Major power loss problem today.

maverick1

Major power loss problem today.

Post by maverick1 » Sun May 03, 2009 11:23 pm

Calscot and I did a canyon run today to Palomar mountain and when going up the canyon, the car would stop accelerating at 5,000rpm just like it was hitting the rev limiter.
I think it must be the dreaded heat soak issue, and I think something with the intercooling is not working.
I checked the fan and it does come on, however I saw air in the system so I hope it's just low in coolant. How can you tell if the coolant pump is working?
If it's not the coolant level or pump can anyone guess what else it might be?
Oil level is perfect and the car never got above 184F.
Just a major loss of power.
cheers

Marcus

Re: Major power loss problem today.

Post by Marcus » Mon May 04, 2009 12:01 am

Could it be that an over rev could have put it into limp mode?

silver

Post by silver » Mon May 04, 2009 12:04 am

not limp mode, cuz the car isn't drivable in limp mode.

probably not heat soak as it's not an abrupt power loss at a specific RPM

I know there's a specific issue that the ECU will take the timing out at 5200rpm under certain circumstances but I can't remember what the cause is.

I think Darth might know that answer......and that might solve your problem.

FourFather

Post by FourFather » Mon May 04, 2009 12:25 am

Check out the thread just above yours--"Check fuel tank gaskets,-Some deteriorate". Are your symptoms like those I described? If so, you may have the same problem- :(

Eddie

bolus

Post by bolus » Mon May 04, 2009 12:31 am

The dynamic airflow crossover occurs at 5800. So a guess would be the MAF.  but Eddie's idea is a good one

Marcus

Post by Marcus » Mon May 04, 2009 12:40 am

Maybe I have the term wrong, but I have had this happen a couple times (K20) due to spin and/or over rev. The solution for me was to turn the car off and on.
Last edited by Marcus on Mon May 04, 2009 1:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

DarthChicken

Post by DarthChicken » Mon May 04, 2009 12:57 am

There was a thread about 6 months back where somebody had this problem... we all guessed, and guessed, and guessed, and it ended up being...

http://forum.atomclub.com/index.php/topic,7892.0.html

You running a cat Mav?

Could also be pulling major advance because of knock.  Bad tank of gas?  Could also be you were driving with Calscot.. I know at Reno-fest I felt like I was driving backwards when he was around.  Cost me a couple grand to fix it too  :D

silver

Post by silver » Mon May 04, 2009 2:36 am

[quote="Marcus"]
Maybe I have the term wrong, but I have had this happen a couple times (K20) due to spin and/or over rev. The solution for me was to turn the car off and on.

[/quote]

you got the term correct, but, his symptoms don't point to that as the problem,  at least not the way i'm interpreting it.

Bolus,

yes thx 5800rpm....

maverick1

Post by maverick1 » Mon May 04, 2009 2:45 am

Thanks for all your suggestions guys.
I checked the air filter, not that dirty but changed it anyway.
Yesterday I put in a bottle of Chevron Techron. I don't think that would do any harm.
I will check the fuel tank gasket tomorrow. I hope it's the gasket and not something major.
On the way home on the highway in 5th gear if I push hard on the throttle it would stop accelerating around 3800rpm.
cheers

silver

Post by silver » Mon May 04, 2009 2:48 am

I'm pretty sure the gasket problem would be your worst nightmare......its' not like you can just remove the tank and clean it out....looked like a huge job reading Eddie's thread........and if it's happening at 3800 rpm that's not the ecu problem I was thinking it could be so hmmm.......I'm sure Positron will just tell us what it is...he always has the right answer!

maverick1

Post by maverick1 » Mon May 04, 2009 2:59 am

When I read Eddie's post it was exactly what I experienced today. Power cuts off around 5-6000rpm under full throttle.
I was just saying that I would rather have it be this than an internal engine problem.
By the way where is the fuel filter located in the Ecotec?
cheers

silver

Post by silver » Mon May 04, 2009 3:14 am

i'm confused you said it cut out at 5-6k then 3800...is that because it cuts out at different rpms depending on how you're driving?

maverick1

Post by maverick1 » Mon May 04, 2009 3:28 am

[quote="silver"]
i'm confused you said it cut out at 5-6k then 3800...is that because it cuts out at different rpms depending on how you're driving?
[/quote]
Most of the time when we were driving up a canyon road I was mostly in third gear and it would constantly cut out in between 5-6000rpm when I was under hard acceleration. On the highway since I was in a higher gear 5th it seemed to cut out a little earlier say 4-5000rpm.
I'm almost positive it is the same problem Eddie had with his car, definitely fuel starvation.
Now the work begins.
Pretty sad when gaskets can't last much over 10,000 miles.

cheers.

atomizer

Post by atomizer » Mon May 04, 2009 4:43 am

clogged muffler from crappy cat
this happened to me! gutted cat cleaned out muffler....fixed.

positron

Post by positron » Mon May 04, 2009 5:33 am

I'm out of town, I think on the other thread talked about removing passenger side fill neck and looking for chunks of rubber. Gasket is easy to get from TMI, cleaning tank takes more safety care and removing fuel pump bucket is a bit tricky but necessary if gasket is exploded..  you'll need to order two, one for each side. I would advise removing firewall, so long as you have a pop rivet gun etc to reinstall, removing pump bucket straight up is worth the time IMO.

Running on track in a fuel starvation mode is not advisable.