anyone have close-ups of the upgraded brammo intercooler

silver

anyone have close-ups of the upgraded brammo intercooler

Post by silver » Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:25 pm

I have a spare radiator/ fan and it looks way to big to shoe-horn into the original intercooler spot...but someone here said they used the same one and just changed the mounting tabs.

Can someone please confirm for me, perhaps someone that has that bigger intercooler take some measurements, thanks.

bolus

Re: anyone have close-ups of the upgraded brammo intercooler

Post by bolus » Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:39 pm

You need to do what Darth did and put a whole new intercooler radiator in front of the main coolant radiator.  It is pointed forward now and helps his cooling a lot.  Try and get him to post some pics.  It did involve cutting a nose cone a little around the intake ports. 

silver

Post by silver » Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:45 pm

Yep that's on the list..........My current plan involves getting that radiator installed up front....my nose cone has been broken hacked put back together so a little more cutting is no problem..........and a new pump that they use for the ford lightening.............My pump as it is, doesn't generate enough flow to push the water up more then 2 inches out my bleed line I installed so I think it's going to be a combo pump / intercooler install.

this was just a question in the meantime as I have a $600 radiator plus extra fan sitting around, I was curious if it was really the same one or if Brammo actually had a smaller one built for the project.

bolus

Post by bolus » Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:52 pm

do you just have 2 of the regular coolant radiators?  I can measure my mount points for the intercooler radiator when I get home since I dont have anything there now.  would that help?

If I remember correctly, they put that big radiator in place of the intercooler radiator when they were dyno testing our cars and got no difference.

DarthChicken

Post by DarthChicken » Wed Aug 05, 2009 5:11 pm

sell your second radiator silver, and buy a kart radiator.

[img width=800 height=450]http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh12 ... C00237.jpg[/img]

[img width=800 height=450]http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh12 ... C00238.jpg[/img]

silver

Post by silver » Wed Aug 05, 2009 5:14 pm

[quote="bolus"]
do you just have 2 of the regular coolant radiators?  I can measure my mount points for the intercooler radiator when I get home since I dont have anything there now.  would that help?

If I remember correctly, they put that big radiator in place of the intercooler radiator when they were dyno testing our cars and got no difference.
[/quote]

I think they got no difference cuz they didn't prime the pump therefore they had no flow which would explain why there attempts to solve the problem failed.

Yes I have two identical radiators.

Darth, did you remove your oil cooler?  It would be nice to get that thing out of there if it's worthless.

Darth, what kinds of materials do I need to get in addition to the radiator (purchasing NOW) to get it to fit, hoses, knuckles, mounting materials...thanks

silver

Post by silver » Wed Aug 05, 2009 5:17 pm

p.s. that fluidyne has been pulled from every website except

http://www.midcoastperformance.com/inde ... on=product

as far as I could tell on the internet....so get them while they are hot I guess...........I'm hoping this website actually has them and it's not a mistake.

bolus

Post by bolus » Wed Aug 05, 2009 6:32 pm

[quote="silver"]
[quote="bolus"]

[/quote]

I think they got no difference cuz they didn't prime the pump therefore they had no flow which would explain why there attempts to solve the problem failed.

Yes I have two identical radiators.

Darth, did you remove your oil cooler?  It would be nice to get that thing out of there if it's worthless.

Darth, what kinds of materials do I need to get in addition to the radiator (purchasing NOW) to get it to fit, hoses, knuckles, mounting materials...thanks
[/quote]

My pump was working fine.  Because I could see the high flow of coolant at the fill tube.  Yeah I got 190F AIT2 on the track but would see that come down quickly when not in boost.  The pump priming issue you have is probably not universal. 

silver

Post by silver » Wed Aug 05, 2009 6:49 pm

it is totally universal IF you ever drain the system or if it gets so hot that it boils over and sucks water back in the system.....

If you never boil over and it's primed from the factory then no problem.

However, when brammo ...shall I say IF brammo had to drain even 1 ounce of fluid to remove the oil cooler and install the intercooler along with any other mods....just pouring more coolant in the tube at the filler neck won't help at all if a bubble collects at the inlet to the pump.

Additionally the fill tube is not in the line of flow so being able to see "flow" through that tube to me is a little strange...I'm not saying you didn't see it........but for those who are reading this ..........if you don't see flow in that filler neck..........that doesn't mean you don't have flow.

silver

Post by silver » Wed Aug 05, 2009 6:52 pm

also in doing a lot of testing with this pump........if it gets some air bubbles in it, the small kind, you can feel the suction get greatly reduced, if you get a bubble that's the entire diameter of the tube.......everything stops.............again this is only really going to happen if you do something to introduce air into the system like I DID, when I drained it, and when I added my overflow bottle.          WHOOPS.

which is why I put the bleed line in.......but the pump doesn't have the umph to make it work, I have to help it along with a garden hose.

DarthChicken

Post by DarthChicken » Wed Aug 05, 2009 7:39 pm

Pull the oil cooler out.  Take the 90 degree elbows off of that, and put them on the new aftercooler radiator.  Buy more 3/4" hose, and some hose clamps, and run that from the metal aftercooler piping to your new aftercooler.

I drilled holes in my radiator to mount this.  If you look at the front of your radiator, you'll see a 3/8" or so metal lip.  Thats what I drilled into. 

On your aftercooler, drill 4 mounting holes (one on each tab obviously).  Take a couple lengths of aluminum bar (from like ace hardware or something) and mount it to the aftercooler.  Just two pieces, one for the top, one for the bottom.  yes, that blocks the airflow across a small section of the back of the aftercooler.  When you bolt the bars onto the aftercooler, make sure you find bolts with very shallow heads, because thats going to be very close to your main radiator.  And put the bolts in front to back obviously.

Drill a hole in each end of the metal bars now.  The diameter of a rivet.  Hold the aftercooler assembly with the bars attached, up to your radiator.  Mark and drill holes on the metal lip (put some sort of backing behind the metal lip, so when the drill breaks through it doesn't puncture your radiator), again same diameter as a rivet.  Then rivet the assembly to the radiator.  Use short rivets, too long and they'll end up in your radiator fins, or worse the tubes themsleves. 

Run the hoses now.  You will probably need a couple 90 degree elbows to make it all fit, and still be able to get the nose cone on.

Route the hoses so that the aftercooler fills from the bottom up. 

Once all of that is done, run your breather line from the top of the aftercooler back to your resevoir.  Don't forget to put your .040" bleeder orifice in the line.

silver

Post by silver » Wed Aug 05, 2009 7:48 pm

ok cool...I got some metal mesh from ACE and a predrilled steel bar..I can go back and get aluminum but I thought it would not bend so I would need some thing bendy.

I have a vacuum line reducer thingy that reduces the flow to 1/8th inch....which is as small as I can get.....Positron said he braised his barb shut then drilled a hole in it to get .040" but I think the gist of it is you wan tot significantly reduce flow through that line.

I have ordered the pump and intercooler...I'll have to solder the lines on the pump as it costs $30 bux extra for a generic plug to fit it, or $90 bux for a plug and a mount......no thanks I'll make due.

I could have sworn that Positron said to run it flowing top down, are you guys running different or did I misunderstand.

Finally, did you reverse your flow like Positron did?  He has his ford lightening  pump running the opposite direction so it goes Pump - Intercooler - Engine,  Versus Pump - Engine - Intercooler

Ok seriously......finally.......how did you fill your system to try to avoid air bubbles, did you just fill from the radiator or from the fill tube?  the only way I can fill mine to make the pump get primed is to fill from the elbow just prior to the pump and push water through with a garden hose.............so I still don't know how I'm going to do this when I want to fill it with water wetter / water mix without introducing too many bubbles for the bleeder valve to get rid of.
Last edited by silver on Wed Aug 05, 2009 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

positron

Post by positron » Thu Aug 06, 2009 1:59 am

[quote="bolus"]
You need to do what Darth did and put a whole new intercooler radiator in front of the main coolant radiator.  It is pointed forward now and helps his cooling a lot.  Try and get him to post some pics.  It did involve cutting a nose cone a little around the intake ports. 
[/quote]

That looks oddly familiar...

DarthChicken

Post by DarthChicken » Thu Aug 06, 2009 2:11 am

[quote="silver"]
ok cool...I got some metal mesh from ACE and a predrilled steel bar..I can go back and get aluminum but I thought it would not bend so I would need some thing bendy.

I have a vacuum line reducer thingy that reduces the flow to 1/8th inch....which is as small as I can get.....Positron said he braised his barb shut then drilled a hole in it to get .040" but I think the gist of it is you wan tot significantly reduce flow through that line.

I have ordered the pump and intercooler...I'll have to solder the lines on the pump as it costs $30 bux extra for a generic plug to fit it, or $90 bux for a plug and a mount......no thanks I'll make due.

I could have sworn that Positron said to run it flowing top down, are you guys running different or did I misunderstand.

Finally, did you reverse your flow like Positron did?  He has his ford lightening  pump running the opposite direction so it goes Pump - Intercooler - Engine,  Versus Pump - Engine - Intercooler

Ok seriously......finally.......how did you fill your system to try to avoid air bubbles, did you just fill from the radiator or from the fill tube?  the only way I can fill mine to make the pump get primed is to fill from the elbow just prior to the pump and push water through with a garden hose.............so I still don't know how I'm going to do this when I want to fill it with water wetter / water mix without introducing too many bubbles for the bleeder valve to get rid of.
[/quote]

I'm flowing up... he may be flowing down, not sure.  I suggest emailing him 3 or 4 times an hour until you get the answer you want  :laugh:

To fill, I left the cap off of the radiator after filling it, filled the overflow, started the pump.... made a mess all over my floor, panicked... ran over and put cap on as its spewing everywhere, then kept filling overflow until the level stopped dropping.  At this point, you should see a little fluid dribbling into the reservoir from the bleed line if all is working properly.

Kempo!  My friend, where have you been?  Were you using this setup at one point? 

bolus

Post by bolus » Thu Aug 06, 2009 3:08 pm

I bet you could find an ATV or Motorcycle radiator narrow enough to fit in there

http://racewayparts.com/pwr5230yamahayz ... 1-1-1.aspx