothers Race Shop through the week to help others' cars go quickly, all he asked in exchange was a quick "test drive." ;)

Atomic Perfection Award - to the Ariel Atom Owner's Club for creating an environment and platform wherein people from diverse backgraounds and distant locations on the planet could develop good friendships, affording the opportunity at AtomFest to meet "old friends" for the very first time. We think that's perfect.  :tu:  :tu:

Atomic Enforcement Award - to the Hallett corner workers who kept us safe (at least while we were on the track). Zero injuries and very minimal car damage in three days of balls-out blasting around the challenging 1.8 mile circuit.  :police:

Atomic Fabricator Award - to Bruce Fielding. Sometimes we can tell he's fabricating, somethimes not, but what a result his tireless work and contribution to the Forum had produced.  :laugh:

Atomic Power Award - to Simons Petroleum supplier of Sunoco racing fuels and major sponsor of the event. Simons provided a great band featuring Angie Brady to cap off Saturday evening's festivities. Simons petroleum celebrated it's 60th Anniversary during AtomFest including a great meal shared with corner workers and others not attending the awards dinner. Great people, Brabara Simons brought her Atom and drove if ferociously on the track and made sure everyone knew that she had spun once and husband Roger twice.  :)

Atomic Twister Award - to Jim Sharp, AtomFest sponsor and along with his partner Kyong Chong, generous in giving and loaning parts, services, assistance and rides to anyone who asked. Jim also provided his 2 Atoms to several guest drivers who made the most of the 3 days of "Atoms at Speed" As a result, nobody's Atoms did as much spinning on an off the track. (PS- Bruce helped him identify an improperly set brake bias adjuster that had contributed to many spins)   8)

Atomic Partnership Award - to The Ariel Motor Company for bringing the whole gang to AtomFest and diving in head first, lending a hand with advice, ideas, creativity and . . . hands to Atom owners to keep their cars going and build on the future of our cars and our passion. AS event organizer, I was overwhelmed by the participation of the Company and could not be happier.  :tu:  :tu:

Bruce Fielding

Post by Bruce Fielding » Tue Oct 23, 2007 4:31 pm

[quote="1965Cobra427"]
Atomic Fabricator Award - to Bruce Fielding. Sometimes we can tell he's fabricating, somethimes not, but what a result his tireless work and contribution to the Forum had produced.  :laugh:
[/quote]

I'm not exactly sure of the rules about this sort of thing across the pond, but calling someone a liar usually gets your head kicked in in the UK... unless you're very, very tongue in cheek about it.  ;)

I'd love to know what bits you think I make up...
Ariel Atom Owners Club founder, based in Central London

bolus

Post by bolus » Tue Oct 23, 2007 4:34 pm

I took the "make stuff up" part as a big joke and the true award was for how much effort you put into building up the community of owners. 

rfmarz@frontiernet

Post by rfmarz@frontiernet » Tue Oct 23, 2007 4:49 pm

ditto. Don't worry Bruce. We all love you and know how much you mean to the Atom owners. Besides, you'd have to catch me in my Atom before you could do anything to me! :P :laugh:

Wmcmanus

Post by Wmcmanus » Tue Oct 23, 2007 4:52 pm

[quote="bolus"]
I took the "make stuff up" part as a big joke and the true award was for how much effort you put into building up the community of owners. 
[/quote]

x2.  Bruce deserves as much thanks as anyone for the success of the AtomFest and all of the other cool interactions that stem from this forum.  I'm sure that's what Randy was saying. :tu:

Driver

Post by Driver » Tue Oct 23, 2007 4:59 pm

I was all set to drive the UK Synergy Atom to the crusie when along comes Bruce and he says, wait, TELLS me I'll be driving the EcoTec one! Seems Bruce can't be bothered to drive one with the "incorrect" seats in it.  :) We really should start giving him a hard time about that. I'll keep looking through the picts to see if I spy him in any.

No bruce no fighting needed with that award. I think the tall tales award would go to Spaz who had a whole bar full of women thinking he was Scottish and a relation to Ewan McGregor. When giving updates to us at the table he even stayed in character. :)

benyeats

Post by benyeats » Tue Oct 23, 2007 5:02 pm

[quote="Driver"]
I was all set to drive the UK Synergy Atom to the crusie when along comes Bruce and he says, wait, TELLS me I'll be driving the EcoTec one! Seems Bruce can't be bothered to drive one with the "incorrect" seats in it.  :) We really should start giving him a hard time about that. I'll keep looking through the picts to see if I spy him in any.
[/quote]

To be fair the UK Atom did end up with the two tallest guys at Atomfest in it so the separate seats would not really have worked out well (plus been less comfortable, heavier etc ;)  )

Ben

John Lloyd

Post by John Lloyd » Tue Oct 23, 2007 5:09 pm

[quote="Bruce Fielding"]
[quote="1965Cobra427"]
Atomic Fabricator Award - to Bruce Fielding. Sometimes we can tell he's fabricating, somethimes not, but what a result his tireless work and contribution to the Forum had produced.  :laugh:
[/quote]

I'm not exactly sure of the rules about this sort of thing across the pond, but calling someone a liar usually gets your head kicked in in the UK... unless you're very, very tongue in cheek about it.  ;)

[/quote]

Most of it!  ;D

Bruce Fielding

Post by Bruce Fielding » Tue Oct 23, 2007 6:14 pm

[quote="Driver"]
I was all set to drive the UK Synergy Atom to the crusie when along comes Bruce and he says, wait, TELLS me I'll be driving the EcoTec one!
[/quote]

Excuse me! You lost at scissors parer stone fair and square! The fact that I didn't happen to mention why we were playing had nothing to do with it! ;D

I did drive a couple with individual seats...
Ariel Atom Owners Club founder, based in Central London

Driver

Post by Driver » Tue Oct 23, 2007 6:48 pm

Yeah Iseem to rememebr that. Still doesn't mean I can't give you a little about it. :)

1965Cobra427

Post by 1965Cobra427 » Tue Oct 23, 2007 8:32 pm

[quote="Bruce Fielding"]
[quote="1965Cobra427"]
[/quote]
[/quote]

Fortunately we have video tape of my presentation to you during the awards dinner. Once I get them I can recover the full extent of my "fabrication" statement (which didn't come accross in my recollection this morning.) I'm still a bit spaced out from lack of sleep. I did intend to portray and think included in my verbal presentation; fabrication of the type that helped make AtomFest a success, the creative inputs and cultural insights that you passed along to me were invaluable and I really appreciate them. Do now I seem to be sucking up? Well, I hope so since I know at any time you can snatch me right up off my feet and toss me around like a rag doll! In any event, you get the award and I remember voluminous applause comfirming the entire crowd's agreement that you deserve it. Congratulations and my sincere thanks to you, my friend.