AtomFest Track Event/Competition Thread Sept 2009.

This is where Ariel.Club events specific to the US/Canada should be posted to
Driver

Re: AtomFest Track Event/Competition Thread Sept 2009.

Post by Driver » Sat Jan 24, 2009 8:31 pm

No skid pad, no large paved area suitable for those types of maneuvers that I can recall.
Last edited by Driver on Sat Jan 24, 2009 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mr.Woolery

Post by Mr.Woolery » Sat Jan 24, 2009 9:20 pm

I really like the idea of an "out of control" clinic.  That'd be a wonderful way to learn some behaviors of the car at its limits under differing conditions.  :tu:

positron

Post by positron » Sat Jan 24, 2009 11:58 pm

We found at WCA a good number of participants appreciated pairing up for a session of lead/follow. The mass group was good to see the track at a leisurely pace but pairing up seems to give the follower a chance to see better at speed.

Some folks would rather go around well than blast around poorly. Darth, myself, WildWhl and Norm, in different combinations, had a blast.

None of us could keep up with CalScot and dp35.

1965Cobra427

Post by 1965Cobra427 » Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:09 am

I'm giving some thought about having one day run in the clockwise direction. It's a little more challenging, especially in turn 1 (turns are numbered the same regardless of direction). The attached video is all in the clockwise direction.

Any thoughts?

DarthChicken

Post by DarthChicken » Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:45 am

Having gone a parade lap clockwise, I think you guys should do it.  I won't be there, but having seen the track both directions, I can say that its a completely different track run the opposite way. 

dp35

Post by dp35 » Mon Jan 26, 2009 5:04 am

[quote="The Masked Spaz"]
I really like the idea of an "out of control" clinic.  That'd be a wonderful way to learn some behaviors of the car at its limits under differing conditions.   :tu:
[/quote]

I agree.  We sort of had something like this at WCA, when we ran around the triangle.  I also spent some time on the race track experimenting with drifting, it was tons of fun and I learned a lot too.  Never had another opportunity like that.  Normally its 3 spins or wheels off and you're kicked out.

An exercise where spinning out is encouraged or at least tolerated would be very helpful for Atom drivers of all skill levels.  Of course we'd need plenty of runoff and only one car at a time.

And if drifting Atoms ever becomes boring, maybe we could try shooting guns while drifting...

atomathics

Post by atomathics » Mon Jan 26, 2009 5:16 am

Positron wrote: We found at WCA a good number of participants appreciated pairing up for a session of lead/follow....
Some folks would rather go around well than blast around poorly. Darth, myself, WildWhl and Norm, in different combinations, had a blast.
The lead / follow sounds really great, as does what dp35 mentioned about the triangle (guessing this means a skidpad-like exercise using throttle only to steer?)  I wasn't looking to blast around poorly, just looking for a safe way to test out what would happen if I did something I know I shouldn't be doing... a big "what-if" session with big fluffy pillows all 'round!

If there's room for an autocross, it should be big enough to set up some kind of a practice area, and dp35's "spinning clinic" idea is great, too.

-a

Driver

Post by Driver » Mon Jan 26, 2009 5:27 am

You REALLY need to look at the aerial shots of Hallet. There's just not any space other than the track for doing those types of things. And the triangle they had at Reno would be hard to replicate at Hallett. Maybe, and that's a big MAYBE they could do something near the entrance where there's more pavement but as I recall there was a lot of loose gravel in the infield.

DarthChicken

Post by DarthChicken » Mon Jan 26, 2009 5:43 am

Who said anything about Hallett?  I thought we were talking about the walmart parking lot.

Right after that, hit the Rib Crib, right?  8)

fiestycolumbian

Post by fiestycolumbian » Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:19 am

Aside from driving the atom on the track, the triangle excercise at Reno was the most fun I have ever had in the atom.

Pounding around and around, deep braking, rear lockup, weight transfer, throttle on oversteer, etc. was a blast! Plus the speed stayed between 35-65mph, so it was safe and fun.

As a fairly new track driver, I learned a bunch about car control.

Lets try to do the same excercise at Hallet if possible.

fiesty

Driver

Post by Driver » Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:35 am

I agree, the triangle exercise at Reno truly looked like a blast. Just standing there watching it was fun. I think people pushed so hard and let it all hang out because it was such a open and clearly safe area. Having been to Hallett I just don't see any place it could safely be done. The barriers around the track, the surfaces of the infield areas and lack of run off when the Atom spins out in those areas I don't think would allow for it. But maybe the track has had some changes in the last year or so...

Lane

Post by Lane » Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:43 am

[quote="Driver"]
I agree, the triangle exercise at Reno truly looked like a blast.[/quote]

Any video available on the web?
Image 300hp Ecotec Atom that is driven.  Visit my website.

Driver

Post by Driver » Mon Jan 26, 2009 7:05 am

Not that I know of, Ihave some picts if I can ever get back on getting them scaled down web friendly and put up.

benyeats

Post by benyeats » Mon Jan 26, 2009 9:48 am

[quote="DarthChicken"]
Who said anything about Hallett?  I thought we were talking about the walmart parking lot.

Right after that, hit the Rib Crib, right?  8)
[/quote]

Great minds think alike, was about to post the same except the bit about going to the Rib Crib again ;)

1965Cobra427

Post by 1965Cobra427 » Mon Jan 26, 2009 5:08 pm

Can you guys give me an idea of the dimensions of the triangle? I have run short segments at Hallett to scuff in tires where I ran from turn 3 to turn 7, did a 'bat turn' and ran back. The track width in the turn 4-5 area is expansive - way more that you would think by just driving through it. Maybe some form of enlongated rectangle as opposed to a triangle? The big concern I have here is that if we use a portion of the track, it necessarily prevents use of the track for full track events. Many have expressed such a preference to maximize the number of track time, I am trying to balance the two.

I am making plans for an auto-x type event which will take track time. Maybe we can do it simultaneously on different portions of the track? It's early - plenty of time to work these things out.

I disagree with the thought that there is not enough run off space. Even at full track speeds, most sections of the track have far more run off than even the quickest cars need. It would be easy to choose areas of the track to maximize run-off. Also -I take it that this (triangle) is more about low speed manuvers and not about high speed? If we want to further reduce the speeds and still go for the out-of-control situation, a little water will go a long way . . .