Supplemental Oil Pressure sender

dingo

Supplemental Oil Pressure sender

Post by dingo » Wed Jul 08, 2009 4:18 pm

K20A 2 & (3 possibly) have the OEM oil pressure sender on the right hand side of the engine, facing rearward and beside the oil filter.
If you have a supplemental oil pressure sender as I do for the Spa microdash, your engine block might have a couple of senders hanging off a Tee  (see attached) 
It's been suggested that this creates a fair strain on the block at that port and that it would be wise to do something different here to reduce the mass of the stuff hanging out of the port.
If you have no secondary oil pressure sender, then you're alright.  Otherwise, read on.  Terry K this might mean you, as I know you have the Spa Microdash.
Attachments
oilpressureweb.jpg

dingo

Re: Supplemental Oil Pressure sender

Post by dingo » Wed Jul 08, 2009 4:22 pm

http://www.theoldone.com/articles/oilpressure/

Refer to the hand drawn picture.

Then here for the braided line solution

http://www.xenocron.com/remote-oil-pres ... p-329.html

I notice I have not made the case as to why. 
If the port were to fail, high pressure oil would spray everywhere such as onto exhaust and wheels tyres brakes. 
Catastrophic loss of oil pressure results in bad things happening in quick succession. 
If the Tee is brass (which many are) it would be heavier and an even more likely candidate for failure.
Last edited by dingo on Wed Jul 08, 2009 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Terry Kennedy

Post by Terry Kennedy » Wed Jul 08, 2009 7:14 pm

[quote="dingo"]
K20A 2 & (3 possibly) have the OEM oil pressure sender on the right hand side of the engine, facing rearward and beside the oil filter.
If you have no secondary oil pressure sender, then you're alright.  Otherwise, read on.  Terry K this might mean you, as I know you have the Spa Microdash.
[/quote]

I have an Ecotec. On the Ecotec, there are 4 hex plugs (one for each cylinder) near the bottom of the block casting. One comes out and is replaced with the Masterlube line if you have that option. On my Atom, another is out for the oil pressure sensor.

dp35

Post by dp35 » Wed Jul 08, 2009 8:52 pm

I found this handy adapter for the Honda K20's oil pressure port:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ATM-2269?part=ATM-2269

That adapter will convert the block's odd British pipe thread to a more common NPT pipe thread.  From there its best to go to a steel braided line leading to a T mounted elsewhere. 

I'm considering installing an Accusump type system.  Not sure yet if that should be installed in the oil pressure port or somewhere else.

Monza

Post by Monza » Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:47 pm

why don't simply add a sandwich plate between block and oil filter on which you can connect what you want ? you can find them on ebay.
I have done it for my oil temp and oil pressure to give info to my SPA separate small dash.
Jean-Pascal
Atom 3.5 310 Honda LHD

dingo

Post by dingo » Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:43 pm

Yes sandwich plate under oil filter is certainly an alternative.
Attachments
Oil-SW02-4.jpg
Last edited by dingo on Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.