Atomfest - What would YOU have done differently?

This is where Ariel.Club events specific to the US/Canada should be posted to
Jul

Re: Atomfest - What would YOU have done differently?

Post by Jul » Wed Oct 24, 2007 9:12 pm

I would have brought the car from Washington.  I drove to the corners to learn the lines, watched videos of Joe left foot braking through corners, and road with several fine drivers.  It pained me not being able to actually put the knowledge to use.

shinoo

Post by shinoo » Wed Oct 24, 2007 11:19 pm

[quote="twebb"]
Finally, a number of you asked whether we could provide some basic suspension setup guidelines for your Atoms.  Absolutely.  In the next few days, I will put together a brief tutorial.  I will include setup guidelines so that they are more enjoyable on the track
[/quote]

Tim, I am really looking forward to getting your recommendations.  Your tips benefited most of us.  Thank you for helping us out.  Studying your lines bought me 2 more seconds!

Additional improvements I would suggest include, handouts for the seminars.  There were several attendees who don't frequent forums  so handouts would be great for them.

wisp

Post by wisp » Thu Oct 25, 2007 1:52 am

[quote="Driver"]
Heck we even on the evening news as they filmed John Lloyd and myself arriving at Sonic and pulling in. :tu:
[/quote]

Really? Which channel?

silver

Post by silver » Thu Oct 25, 2007 1:55 am

It was the local news I didn't catch the channel number however, I belive Randy is going to try to get the tape to work it into the DVD

twebb

Post by twebb » Thu Oct 25, 2007 2:23 am

This doen't really fit the thread, but here goes anyway.

A number of you asked what i drive at the track.  I don't own an Atom...maybe someday.  In the meantime I race a Formula Ford.  Attached is a photo from my last race at Hallett.  This was taken on the front straight.

Notice that the weather was very much like what you would expect if you lived in the UK, rain, rain, and more rain.

I guess I had an itch.

Cheers.

Tim
Attachments
Resized IMG_0768.jpg
Resized IMG_0768.jpg (104.98 KiB) Viewed 429 times

twebb

Post by twebb » Thu Oct 25, 2007 2:24 am

By the way...thanks to Jim Sharp for the photos.

Jim,  the CD was just great.  Thank you very much.

Tim

Gage

Post by Gage » Thu Oct 25, 2007 3:15 am

[quote="twebb"]
This doen't really fit the thread, but here goes anyway.
A number of you asked what i drive at the track.  I don't own an Atom...maybe someday.  In the meantime I race a Formula Ford.  Attached is a photo from my last race at Hallett.  This was taken on the front straight.
Tim
[/quote]

Thanks for showing us you in the car in action Tim.  I really wanted to see it.

benyeats

Post by benyeats » Thu Oct 25, 2007 3:59 am

[quote="silver"]
It was the local news I didn't catch the channel number however, I belive Randy is going to try to get the tape to work it into the DVD
[/quote]

Channel 2 iirc

wisp

Post by wisp » Fri Oct 26, 2007 1:25 am

[quote="benyeats"]
[quote="silver"]
[/quote]

Channel 2 iirc
[/quote]

I see that there is a post about the event in the FOX23 Forum.

http://community.fox23.com/forums/thread/2074627.aspx

There are even a few photos.

silver

Post by silver » Fri Oct 26, 2007 5:27 am

I guess any publicity is good publicity even if it's horribly inaccurate information...eh it's all good.

Gage

Post by Gage » Fri Oct 26, 2007 1:39 pm

$30,000!    I wish!  The base model actually was advertised at 36k quite some time ago.  :laugh:

rfmarz@frontiernet

Post by rfmarz@frontiernet » Fri Oct 26, 2007 5:38 pm

I think he meant 30,000 pounds. ::)

CalScot

Post by CalScot » Fri Oct 26, 2007 7:24 pm

I should have had all Atom mods done weeks before and not the day I left.
I should have left a day or more earlier and took my time, as opposed to driving a 40' Rv with a 20' trailer over 100MPH through new Mexico in 30MPH cross winds just to make it in time.
I should have checked the RV out before I left and not had to run the whole trip running the engine with the genenerator because of a bust alternator.
I should have bought more wine and less beer.
I should have brought more clean socks.
I should have brought a mobile GPS system because Okies dont' get a Scottish accent asking for directions. (Neither do Californians so that's normal I suppose)
I should have made a point to introduce myself to more people as I missed meeting several and I am kicking myself for it.
I should have drunk less in the local bar, although there not much chance of that one.
I should have brought my wife to keep me in line and make sure I had the clean socks.
I should have bought the signed hood at the auction, but completely missed the auction due to fuel tank repair stuff.
I should have brought less stuff overall. I am still unpacking., and recovering.

At the next Fest I would like to have some intensive HPDE stuff that really gets into pushing the driver and the Atom to the limit.
Maybe have some tuning experts analyze the Honda and Ecotecs and discuss current ways to increase performance with Turbo's, S/C's, engine and suspension mods and so forth. This might be done through sponsoring vendors.
Bring the Fest a month forward to early September for a little warmer weather maybe? (Or is that Tornado/storm time?)

Driver

Post by Driver » Fri Oct 26, 2007 8:50 pm

[quote="CalScot"]
Bring the Fest a month forward to early September for a little warmer weather maybe? (Or is that Tornado/storm time?)[/quote]

First Week of Oct is usually fine (although this year I think it rained during that week). Late Sept can be quite scorching. I wondered out loud several times when this came up at AtomFest... Can a AtomFest be as successfull as this one if it's held annually? Or would support (and attendance) slack off? Would the UK contingent come again, would Simon shut down the factory and come over on a annual basis? Or is the "magic" of such a event left to occur every few years and leave smaller molecules to occur from time to time?

I've seen these types of events occur with larger clubs and after 2-3 of them one year after another, especially if they are in the same place, participation dwindles. I'd rather wait a year or two in between if it means one resounding event after another. Don't get me wrong, I'll be there. Just would hate for something to be "less" than it could otherwise be. Besides I think Randy needs a rest before he attempts this again... :) Would love to be planning a European trip in about 2 years. HINT!  ;)

DarthChicken

Post by DarthChicken » Fri Oct 26, 2007 9:01 pm

Thats why you have atomfest next year in England, and the next in America... and you just keep switching it up  ;D