Question about removing a bolt...

maverick1

Question about removing a bolt...

Post by maverick1 » Wed May 20, 2009 9:57 pm

I need to remove a bolt on the parking brake caliper that has snap rings on the ends.
I removed the snap ring and used the proper hex head socket and it turns but will not come out just keeps turning and then at a point a clunk sound line something is moving.
Here is a pic of the bolt.
Am I missing something?
cheers
Attachments
008 [640x480].JPG
008 [640x480].JPG (70.51 KiB) Viewed 323 times

Heywood-Yablowme

Re: Question about removing a bolt...

Post by Heywood-Yablowme » Wed May 20, 2009 10:16 pm

To remove the parking brake caliper will require you to first remove it from the upright.

OR,you can separate the inner caliper half from the outer by removing the 4 Allen head cap screws that hold them together.

By doing this,you will be able to slide the caliper off the slider pins (with the clips removed)

The slider/bolt with the snap ring has a shoulder that you cannot see on the inside of the caliper ear that bottoms out when tightened into the bracket.

The noise you are hearing are the end threads of the bolt forcing the caliper away from the bracket, against the resistance of the rotor/caliper.

It is not designed to come apart as you are trying to do.
Last edited by Heywood-Yablowme on Wed May 20, 2009 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WorkingOnIt

Post by WorkingOnIt » Wed May 20, 2009 10:25 pm

Oh, just yank on it - it's good enough for rocket scientists:  :D

Astronaut uses brute force to loosen bolt interfering with Hubble repairs

Heywood-Yablowme

Post by Heywood-Yablowme » Wed May 20, 2009 10:28 pm

Or just use a 20lb. sledge hammer. ;)  It's a bitch getting back together,though :P

Mr.Woolery

Post by Mr.Woolery » Wed May 20, 2009 10:33 pm

If you remove the brake pads from the parking brake, you'll be able to remove the caliper from the bracket by just turning those two allen headed bolts until they both go "bump" (which means they're at the end of the threads).

-Remove pads
-Turn both allen head bolts until fully loosened.  You don't even have to remove the retaining rings.
-Caliper will just about fall off.

It worked for me when I did my hub swap.  I did the full bracket removal/disassembly thing the first upright, but learned how to do it the easy way and did the simplified method I described for the second upright.
Last edited by Mr.Woolery on Wed May 20, 2009 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Heywood-Yablowme

Post by Heywood-Yablowme » Wed May 20, 2009 10:52 pm

If you are transfering the caliper/bracket to the new upright,why not just remove it as a complete unit from the old upright? You won't have to disassemble anything. Unless the new upright comes with new caliper brackets? I wouldn't know,as I don't use no stinking parking brakes.Fender brackets either. ;D  I can slap those new uprights on in about 5 minutes! (once I get the longer studs... :-X)
Last edited by Heywood-Yablowme on Wed May 20, 2009 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DarthChicken

Post by DarthChicken » Wed May 20, 2009 11:25 pm

Curator, chill.. you're confusing Mav.

Mav - listen to Spaz, he speaks the truth.  Only thing he missed was "remove cotter pin"

Mr.Woolery

Post by Mr.Woolery » Wed May 20, 2009 11:53 pm

[quote="DarthChicken"]
Curator, chill.. you're confusing Mav.

Mav - listen to Spaz, he speaks the truth.  Only thing he missed was "remove cotter pin"
[/quote]

Remove cotter pin using 20lb sledge hammer.  :laugh:

maverick1

Post by maverick1 » Thu May 21, 2009 12:02 am

[quote="Curator"]
To remove the parking brake caliper will require you to first remove it from the upright.

OR,you can separate the inner caliper half from the outer by removing the 4 Allen head cap screws that hold them together.

By doing this,you will be able to slide the caliper off the slider pins (with the clips removed)

The slider/bolt with the snap ring has a shoulder that you cannot see on the inside of the caliper ear that bottoms out when tightened into the bracket.

The noise you are hearing are the end threads of the bolt forcing the caliper away from the bracket, against the resistance of the rotor/caliper.

It is not designed to come apart as you are trying to do.
[/quote]
I must say that was a perfect explanation of what I was experiencing. Well said.
Thanks for your inputs.
Guys, I need to remove the bolt because dp asked me to so he could provide me with the proper part for my new rear uprights.
Something about needing to see the threads or something to make sure I get the right parts.
Not really sure what he needs to see.
I thought we all would have the same setup if we had the "Wilwood track" brake setup with parking brake.
How do I access the bolts(threads)that the calipers slide on?
cheers

Terry Kennedy

Post by Terry Kennedy » Thu May 21, 2009 3:08 am

[quote="maverick1"]
Guys, I need to remove the bolt because dp asked me to so he could provide me with the proper part for my new rear uprights.
Something about needing to see the threads or something to make sure I get the right parts.
Not really sure what he needs to see.
I thought we all would have the same setup if we had the "Wilwood track" brake setup with parking brake.
[/quote]

Nope - the company that made the parking brake assembly used at least 2 (and more likely 3) different bolts/threads at different times.

He needs to know what threads are on your parking brake mounting bolts so you get the correct brackets.

If you look at this pic, you can see that there's another clip on the underside of the brake mounting flange - you'll need to remove the caliper from the car and remove the bottom clip to get the bolt out:

[img width=576 height=600]http://www.tmk.com/transient/6F5S6615-crop.jpg[/img]

Once you get the bolt out, you can use the printable charts here to see what size it is. Note that it could be either SAE (US) or metric.

maverick1

Post by maverick1 » Thu May 21, 2009 3:46 am

Thanks Terry. Big help.
I guess the only way to access this bolt is to remove the entire caliper from the upright.
The problem is I don't have safety wire or the tool so I didn't want to remove the caliper from the upright.
Are there any retail stores that sell safety wire and the tool?
cheers
Last edited by maverick1 on Thu May 21, 2009 3:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Terry Kennedy

Post by Terry Kennedy » Thu May 21, 2009 3:49 am

[quote="maverick1"]
I guess the only way to access this bolt is to remove the entire caliper from the upright.
The problem is I don't have safety wire or the tool so I didn't want to remove the caliper from the upright.
[/quote]

Just un-do the other allen head bolt and the caliper will come off the bracket. No need to fiddle with the bracket, upright, or safety wire.

maverick1

Post by maverick1 » Thu May 21, 2009 5:09 am

Thanks for you help Terry.
Finally figured it out.
I am such a dumb ass.
I should have figured it out that the bolt can only come out the side of the snap ring, that's why it's there.
I didn't know that the bolt had a lip on it which prevents it from coming out.
Live and learn I guess.

cheers

Driver

Post by Driver » Thu May 21, 2009 5:16 am

Aircraft supply. The safety wire pliers RFMarz had at AtomFest a few years ago were really nice and I believe he said he bought them when he was picking up stuff for his airplane.

Gotta get back to banning the latest spammer but hope that helps (HTH).

AlanP

Post by AlanP » Thu May 21, 2009 5:26 am

aeroplane..
Beautiful 2000 XJR, last ever supercharged Atom, Fiesta Active, 'Verstappen' Honda e, Focus, Jaguar iPace, Volcano Yellow, MSO Black Pack 720S Spider.