Rover Antics LED lights etc...

Terry Kennedy

Post by Terry Kennedy » Tue May 19, 2009 9:45 pm

[quote="bolus"]
Hey Terry, what do you think our combined Atom knowledge is?  I bet we could write a good sized book on all the details and parts and options and service info of the Brammo made Atom.  :)

(thanks for those links)
[/quote]

We've amassed a huge amount of info. If you're going to AtomFest 2009 you should co-present the "Owner performed maintenance and upgrades" session with me.

Terry Kennedy

Post by Terry Kennedy » Tue May 19, 2009 9:57 pm

[quote="dingo"]
I thought I'd posted this link www.safelightstore.com but perhaps not here.

These are working well for me behind clear (stock) lenses.[/quote]

A bunch of us have had the stock housings deteriorate. So for a solution to get my recommendation it would need to have new housings as well. [Of course, there were several iterations of housings on Brammo cars and some may be less problematic.]

FWIW, a complete set of 8 Wipac housings and lenses is $59.69 (plus shipping) at the current exchange rate. A complete set of 8 of the most expensive LEDs (5W Luxeon) from Super Bright LEDs is $199.60. Using 8 less-expensive, but still good, 19-LED arrays from them is $61.92.

silver

Post by silver » Tue May 19, 2009 10:01 pm

obviously I'm partial but I like my solution the best, it uses off the shelf parts works perfectly eliminates the ugly round lights, and it's inexpensive.......I guess some would argue they don't like the look...I can understand the criticism but I like them.

Terry Kennedy

Post by Terry Kennedy » Tue May 19, 2009 10:06 pm

[quote="silver"]
obviously I'm partial but I like my solution the best, it uses off the shelf parts works perfectly eliminates the ugly round lights, and it's inexpensive.......I guess some would argue they don't like the look...I can understand the criticism but I like them.
[/quote]

Can you post a link to pics / discussion of your lights? Were they the oval ones that combined the 2 units into one?

Obviously, I really like the look of the Rover Antics / Mobile Centre ones, or I wouldn't be collecting spares. But the wonderful thing about Atoms is that not only are no two the same, but many owners have further individualized them.

silver

Post by silver » Tue May 19, 2009 10:11 pm

tail lights

http://forum.atomclub.com/index.php/top ... #msg153394

front turn signals.....I only wish they were thin like the brake lights, but I have a solution in mind just haven't pulled the trigger yet.

http://forum.atomclub.com/index.php/top ... #msg151500

maverick1

Re: Rover Antics LED lights etc...

Post by maverick1 » Tue May 19, 2009 11:13 pm

Help.
Can someone suggest a replacement to crappy OEM signal lights.
As you can see mine are literally falling apart, disintegrating right before my eyes.
As you can see in the pic, I first tried using duct tape to hold on the thin plastic cover. I then resorted to a zip tie. You can also see that the white plastic surrounding the bulb has completely deteriorated.
Are there more robust replacements?

cheers
Attachments
001 [800x600].JPG
001 [800x600].JPG (90.44 KiB) Viewed 289 times

bolus

Post by bolus » Tue May 19, 2009 11:36 pm

[quote="maverick1"]
Help.
[/quote]

Ok dude, come on... the whole thread is full of replacement suggestions

Terry Kennedy

Post by Terry Kennedy » Tue May 19, 2009 11:37 pm

[quote="maverick1"]
As you can see mine are literally falling apart, disintegrating right before my eyes.
As you can see in the pic, I first tried using duct tape to hold on the thin plastic cover. I then resorted to a zip tie. You can also see that the white plastic surrounding the bulb has completely deteriorated.
Are there more robust replacements?[/quote]

I believe the Wipac ones will be direct replacements. I have some on order, but haven't received them yet. A full set should be:

2 x LSL025
2 x LSL015
4 x LSL005

Perhaps another Atom owner in your area can sell you their old ones if they've upgraded to an alternate solution? I'd send you mine, but I don't have a complete working set, despite getting some replacements from Brammo and some of the ones from slowcharles' first Atom.

You should be able to re-use your 1156 and 1157 bulbs if they're in good shape. But replacements can be had cheaply from any auto parts store.

maverick1

Post by maverick1 » Wed May 20, 2009 6:24 am

[quote="Terry Kennedy"]
[quote="maverick1"]
Are there more robust replacements?[/quote]

I believe the Wipac ones will be direct replacements. I have some on order, but haven't received them yet. A full set should be:

2 x LSL025
2 x LSL015
4 x LSL005

Perhaps another Atom owner in your area can sell you their old ones if they've upgraded to an alternate solution? I'd send you mine, but I don't have a complete working set, despite getting some replacements from Brammo and some of the ones from slowcharles' first Atom.

You should be able to re-use your 1156 and 1157 bulbs if they're in good shape. But replacements can be had cheaply from any auto parts store.
[/quote]
Thanks Terry. I hope these hold up better than the Brammo ones did.
cheers

DarthChicken

Post by DarthChicken » Wed May 20, 2009 1:25 pm

When my LEDs failed (from rover antics) and I needed to get lights back on the car, I called TMI and got new "stock" pieces.  They are MUCH better than what Brammo used, and haven't had any issues on my car, even though I've removed the balance shafts and the car vibrates a good bit more.

(knock on wood)

maverick1

Post by maverick1 » Wed May 20, 2009 5:49 pm

[quote="DarthChicken"]
When my LEDs failed (from rover antics) and I needed to get lights back on the car, I called TMI and got new "stock" pieces.  They are MUCH better than what Brammo used, and haven't had any issues on my car, even though I've removed the balance shafts and the car vibrates a good bit more.

(knock on wood)
[/quote]
Did you ever figure out why the LED's failed from Rover Antics. I just checked out their web site and they look really good.
Were they bright?
Did they fit our Atom light fixtures, or did you have to modify them?
cheers

DarthChicken

Post by DarthChicken » Wed May 20, 2009 11:27 pm

Something was breaking off inside.. by the sounds of it, a large capacitor.

Electronics that are subject to vibration need to have something to tack down large parts, so they don't vibrate themselves loose.  These didn't have this done, so they died. 

Terry Kennedy

Post by Terry Kennedy » Thu May 21, 2009 12:47 pm

[quote="DarthChicken"]
Something was breaking off inside.. by the sounds of it, a large capacitor.

Electronics that are subject to vibration need to have something to tack down large parts, so they don't vibrate themselves loose.  These didn't have this done, so they died. 
[/quote]

Exactly. I've been trying to get a hold of a failed unit for dissection ever since I heard that the first one had failed. Unfortunately, they all seem to have gone back to Rover Antics and then on to the manufacturer.

My plan is to destructively open one unit to see what is going on, and if it will be possible to take preventative action without needing to open the other units (since they are ultrasonically welded shut). Hopefully it will be as simple as pumping clear silicone sealant down the center shaft alongside the wires. The trick will be getting something thin enough to spread out on the back of the circuit boards, but not so thin that it runs around the edges of the board and onto the lens.

maverick1

Post by maverick1 » Thu May 21, 2009 6:52 pm

So are you guys saying that everyone who got the Rover Antics LED lights have had problems?
I've ordered some replacement lamps from Wipac. Hopefully they will be more robust than Brammo's.
cheers

apollyon25

Post by apollyon25 » Thu May 21, 2009 7:58 pm

[quote="Terry Kennedy"]
Hopefully it will be as simple as pumping clear silicone sealant down the center shaft alongside the wires. The trick will be getting something thin enough to spread out on the back of the circuit boards, but not so thin that it runs around the edges of the board and onto the lens.
[/quote]

Dow Corning 3140
Its a low viscosity silicone (moisture cure - aka air) used in military hardware to secure components of PCB modifications to the PCB.
Sticks like crazy!
It is not low enough viscosity to wick in and under stuff you dont want it to go...