Koni shock compression adjustment tool.

maverick1

Koni shock compression adjustment tool.

Post by maverick1 » Mon May 25, 2009 6:53 pm

I read up on the Koni shocks and to adjust the compression settings you need a Koni shock adjustment tool #1037.74.01.04
I don't recall getting this adjustment tool.
Do any of you who have the Koni shocks recall getting a compression adjustment tool?
http://www.koni-na.com/pdfcatalogs/OvalTrack.pdf
cheers

twebb

Re: Koni shock compression adjustment tool.

Post by twebb » Mon May 25, 2009 7:13 pm

Which shocks to do own?

If they are 3011 or 3012s, there is no special tool.  If they are 2812s there is no special tool.  The 2812s can be adjusted while on the car.  Both adjustments should be on the top of the shock.

For the 3011 and 12, compression adjustment can only be down with the shock off of the car.  Look down on the shock body and tell us if there is a small brass botton on the top of the shock body where the shaft enters the shock.

If there is a brass button (it will be recessed in the top fo the body a bit), you need to do the following.

Remove the shock from the car.
Remove the spring from the shock.
To adjust the shock, use a brass punch or other cylindrical tool, and depress the brass button while turning the shock.  You will be able to feel the adjustment. 

No tool needed.

Tim

maverick1

Post by maverick1 » Mon May 25, 2009 7:52 pm

[quote="twebb"]
Which shocks to do own?

If they are 3011 or 3012s, there is no special tool.  If they are 2812s there is no special tool.  The 2812s can be adjusted while on the car.  Both adjustments should be on the top of the shock.

For the 3011 and 12, compression adjustment can only be down with the shock off of the car.  Look down on the shock body and tell us if there is a small brass botton on the top of the shock body where the shaft enters the shock.

If there is a brass button (it will be recessed in the top fo the body a bit), you need to do the following.

Remove the shock from the car.
Remove the spring from the shock.
To adjust the shock, use a brass punch or other cylindrical tool, and depress the brass button while turning the shock.  You will be able to feel the adjustment. 
No tool needed.
Tim
[/quote]
Thanks Tim.
I believe I have the Koni 3012's which have the single external rebound adjusters.
There is a brass button on the top of the shock body. I thought you needed a tool because on the Koni site they sell a tool for that purpose.
Tim, maybe you can help. 2 of my external rebound adjusters will not move when I insert an allen key. The adjuster is seized. Any advice on getting it moving, or do I need to send them in for repair?
I've tired spraying a lube on them with no luck. I'm not sure if they were seized up from day one.
cheers

Marcus

Post by Marcus » Mon May 25, 2009 9:33 pm

Do not force them - they will break and require a rebuild - and koni is not standing by their warranty.

nickpoore

Post by nickpoore » Tue May 26, 2009 10:02 pm

I have Koni 3012's for sale, but a rebuild would probably be cheaper... :D

To adjust the Koni's 3012's, you unbolt one end of the shock, and extend it fully.
Then you press the brass button, and rotate the shock.
Release the button when it's in the right place, rotate the shock back to fit it to the bracket.

They also talk about a 'tool' for rotating the in-place adjustments, but then suggest a 2.5mm allen wrench also works.

silver

Post by silver » Tue May 26, 2009 10:36 pm

after you mess with that make sure you get it aligned..........just saying

nickpoore

Post by nickpoore » Tue May 26, 2009 11:03 pm

Not sure why you would need to get it aligned after messing with the damper settings.

If you're not adjusting the length, then none of the geometry is changing.

Since the dampers do not adjust the ride height - simply how fast they get there, I don't see how adjusting one would alter the other.

Would love to know why I'm wrong.  <G>
(It happens a lot.)

silver

Post by silver » Tue May 26, 2009 11:14 pm

[quote="Nicholas"]
Not sure why you would need to get it aligned after messing with the damper settings.

If you're not adjusting the length, then none of the geometry is changing.

Since the dampers do not adjust the ride height - simply how fast they get there, I don't see how adjusting one would alter the other.

Would love to know why I'm wrong.  <G>
(It happens a lot.)
[/quote]

sorry you must be correct, I was not understanding what he was asking for...in my head I was seeing the length of the shock changing....my bad.

twebb

Post by twebb » Thu May 28, 2009 12:19 am

Mav,

I've used Allen wrenches in the past to adjust the remound.  That is what should be on the"top" of the shock.  Compression should be adjustable via the brass button on the shock body.

I've never had the rebound adjuster bind up.  I'd give Truechoice a call and ask their tech guys.  You could also try teh Shock Shop.

Good luck.

Tim

maverick1

Post by maverick1 » Thu May 28, 2009 1:48 am

[quote="twebb"]
Mav,

I've used Allen wrenches in the past to adjust the remound.  That is what should be on the"top" of the shock.  Compression should be adjustable via the brass button on the shock body.

I've never had the rebound adjuster bind up.  I'd give Truechoice a call and ask their tech guys.  You could also try teh Shock Shop.

Good luck.

Tim
[/quote]
Thanks Tim.
The circular rebound adjuster is definitely bound up. I've tried using an allen key and it will not turn.
I spoke to someone at Truechoice and they said definitely do not force it.
I will probably have to send the shocks in for service.
Just wish Koni were an upstanding company, and honor their so called lifetime warranty, and not try and weasel out of it with a technicality.
cheers

Radowick

Post by Radowick » Sun Aug 09, 2009 5:06 pm

I read the instructions for making adjustments on my 3012 Koni shocks, and for compression/bump, it says to rotate the rod counter-clockwise to increase the setting. Well,  I am confused for two reasons. The term counter-clockwise is a relative term. If I am holding the shock straight up with the rod & eye emerging upward out of the body, I have two choices, CCW as looking down on the end of the shock body and brass button, or CWW as looking from the shock body toward the extended rod & eye end. I have seen no pictures to make this clear to me.

My first guess was made further unclear to me as it meant that Brammo had it set at 2. Brammo would not have set it so low? ;)  I am just now getting around to resolving my suspension issues, and don't want to have to pull these all off next week because I made the wrong guess on the direction.

Help, please clarify this for me.   

twebb

Post by twebb » Sun Aug 09, 2009 5:29 pm

I believe the CCW is as you look down on the shock.

Radowick

Post by Radowick » Sun Aug 09, 2009 9:57 pm

[quote="twebb"]
I believe the CCW is as you look down on the shock.
[/quote]

Thanks.

The original rebound & compression setting on all 4 dampers were set to 2 by someone at Brammo.
Last edited by Radowick on Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

maverick1

Post by maverick1 » Mon Aug 10, 2009 4:05 am

spanky, I am also playing with my shock settings.
What setting are you going to use for the compression on your shocks?
I kinda now wish I had gone with the higher end shocks that have easy external adjusters for both compression and rebound.

Radowick

Post by Radowick » Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:59 pm

[quote="maverick1"]
spanky, I am also playing with my shock settings.
What setting are you going to use for the compression on your shocks?
I kinda now wish I had gone with the higher end shocks that have easy external adjusters for both compression and rebound.
[/quote]

7 clicks of compression
5 sweeps of rebound
Last edited by Radowick on Sat Aug 15, 2009 12:46 am, edited 1 time in total.