Major power loss problem today.

maverick1

Re: Major power loss problem today.

Post by maverick1 » Mon May 04, 2009 6:02 am

[quote="Atomizer"]
clogged muffler from crappy cat
this happened to me! gutted cat cleaned out muffler....fixed.

[/quote]
I don't think it is that. I have a new Hytech exhaust system and not running a cat.
More than likely it is the fuel tank gasket. I have a tendency of filling up my fuel tank right up to the filler cap.
cheers

maverick1

Post by maverick1 » Mon May 04, 2009 9:47 pm

BINGO
I found out today that my power loss is in fact caused by the deteriorated fuel tank gaskets.
I am kind of relieved because I'd rather it be this than some difficult to diagnose electrical issue.
cheers

silver

Post by silver » Mon May 04, 2009 9:49 pm

good for you!!!

can you please take pics of the repair process, because, I didn't see any pics on Eddie's post and I'm sure lots of us are going to have to follow in your shoes soon enough.

DarthChicken

Post by DarthChicken » Mon May 04, 2009 11:36 pm

If I can make a suggestion on the pump side - don't pull the pump out.  Unhook the lines from the fuel filter, and unbolt the fuel pump.  Slip the old gasket over the flange, and slide the old gasket down the lines and off.. and then reverse to install new.  You pull that pump out, or even lift it too far, you're in for a lot longer day.  Which is fine if you have lots of beer on tap....  :pop:

Passenger side is easy.  This all assumes you're gaskets haven't deteriorated and done what Mav's have done.  In which case you'll need to pull it all apart and clean all the crap out  Since this is the 3rd failure I've heard of, I'm ordering gaskets tomorrow BEFORE I have a failure and have it ruin a weekend for me.

silver

Post by silver » Mon May 04, 2009 11:37 pm

are you ordering from TMI or from another source?  sorry I don't remember seeing a link to the parts, and I'm in the middle of typing my post so there's no turning back now

maverick1

Post by maverick1 » Tue May 05, 2009 6:34 am

[quote="DarthChicken"]
If I can make a suggestion on the pump side - don't pull the pump out.  Unhook the lines from the fuel filter, and unbolt the fuel pump.  Slip the old gasket over the flange, and slide the old gasket down the lines and off.. and then reverse to install new.  You pull that pump out, or even lift it too far, you're in for a lot longer day.  Which is fine if you have lots of beer on tap....  :pop:

Passenger side is easy.  This all assumes you're gaskets haven't deteriorated and done what Mav's have done.  In which case you'll need to pull it all apart and clean all the crap out  Since this is the 3rd failure I've heard of, I'm ordering gaskets tomorrow BEFORE I have a failure and have it ruin a weekend for me.

[/quote]
thanks for the heads up Darth.
Just curious, but what is the problem with taking the fuel pump right out of the tank. Is it hard to get back in?
I bought a replacement fuel filter today....pricey little bugger.

cheers