Dyno results for my 205HP Ecotec

positron

Re: Dyno results for my 205HP Ecotec

Post by positron » Wed Jul 01, 2009 4:45 am

No, I didn't think WI was a viable solution for my application. With the percentage of full throttle to time ratio, I'd have to pull a water trailer around track..

This little motor is capable to make 300Hp (at the wheels), this little blower is not. Now that big ass blower in the month's HotRod is! Too bad there is no room..  :o
Last edited by positron on Wed Jul 01, 2009 4:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Radowick

Post by Radowick » Tue Oct 20, 2009 4:15 pm

I need to verify the exact size pulley on my Brammo 300 "upgraded". Brammo put it in so I am not familiar with it.

What is the original size pulley dia. for the 300? Mine measured 2.970 dia.
What is the "upgrade" pulley dia. suppose to be? Mine measures approx. 3.02 dia. I couldn't fit a caliper in the tight space to get a real accurate measurement, so I measured its' circumference with a sewing measuring tape, and then divided that by 3.1416. If it is suppose to be the same as a GM Cobalt SS stage 3 pulley of 76mm or 2.992 inches, I am going to guess that I mis-measured slightly.
What a small differance.

Any special trick to backing off the belt tensioner so I can remove the belt to measure the pulley's dia.? Did it tonight with no problem. Just positioned wrench so the frame didn't limit the wrench's swing. I needed every bit of slack to get the belt off.
Last edited by Radowick on Thu Oct 22, 2009 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Radowick

Post by Radowick » Thu Oct 22, 2009 12:47 am

I notice tonight while verifying what color my fuel injectors are, that one of them has the clip hanging loose. What kind of problem could it possibly cause?
Last edited by Radowick on Thu Oct 22, 2009 12:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

positron

Post by positron » Thu Oct 22, 2009 3:33 am

The locking clip for the electrical connector or connector itself?

Clip problematic as it locks connector, future failure..

Connector problematic as injector not firing, current failure..

Radowick

Post by Radowick » Thu Oct 22, 2009 10:42 am

The space is very confined under the fuel rail, so even with a tiny dental mirror, seeing it very hard. I appears to be the bare metal band that I can see which is suppose to lock the injector to the fuel rail port. But now that it is trapped between the bolted in fuel rail and the port in the block, is there any way it can possibly come out?

DarthChicken

Post by DarthChicken » Thu Oct 22, 2009 1:17 pm

its not a matter of coming out, as much as moving around a bit, letting in/out air that wasn't measured.. causing that cylinder to run lean or rich.  It needs to be fixed  :wize:

silver

Post by silver » Thu Oct 22, 2009 3:04 pm

[quote="Spanky"]
I need to verify the exact size pulley on my Brammo 300 "upgraded". Brammo put it in so I am not familiar with it.

What is the original size pulley dia. for the 300? Mine measured 2.970 dia.
What is the "upgrade" pulley dia. suppose to be? Mine measures approx. 3.02 dia. I couldn't fit a caliper in the tight space to get a real accurate measurement, so I measured its' circumference with a sewing measuring tape, and then divided that by 3.1416. If it is suppose to be the same as a GM Cobalt SS stage 3 pulley of 76mm or 2.992 inches, I am going to guess that I mis-measured slightly.
What a small differance.

Any special trick to backing off the belt tensioner so I can remove the belt to measure the pulley's dia.? Did it tonight with no problem. Just positioned wrench so the frame didn't limit the wrench's swing. I needed every bit of slack to get the belt off.

Brammo turned all their own pulley's so they are probably not going to be exactly the same as off the shelf GM stage 2 or 3 parts.

For your fuel injectors, I still have my original 300 injectors/harness that I'm not using if you can use something off the harness to repair your parts it's all yours.

[/quote]

Radowick

Post by Radowick » Thu Oct 22, 2009 4:40 pm

[quote="silver"]
Brammo turned all their own pulley's so they are probably not going to be exactly the same as off the shelf GM stage 2 or 3 parts.

For your fuel injectors, I still have my original 300 injectors/harness that I'm not using if you can use something off the harness to repair your parts it's all yours.
[/quote]

Thanks, I will probably be replacing the locking clip for the injector regardless of whether it looks good or not. I can't imagine how it just popped off. Unless it was bent during install, or was not installed correctly.
Last edited by Radowick on Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Radowick

Post by Radowick » Sun Oct 25, 2009 12:24 am

After getting everything taken off & out of the way, I was able to get the fuel rail off. So I can once again be thankful for such great build quality put into my car.  :td:  :-[ I found that one for the injector retaining clips was rotated so it was not catching the captive tabs on the fuel rail. This also meant the injector was rotated out of position. And for a bonus performance, they either just left off one more clip entirely, or put it on also so it was not grabbing the tabs and this one fell off.
  I have never done this work before, but one look at it and it is real clear how it is suppose to go together. How come the factory had people that could not figure this out?  Did these guys actually put on their job applications that they could build cars?  Or is just two injectors the limit of their attention span?

Terry Kennedy

Post by Terry Kennedy » Sun Oct 25, 2009 1:16 am

[quote="Spanky"]
I have never done this work before, but one look at it and it is real clear how it is suppose to go together. How come the factory had people that could not figure this out?  Did these guys actually put on their job applications that they could build cars?  Or is just two injectors the limit of their attention span?
[/quote]

The more interesting question is if it was the Brammo factory or the GM factory ::)

Kiwicraig had a minor oil leak on his new Atom (one of the first few). Scottsdale Lotus looked at it and couldn't find it, so the car went back to Brammo. After taking the engine apart, Brammo determined that one of the GM-installed gaskets (already sealed up as part of the crate engines Brammo buys) was off-center and causing the leak. FourFather (Eddie) also had an oil leak, but I'm not sure if it was from a piece Brammo assembled or part of the crate engine.

This isn't to say that the Brammo guys were perfect, though. Masked Spaz got his car with the Masterlube not hooked up to the wiring, and there are similar stories from other folks.

Terry Kennedy

Post by Terry Kennedy » Sun Oct 25, 2009 1:24 am

[quote="Spanky"]
I have never done this work before, but one look at it and it is real clear how it is suppose to go together. How come the factory had people that could not figure this out?[/quote]

One other comment about car workmanship in general - a dedicated owner will usually do a more detailed job (though it will take a lot longer) than a car professional, particularly if that car professional is being reimbursed on a flat rate per type of repair by the car manufacturer.

As an example, my 2003 BMW had a recall early on to replace the General Module (one of the main computers) which is located behind the glove box. When I got the car back, the glove box door had an uneven panel gap and rattled. I wound up disassembling the glove box and discovered that they had just bashed in the mounting holes in the chassis that the back of the glove box pins into because they couldn't get it to line up properly. I got it straightened out and thought all was well. A couple years down the road, I needed to use the glovebox flashlight (BMWs have a rechargeable flashlight that sits in a socket in the glove box when not being used). The battery was dead because they'd screwed up the wiring to the charging base.

And it isn't limited to flat-rate warranty work. Before driving my BMW to Death Valley in 2004, I asked a different BMW dealer to give the cooling system a thorough going-over. After I got the car back home from the dealer, I inspected their work (having learned from my prior glove box experience). Among other things, they had left the electric radiator fan un-plugged which would have led to catastrophic overheating.

Radowick

Post by Radowick » Sun Oct 25, 2009 2:55 am

These injectors were installed in Oregon as a part of the 300 HP "upgrade".  It takes a whole lot more work just to get to the injectors than it does to swap them out. There is not a lot of time to be saved at that point by not taking the extra minute to double check the work, before putting it all back together.

As similar story;
I bought a new 2010 Acura TL AWD 6MT 4 weeks ago. I have not been able to drive it much. I  put just 400 miles on it. So this morning (Sat.) with the highways somewhat empty, I took it out for the first time over 60 mph......and the car started shaking. So I slowed down and took it straight to the dealer. I told them that it must have thrown a wheel weight. It turns out that both front wheels had twice as much wheel weights as required (4 oz. both).
  These are the optional 19" wheels with Michelin Pilot Sports S2 tires. Honda /Acura charged me big bucks for these, but used their factory rookie to "balance" them, and with no double checks. So much for good first impressions and "that legandary Honda quality".

Terry Kennedy

Post by Terry Kennedy » Sun Oct 25, 2009 3:01 am

[quote="Spanky"]
These injectors were installed in Oregon as a part of the 300 HP "upgrade".  It takes a whole lot more work just to get to the injectors than it does to swap them out. There is not a lot of time to be saved at that point by not taking the extra minute to double check the work, before putting it all back together.[/quote]

Ahhh. I didn't see your notes about a 300HP car a few posts above, and since the thread title was 205HP, I had assumed we were talking about the stock GM setup.

silver

Post by silver » Mon Oct 26, 2009 7:40 pm

[quote="Spanky"]
As similar story;
I bought a new 2010 Acura TL AWD 6MT 4 weeks ago. I have not been able to drive it much. I  put just 400 miles on it. So this morning (Sat.) with the highways somewhat empty, I took it out for the first time over 60 mph......and the car started shaking. So I slowed down and took it straight to the dealer. I told them that it must have thrown a wheel weight. It turns out that both front wheels had twice as much wheel weights as required (4 oz. both).
  These are the optional 19" wheels with Michelin Pilot Sports S2 tires. Honda /Acura charged me big bucks for these, but used their factory rookie to "balance" them, and with no double checks. So much for good first impressions and "that legandary Honda quality".
[/quote]

I hope you got a good deal on that car b/c the outside is not pretty in my opinion!

Radowick

Post by Radowick » Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:23 pm

Yes, the looks of the new grill are "get use to it" or "hate it". But it does look better in person than in photos. The back is very differant than any other sedan & I do like it. I do not like all the button inside. Great handling (for a 3900 lb. car) and very smooth tranny.