Frame touch-up paint - revisited

Lane

Frame touch-up paint - revisited

Post by Lane » Fri May 29, 2009 7:53 pm

Unfortunately, I recently found out that it is nearly impossible for one person to remove the one-piece seat without the risk of smacking the frame tubes in some totally unexpected location.  Lesson learned.  But now I have a few small nicks in the powdercoat that are in a very visible location.  I swear that I felt physical bodily pain when it occurred as well.  :'(

A forum search shows posts with both a Valspar paint color code that matches the stock silver powdercoat well, along with a GM 1984-1986 paint color.  After making an attempt at ordering from the paint supplier mentioned in the Valspar post, their phone number seems to be disconnected and their website order form doesn't appear to function correctly.  Web searches on the Valspar color code turned up absolutely nothing, and the GM numbers meant nothing to my local GM dealer's body shop.  Dupli-color's paint numbering scheme looked like a similar format, but they had nothing that matched either :(

I ended up buing spray cans of the two silver metallic paints that Dupli-Color offers for 1984-1986 GM vehicles and tried them out on a normally-unseen portion of the frame - and was glad I did.

Bzzzzt.  No match.  Please try again.

I visited a local Keystone body/paint supply shop, where they stuck their measuring camera gizmo on the car and it came up with this.  Maybe someone else can benefit from it.

Too bad that what Keystone could provide was meant to be mixed and used in a spray gun only (with reducer, hardener, and all that).  No option existed to get the formulation in a spray can or touch-up bottle with a brush.  I'm sure I'll end up buying spray equipment at some time and learning to use it properly, but this isn't the time.  Only a week to go before I have a big event with the car (more on that later...) and I still have a lot of other stuff to do.

So at this point, I did what I probably should have done first - called Mark at TMI.  It was a pleasant surprise that they had paint in touch-up bottles for the standard silver powdercoat frame color on-hand.  So another lesson was learned - call TMI first before chasing geese.

Has anyone else touched up their frame?  If so, what did you use and where did you get it?  If you applied it to small nicks with a brush only - did the metallic component of the paint end up looking 'off' when applied with the brush, or was the result acceptable?
Image 300hp Ecotec Atom that is driven.  Visit my website.

silver

Re: Frame touch-up paint - revisited

Post by silver » Fri May 29, 2009 8:26 pm

did you see this thread from me a while ago

http://forum.atomclub.com/index.php/topic,8323.0.html

it cost me $100 bux and was done in 2 hours and it matches my custom colored frame 100% accurately.

Just take your car to a reputable paint and body shop and save yourself the hassle of trying to match it yourself.

Kempo

Post by Kempo » Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:31 pm

Here are the color codes given to me by Joe at Brammo. The silver is for the standard silver color.

silver valspar 3335324 GM12-9301 -- from 1984-1986
orange valspar 333A4632 base + clear
black fenders BASF diamond black d403
brackets and suspension duplicolor DA1603

bolus

Post by bolus » Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:49 pm

that's what is listed in the user manual
Attachments
paint_codes.JPG
paint_codes.JPG (77.31 KiB) Viewed 409 times

1965Cobra427

Post by 1965Cobra427 » Tue Jun 02, 2009 4:29 pm

I used the Valspar - custom mixed according to Brammo info and filled into aerosol cans since I had to respray the rollbar hoop -

[img width=800 height=600]http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h269/ ... 010022.jpg[/img]

Did that in mid 2007. Still looks good today

[img width=800 height=531]http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h269/ ... C_5163.jpg[/img]