Brammo Atom coolant fill shortcut

Terry Kennedy

Brammo Atom coolant fill shortcut

Post by Terry Kennedy » Tue Jul 07, 2009 2:04 am

If you've ever changed your engine coolant, you know what a tedious task it can be. Start engine / Stop engine / Squeeze hose / Repeat...

I figured out an inexpensive shortcut with parts you can get from the local Lowe's / Home Depot / Menard's / etc.

In addition to all the regular tools, you will need:
  • 1/8" x 1-1/2" (or longer) brass pipe nipple
  • 4 feet of clear plastic tubing that will fit over the end of the pipe nipple
  • a battery-operated inflation pump that also has a suction port (I used a Coleman # 2000000834)
Stick one end of the clear tubing over one end of the brass pipe nipple. Stick the other end of the tubing onto the suction (deflation) port of the pump.

After draining the old coolant and removing the radiator top plug, carefully thread the pipe nipple with attached tubing into the hole. It doesn't have to be very tight - just a turn or two to hold it in place should suffice. Fill the coolant expansion tank over the engine with appropriate coolant. While holding the pump above the height of the coolant expansion tank, turn the pump on. It will draw air out of the system and the coolant level in the expansion tank will fall. Try to keep at least some coolant in the expansion tank at all times - you don't want to draw any more air into the system. It might be useful to have a friend assist with this step. Repeat until pure coolant (not mostly air with coolant spraying around in it) appears in the tube between the pipe nipple and the pump. Do not let the fluid level in the tube reach the pump. At that point, bend the tube over itself to seal it and disconnect the pump. Now, pull the tubing off the pipe nipple and in the same motion, put your finger over the end of the pipe nipple (if you don't do this you'll have a gusher and you'll probably need to start over). Now, rapidly remove the pipe nipple and re-install the radiator plug. I wrap the plug with Teflon plumbing tape before re-installing to make it easier to remove in the future.

At this point you will probably find that the system is mostly filled, and that coolant will circulate in the system and the radiator will heat up. Proceed with the rest of the fill procedure as outlined in the Brammo manual.

Important Note: The reason for keeping the pump above the height of the coolant expansion tank is so that coolant doesn't siphon into the pump. If coolant (or any other fluid) gets into the pump, it will likely be ruined.

silver

Re: Brammo Atom coolant fill shortcut

Post by silver » Tue Jul 07, 2009 2:41 am

this thread totally needs a video. :pop:

positron

Post by positron » Tue Jul 07, 2009 3:03 am

.. and a way to get the top rad plug out.. not sure why they used dissimilar metals and 600 ft/lbs of torque..

Terry Kennedy

Post by Terry Kennedy » Tue Jul 07, 2009 3:07 am

[quote="Positron"]
.. and a way to get the top rad plug out.. not sure why they used dissimilar metals and 600 ft/lbs of torque..[/quote]

Mine has never given me any trouble at all. Of course, it gets loosened or removed at 2500 miles and every 5000 miles thereafter. And I've always used Teflon tape on the threads.

I'll post some still pics of the hose setup next weekend.

McFred

Post by McFred » Mon Jul 20, 2009 9:19 pm

I have a brass plug in the top of my radiator.  I haven't needed to remove it yet, but I tried to turn it with an allen wrench just to check, and it won't budge.  I'll likely drill and tap through it eventually, and plug the hole with a stainless cap screw.

bolus

Post by bolus » Mon Jul 20, 2009 9:26 pm

I bent an allen wrench trying to get it out and left it to Tom to do.  I believe he replaced mine

silver

Post by silver » Mon Jul 20, 2009 9:54 pm

[quote="McFred"]
I have a brass plug in the top of my radiator.  I haven't needed to remove it yet, but I tried to turn it with an allen wrench just to check, and it won't budge.  I'll likely drill and tap through it eventually, and plug the hole with a stainless cap screw.
[/quote]

how would you not get metal shavings in the radiator?  just curious.

McFred

Post by McFred » Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:13 pm

[quote="silver"]
[quote="McFred"]
[/quote]

[/quote]

I don't know.  I guess a few shavings are better than a bunch of air?  I don't think they'd cause much of a problem...

silver

Post by silver » Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:16 pm

[quote="McFred"]
[quote="silver"]
[quote="McFred"]
[/quote]

[/quote]

I don't know.  I guess a few shavings are better than a bunch of air?  I don't think they'd cause much of a problem...
[/quote]

ok so are you having a problem with your water temps getting too hot?  just curious?

Terry Kennedy

Post by Terry Kennedy » Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:09 am

[quote="Terry Kennedy"]
I'll post some still pics of the hose setup next weekend.
[/quote]

I just realized I still owe you the pictures:

The whole setup:

Close-up of the fitting for the radiator:

I've never had a problem with the radiator plug as I've removed it frequently - it was loosened on my initial trip back to check for bubbles, and then I changed the "mystery coolant" that Brammo used early on for Dex-cool when I upgraded the intake and coolant reservoir. Next was when the engine was out at Brammo from the rod end problem. Next, when a coolant line blew at AtomFest 2007. And lastly, I just changed the coolant.

That's 4 changes in 3 years. I guess that's enough to keep the plug from seizing. As I mentioned above, I do use Teflon tape on the threads each time I re-install it.

I'd probably ask Tom what to do if mine did seize - I'd be a bit leery of the usual trick of heating the surrounding metal with a torch, given that it is aluminum.

FourFather

Post by FourFather » Tue Jul 21, 2009 3:09 am

About removing that stubborn pipe plug in the top of the radiator--

I had all but given up on getting it out without drilling, then as a last resort, I put my electric impact wrench on it, at its lowest-torque setting, and the impact or shock broke it loose and it unscrewed just fine. I replaced the original plug with a teflon tape-wrapped one and it comes out easily now.