Koni shock compression adjustment tool.

maverick1

Re: Koni shock compression adjustment tool.

Post by maverick1 » Tue Aug 11, 2009 7:14 pm

Unfortunately, on 2 of my 4 shocks the external rebound adjusters have seized up and will not turn.
Tried spraying lube on them but now luck. They were probably seized from day one, and Koni shocks with their so called "lifetime" warranty will not service them free of charge because I am not the original owner...Brammo is.
If I ever upgrade my shocks, I will never get another Koni product as to me they are scum bags.
I have to send my shocks in to get rebuilt. Pretty shitty since they are only 2 years old with only 13,000 miles on them.
I removed the helper springs and the shocks seem to move much better with less sticttion and no more of that clunking sound on braking or accelerating. However, on bumpy turns the car now seems to bounce a lot and is not very stable. If the rebound adjusters worked I could just crank them for a slower rebound and that would settle the car.
The compression is better without the helper springs, but since I have no control of the rebound I will have to put the helpers back on with will slow down the rebound and stabilize the car in bumpy corners until I get the shocks rebuilt.

Radowick

Post by Radowick » Tue Aug 11, 2009 7:29 pm

I had one of mine get the compression adjustment locked up. The way I freed it up was to move the rebound adjustment to its' extreme settings a few times, and the leave it at the lower setting. I then went back to see if the compression was free. Then I set the rebound to the highest setting, and then went back to check the compression adjustment to find that it was then free.  I do not know how these two setting are mechanically interconnected, but it worked. Maybe I was crossing my fingers just right.
Last edited by Radowick on Sat Aug 15, 2009 12:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

maverick1

Post by maverick1 » Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:41 am

Spanky, I will give that a try and cross my fingers and toes. ;D