Atomfest convoy from the West Coast?

This is where Ariel.Club events specific to the US/Canada should be posted to
1965Cobra427

Re: Atomfest convoy from the West Coast?

Post by 1965Cobra427 » Fri Jun 26, 2009 1:22 am

[quote="CalScot"]
Coming back is a bit harder so the key is to take it easy on the way back and find some interesting side jaunts to keep it fresh and interesting.
[/quote]

Don;t forget this possibility - http://forum.atomclub.com/index.php/topic,9086.0.html

maverick1

Post by maverick1 » Fri Jun 26, 2009 7:25 pm

[quote="AtomGirl"]
Sounds like fun! I'm definitely interested,a travelling party across the states with CalScot is bound to provide hours of entertainment but I have 2 concerns...

I already have 2K miles on my atom so driving to Hallet is going to finish me off as far as the 6K mileage limit/year I don't want to have to have the poor thing sit in my garage for the rest of the year unused. What did people do last time with Ralley insurance?
[/quote]
AtomGirl, regarding the mileage issue. You can call Sean at Ralley insurance and pay for a long distance mileage trip extension to your current policy. I did that last time for Atomfest.

Caroline

Post by Caroline » Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:28 pm

That's good to know thanks.

DarthChicken

Post by DarthChicken » Sat Jun 27, 2009 3:47 am

The thing about highway 40, is the views.  Sure, there are some really dull boring areas (Texas), but Arizona and New Mexico are beautiful.  Take a side trip to the grand canyon.  Enjoy the miles, breath the fresh air.  Take 2 or 3 days to make the trip if you can, so you're not rushed.  When Bolus and I did it, we took 4 days to get out there... and only 2 from Bull City Arizona to Tulsa.  Probably a mistake, 3 would have been more relaxing.  We also had all of our gear stacked in the cars, which has a psychological effect.  I did the return trip in 3 days... But at that point, I just wanted to get home, because I'd lost my road buddy.

If you're doing it as a group, its awesome.  Having travelled with Calscot when we did Reno, there's nothing better.  Not driving out there, especially with a support group available, IMO would be a travesty.  I just wish I was coming with.

Driver

Post by Driver » Sat Jun 27, 2009 11:09 am

[quote="DarthChicken"]
The thing about highway 40, is the views.  Sure, there are some really dull boring areas (Texas), but Arizona and New Mexico are beautiful. .[/quote]

We (at least I) don't claim the Panhandle Area of Texas) Not much to see there I guess. You evidently didn't drive parts of South or even East Texas. The  Hill Country area (Fredericksburg/Kerrville) of Texas has some really nice roads and scenery that just scream for Atoms to travel through it. Of course you have to drive 7 hrs INTO the State (West of San Antonio and Austin) to reach it... ;) Don't let one sliver of Texas make you think it's all like that.

[quote="DarthChicken"]
If you're doing it as a group, its awesome.  Having travelled with Calscot when we did Reno, there's nothing better.  Not driving out there, especially with a support group available, IMO would be a travesty.  I just wish I was coming with.[/quote]

Traveling along with CalScot the fun just kind of starts the minute you pull up.  :tu: Or at least you know it's going to be epic! I think it's impossible for it to be less than fun in the CalScott Vortex of All things Atom Experience. And being the middle of the week, travel time there and back (if you use the weekends) should be fairly easy going without the mad dash across the desert in a 40 foot RV with the accelerator pedal buried, kegs bouncing around in the back... Now who does that remind me of? hmm...   ;D