Probably time for me to get new uprights...

Heywood-Yablowme

Re: Probably time for me to get new uprights...

Post by Heywood-Yablowme » Sun May 10, 2009 11:00 pm

Hey Randy,they are Earp machined spacers.

Mistake like that might be lethal back in the day... 8)

Have you taken the ZO6 on track? 
Last edited by Heywood-Yablowme on Mon May 11, 2009 1:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mr.Woolery

Post by Mr.Woolery » Mon May 11, 2009 2:46 am

So are the rear bearings becoming sloppy and loose?  I found mine were when I removed the original uprights, but couldn't spot any wear until I actually removed them (they passed he "shake/rock the wheel for deflection" test before removing them).

1965Cobra427

Post by 1965Cobra427 » Mon May 11, 2009 1:31 pm

[quote="Curator"]
Hey Randy,they are Earp machined spacers.

Mistake like that might be lethal back in the day... 8)

Have you taken the ZO6 on track? 
[/quote]

Oh, yeah, I watched 'Tombstone' this weekend and got all crossed up!

1965Cobra427

Post by 1965Cobra427 » Mon May 11, 2009 1:41 pm

[quote="DarthChicken"]
[quote="bolus"]
The external is a little chewed up

[img width=800 height=450]http://bolus.shackspace.com/atom/spacers2.jpg[/img]
[/quote]

A LITTLE chewed up?  :o
[/quote]

Yeah, when it gets really bad, the spacer will have that jagged surface all across the face, not just near the center and material will actually be pushed out beyond the outermost diameter of the spacer in some cases. I must qualify that by adding that in my cases, we were running the car VERY hard, with agressive suspension settings and very sticky slicks, sometimes on somewhat rough tracks. We never had a bearing failure per se. Five hubs broke, two uprights were damaged, bearings were always intact and no significant sign of abnormal wear. Seals typically leaked as illustrated by the first photos in this thread.

By the way, the Atom does extremely well when run VERY hard. I attribute the breakages we experienced to specific weaknesses in component manufacturing (IE: soft spacers) and not to any shortcomming in the design or general fabrication. Compared with other cars we run with, we are both quicker and less expensive to operate, sometimes to the extreme.

The Earp spacers are great. They prevent the nut loosening & spaer degridation. The seal issue remains. Unique Fabricating uprights even better, with bigger, sealed bearings -  the whole package. Atoms RULE!