Dyno results for my 205HP Ecotec

RyanD

Dyno results for my 205HP Ecotec

Post by RyanD » Sat Jun 27, 2009 10:28 pm

I took my Atom to a local shop with a Mustang dyno.  The only chassis dynos that I have used in the past were Dynojets.  After seeing the procedure, I have no idea how accurate these numbers are.  At least I have a baseline if I make any modifications.

First, the operator used the settings for a 2005 Cobalt SS but changed the weight for the Atom.  That gave an unrealistically high number, so he changed the weight back to the Cobalt weight.   We did one pull in 4th gear and then one pull in 3rd gear.  The car was kept at 3000RPM in the gear to be used for the pull to calibrate the dyno.  Then the RPM was dropped to about 2200RPM to start the pull.

Uncorrected results
Pull in 4th gear: 179.8HP 184.5 ft-lbs
Pull in 3rd gear: 193.5HP 185.9 ft-lbs

The dyno suggested a correction factor of 1.20 which was supposedly based on temperature, air pressure, etc.  It was nearly 90 degrees at about 4000ft elevation.  I found an online correction factor calculator, and it gave about the same correction factor.

Corrected results
Pull in 4th gear: 217.7HP 222.1 ft-lbs
Pull in 3rd gear: 233.1HP 224.1 ft-lbs

I was expecting somewhere in the 180-190 range for corrected RWHP.  I'll try to post a scan of the curves soon.
Last edited by RyanD on Sat Jun 27, 2009 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RyanD

Re: Dyno results for my 205HP Ecotec

Post by RyanD » Sun Jun 28, 2009 4:37 pm

Here is the chart with the corrected numbers.
Attachments
Atomdyno.JPG
Atomdyno.JPG (121.29 KiB) Viewed 536 times

silver

Post by silver » Tue Jun 30, 2009 12:32 am

basically thus proving there's no damn difference between any of the ecotec atoms that were made....at least in stock form. LOL what a waste of money.

RyanD

Post by RyanD » Tue Jun 30, 2009 12:37 am

[quote="silver"]
basically thus proving there's no damn difference between any of the ecotec atoms that were made....at least in stock form. LOL what a waste of money.
[/quote]

I followed one of the "300HP" Atoms at Hallet at the first Atom Fest.  It just barely pulled away from me.  I'd say they're pretty much the same.  I'll use that $5000 I saved on a better blower package. :)

silver

Post by silver » Tue Jun 30, 2009 12:41 am

or a turbo!!!!!!!!!

positron

Post by positron » Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:16 am

[quote="silver"]
[/quote]

I really can't argue the money part but let's hook up at AF this year and do a few front straight rolling runs and find out.. ;D

I'm probably one of the few - chose not to do the "upgrade" versions left..

205 is probably a more realistic Hp rating where ours was 300 Hp on the moon or someplace else Hp.. or some metric factor of
300Hp=205*((1.31 +32)-.55)+$5,000.
Last edited by positron on Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

silver

Post by silver » Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:22 am

Bottom line that we have beaten down like a dead horse is the heat soak.....you eliminate that and you can produce more power and it will be steady power....but if you can't delete the heat soaking problems then your spinning your wheels

Heywood-Yablowme

Post by Heywood-Yablowme » Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:28 am

None of my "300" hp Atoms underwent the brammo "upgrade' either. In all honesty,the cars make plenty of useable power for me,and I have been more concerned with making them stick,stop and handle better.Speed is useless without control. Fun,but useless. ;D

positron

Post by positron » Tue Jun 30, 2009 2:08 pm

[quote="silver"]
Bottom line that we have beaten down like a dead horse is the heat soak.....you eliminate that and you can produce more power and it will be steady power....but if you can't delete the heat soaking problems then your spinning your wheels
[/quote]

We Kemo Sabe? "We" need to step up and buy the shifter Kart radiator and some data logging instrumentation..

silver

Post by silver » Tue Jun 30, 2009 2:14 pm

Posi, I have the aeroforce gauge now!!!!!!! I'm about to swap to the 2.8" pulley BECAUSE it's the one that Darth tuned his car with therefore it will make mine more similar to his......Once I get good records for my IAT2's with and without water......then I'll know how to tune my specific water injection system.......and once that's done, retune the ecu.......then new tires......then atom fest. :laugh:

Oh and obviuosly if the water injection ain't working the shifter kart radiator IS next on the list.

DarthChicken

Post by DarthChicken » Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:19 pm

After I got my aftercooler pump working correctly (ie the blades actually turning, I had a chunk of plastic stuck inside mine), my AIT2 temps are now 20 degrees over ambient temps.  And during a pull, they don't increase. 

Imagine how much power you'd make doing that.  Oh.. at 27% more airflow than with the supercharger.  :drool:

positron

Post by positron » Wed Jul 01, 2009 1:44 am

[quote="silver"]
Posi, I have the aeroforce gauge now!!!!!!! I'm about to swap to the 2.8" pulley BECAUSE it's the one that Darth tuned his car with therefore it will make mine more similar to his......Once I get good records for my IAT2's with and without water......then I'll know how to tune my specific water injection system.......and once that's done, retune the ecu.......then new tires......then atom fest. :laugh:

Oh and obviuosly if the water injection ain't working the shifter kart radiator IS next on the list.
[/quote]
Once you get it mounted post up some mounting pics. (In a new thread, of course)
//thread jack

why not tune what you've got first?

Someone *cough* (you) should commission a reputable tuner to brings his/her wares to AF..

//off

silver

Post by silver » Wed Jul 01, 2009 1:45 am

I don't want to tune it unless I know I'm keeping the IAT2s down at a reasonable level.....seems like there's no point in tuning a heatsoaked engine.

positron

Post by positron » Wed Jul 01, 2009 1:48 am

smaller pulley is compounding your problem.. IMHO your doing it bassakwards..

silver

Post by silver » Wed Jul 01, 2009 2:48 am

[quote="Positron"]
smaller pulley is compounding your problem.. IMHO your doing it bassakwards..
[/quote]

well I'm doing it b/c I checked with Darth first to see what his IAT2's were..................so I did my homework first......I completely agree that obviously smaller pulley will compound the problem.......IF WI isn't enough.............but you never tried WI did you?