Transmission help

bolus

Re: Transmission help

Post by bolus » Fri Aug 21, 2009 3:23 am

Silver and I just like pointing  out our crappy HF tools because guys like Driver have spent enough money on tools that they could have bought an Atom by now.  I'm all for good quality but I I dont think is it worth spending 20 times as much for a tool I'll use once

CalScot

Post by CalScot » Fri Aug 21, 2009 3:25 am

I think he lied. No way those shitty HF tools would have held up long enough to take out a seat :o.
Must have been Craftsmen, or Snap-on that he's scared to admit.

Oh..and being Scottish...I have no common sense..only varying degrees of sobriety..of which I am not doing too well right now :laugh:

Fran Hall

Post by Fran Hall » Fri Aug 21, 2009 3:27 am

Dont worry I am from the I.O.M........not too far away and I still dont like warm beer but the smoked kippers are the best.... :drool:

CalScot

Post by CalScot » Fri Aug 21, 2009 3:31 am

[quote="Fran Hall"]
Dont worry I am from the I.O.M........not too far away and I still dont like warm beer but the smoked kippers are the best.... :drool:
[/quote]

Ah..memories of the TT..... a hangover....the sound of bikes engines screaming past the tent at 7:am, major headache and a beer breakfast. I do miss the I.O.M. Many good times :)

Fran Hall

Post by Fran Hall » Fri Aug 21, 2009 3:34 am

There is some great coverage on HDtheatre TV on Sunday nights of this years TT....131mph...new lap record....bloody hell ....

WorkingOnIt

Post by WorkingOnIt » Fri Aug 21, 2009 3:36 am

[quote="Fran Hall"]
How the hell is he supposed to get the seats in his tool box in the first place??? :angel:
[/quote]

"One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas...."  Image

Terry Kennedy

Post by Terry Kennedy » Fri Aug 21, 2009 4:05 am

[quote="bolus"]
Silver and I just like pointing  out our crappy HF tools because guys like Driver have spent enough money on tools that they could have bought an Atom by now.  I'm all for good quality but I I dont think is it worth spending 20 times as much for a tool I'll use once [/quote]

I'm not a tool snob - almost all of my tools are Home Depot / Lowe's house brands, and the rest are various brands because they weren't available at those two stores. Not that the auto parts places around here are any use - none of them even knew what crowfoot wrenches are.

There's no Harbor Fright store around here, which is good - I'd go there as a last resort and get incredibly steamed when their crap tools failed during the first use. My friend Amanda made the mistake of buying one of their laser-guided jigsaws. The beam was nowhere near where the saw would cut, and the first thing the saw did was cut through its own shoe with its blade. I was browsing the GM Service DVD the other day and saw a note about Harbor Freight fuses causing fires - turns out that Harbor Freight eventually recalled 35.4 million fuses. According to this article, "Harbor Freight Tools had sought to limit public disclosure of the fuse recall by marking its four page letter to NHTSA as a confidential communication. The auto parts company asked the safety regulators to limit disclosure of the defect report from disclosure under the Freedom of Information Act. If successful, this tactic would have prevented consumers from knowing they had potentially hazardous fuses in their cars."

If it is a tool where a failure could result in serious injury or death, I won't mess around - my jack and stands are from AC Hydraulic (no longer available in the US because nobody is willing to pay for them), my shop press is from Greg Smith, and so forth. One of the things I miss about the Midwest was Blaine's Farm & Fleet - they had every kind of tool imaginable because it was where working farmers went for tools. Major brands (the best retail selection of Milton air fittings I've ever seen) at very good prices. When I needed the 30mm (or was it 32?) impact socket for the Atom driveshaft nuts, it was in stock along with every other size. It can be kind of surreal if you're not expecting it, though - the "impulse buy" racks at the checkout registers have the usual M&M's, etc. but also have sheep de-wormer treatment.

And if I think something is of insufficient quality, and there isn't a crisis where I need it right now I won't buy it - no matter who's name is on it. As an example, I wouldn't buy the Griot's Garage retractable extension cord. Instead, I bought a Reelcraft one. 3.5x the price, but it will never break or need service. And in the dead of winter the Reelcraft cord is still nice and flexible, while the yellow cord on the Griot's Garage one will likely be completely rigid.

Lane

Post by Lane » Fri Aug 21, 2009 4:06 am

[quote="Fran Hall"]
But if it were not for the Harbor frieght tools he would not have been able to take the seats out in the first place...and the tools would already have been removed from his toolbox....thats just good ole' English common sense surely.. :doh:..who in their right mind would leave seats in a toolbox for 35 years ...now come on !!!....
[/quote]

That must be a big toolbox to be able to seat 2.  Is that from Harbor Freight also?
Image 300hp Ecotec Atom that is driven.  Visit my website.

CalScot

Post by CalScot » Fri Aug 21, 2009 4:12 am

I will admit I do have a few things from HF..but it's very limited. Most of the stuff they sell is just crap, pure and simple.
When your as bad a driver and mechanic as I am you need stuff that can last and take an engine out at least 8 times a year. I wear that HF crap out in a few weeks :laugh:

positron

Post by positron » Fri Aug 21, 2009 4:13 am

What about fluid level in the clutch master cylinder reservoir, causing it not to fully stroke?
Last edited by positron on Fri Aug 21, 2009 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bolus

Post by bolus » Fri Aug 21, 2009 5:45 am

Do you tool snobs wear top hats when you work on you cars :)

I got the shifter box adjusted so that 2nd and 3rd are on on the rest position and less crunching now with a quick run around the block.  I'll need to do more testing but it sounds like just a loud shift now. 

I tried to put in the red seats are the are 1" narrower than the recaros so I'd need a shim or some sort to get them to fit.   Seeing them in the car they did look out of place without the red panels  so they are back to being used as XBOX 360 gaming chairs in the living room. 

Those seats are sure a pain in the ass to get back in.

Thanks for the help from the tranny experts

Heywood-Yablowme

Post by Heywood-Yablowme » Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:13 am

My tools are my life. If all I did was use them for the occasional job,I guess anything that resembled a wrench would do.  I use my tools every day. Every day for tha last 35 years. I have many that old.
Over the years,I have found the overall quality,finish and design of tools made specifically for the professional mechanic are well worth the additional expense. Snap-On,Mac,Matco,Craftman,Par-X,and even Gearwrench are quality.
I cannot tolerate tools that break or that strip components and will not subject my customers or my own vehicles to potential tool abuse.

About those seats Bolus...

benyeats

Post by benyeats » Fri Aug 21, 2009 8:34 pm

[quote="Fran Hall"]
Bolus,

I reckon if YOU bought a Nemesis they would let you chat about it... ;D...its just me that cant... :-*
[/quote]

I think you can chat about it on the relevant thread just not promote / solicit orders.  Not exactly clear but it is more valuable for the aaoc to keep the factory onside than others......

Ben

Fran Hall

Post by Fran Hall » Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:50 pm

I dont think so...
I have been asked questions about the "N" car and answered them but it has been made abundantly clear that the "N" is not really welcome ...even in a thread that is titled "Atom competitor"...
but thats life I suppose...
Maybe I should just call it an XBOW-WOW and have a thread thats 87 pages long on an AAOC forum...  :o

Not trying to start a flame war just wondering where the line is drawn...
Last edited by Fran Hall on Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Driver

Post by Driver » Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:18 pm

Fran, To me, the line is drawn when it comes to promotion (which means sales). Technical discussion, ohhing and aweing over the features, etc... should be allowed just as the XBow discussion was allowed. The rub is how you phrase your legitimate responses as you are the manufacturer. Gage and other people are not held to the same standard as he is a individual with nothing to gain. I think there is room for everyone to get along as long as whoever posts here remembers what Forum they are on.

In fact I want to hear more about what Gage is currently messing with and what he thinks of it. He's been quiet of late.