Pulley swap....not supercharger

silver

Pulley swap....not supercharger

Post by silver » Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:13 pm

Has anyone swapped their pulley's on the ecotec atom?  I know that on some applications it frees up quite a bit of HP, but never heard one way or the other how well it might work on the atom..Would it be more or less effective b/c our car is supercharged?

alternator:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/COBALT-H ... enameZWD1V

Crank:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... %26otn%3D8

I know on regular cars the typical concern is they reallly need all the alternator has to offer for charging but our cars don't have all those accessories, so I'm trying to find out if any of you know of a downside to these changes?

Heywood-Yablowme

Re: Pulley swap....not supercharger

Post by Heywood-Yablowme » Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:22 pm

If you make your crank pulley smaller..you will lose power on a car that drives a supercharger as the blower will spin slower.

Swaping out the alternator pulley is insignificant in power gain..,about equal to rowing a boat with a spoon.

silver

Post by silver » Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:29 pm

[quote="Curator"]
If you make your crank pulley smaller..you will lose power on a car that drives a supercharger as the blower will spin slower.

Swaping out the alternator pulley is insignificant in power gain..,about equal to rowing a boat with a spoon.
[/quote]

ok......I believe they are the same size just a high % lighter, however, if removing 1 lb or 2lbs doesn't really matter to the system then I see your point.

Heywood-Yablowme

Post by Heywood-Yablowme » Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:34 pm

Nope.A few oz. lighter on a pulley that small is like pissing in the ocean

silver

Post by silver » Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:49 pm

i was on the cobalt ss site while I posted this and was reading through the 20 + pages of thread about these pulleys..........as you say, no data to support any improvement in power.

Heywood-Yablowme

Post by Heywood-Yablowme » Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:30 am

I once thought an electric supercharger would work. Maybe on an electric car..eh?  8)