Is this normal (axle)? - Urgent, impending track event

Lane

Is this normal (axle)? - Urgent, impending track event

Post by Lane » Sat May 02, 2009 10:51 pm

I have a track event tomorrow, and noticed this today during a visual inspection.  Does this look right?

[img width=800 height=600]http://www.evilatom.com/forum/axle_space.jpg[/img]

This is on a Brammo Atom 2, and it's an old photo from when the exhaust system was being fabricated.  Is that much of the machined silver part of the passenger-side axle end supposed to be visible, or should it reside further inside the end of the intermediate shaft end coupling?  When I pull on the axle slightly (as the car is sitting on the ground and nothing is taken apart), the end has a millimeter or two of lateral movement possible relative to the intermediate shaft mounted in a fixed position to the block.

Can someone measure the amount of that machined silver part that is exposed and let me know if the photo above looks normal?

Thanks in advance.
Image 300hp Ecotec Atom that is driven.  Visit my website.

silver

Re: Is this normal (axle)? - Urgent, impending track event

Post by silver » Sat May 02, 2009 11:09 pm

i just checked mine, on the right hand side where you have the raised machined lip, I do not have that or mine doesn't show at all, only the smaller diameter portion shows....at the left hand side of the smaller diameter portion there is an even smaller diameter portion which I think is also in your photo but can't telll for sure.

there is absolutely no travel in my axles if I try to pull them left and right..

positron

Post by positron » Sat May 02, 2009 11:11 pm

Checked mine.. that is normal. Curbside is right at an inch. Street side is about 1/8". The reason for the discrepancy is that Curbside outer shaft does not have a seal therefore it's all exposed. The curbside inner shaft looks the same as the streetside because they both have an oil seal to the trans.

Good to go.. :tu:  bring back pics!

silver

Post by silver » Sat May 02, 2009 11:15 pm

Positron

umm, why is mine different, and what the hell is curbside and streetside, wouldn't that depend on which direction you parked the car...why can't you make it easy and say right or left, or passenger side driver side. :D

no but seriously, mine IS different....and I don't understand your terminology...I know whatever you said is correct, but I don't understand it.

positron

Post by positron » Sat May 02, 2009 11:21 pm

Guess I'm used to bus terminology where there is no driver/passenger left/right so in the US curbside = passenger/right hand etc etc..

Especially when you start talking about the left side of the right hand shaft on the right hand of the passenger side of the north bound train from Chicago traveling at 82 mph with a headwind of 10 knots...

I must have some other version, but I thought you and I were pretty close in serial number, but I just got mine back from DLS.
Attachments
IMG_9045 [640x480].jpg
IMG_9045 [640x480].jpg (64.5 KiB) Viewed 289 times
Last edited by positron on Sat May 02, 2009 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

silver

Post by silver » Sat May 02, 2009 11:24 pm

I'm vin 60 what is yours? And what's DLS? And thanks for the explanation 

positron

Post by positron » Sat May 02, 2009 11:28 pm

73.. DriveLine Shop.. Post up a pic.. now I'm curious.. I guess alot could have happened in those last few death gasping months..

Anyway since the RH outboard shaft is most likely for some other application it's got a machined surface if it were needed to be inserted into a trans housing requiring an oil seal but since it's only in a ball bearing there is no need, only for rust to grow.. the middle extension shaft seals the trans.
Last edited by positron on Sat May 02, 2009 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

silver

Post by silver » Sat May 02, 2009 11:39 pm

best i can do at the moment....on the "curbside" there is NO machined bit at a larger diameter before entering into the black portion...I know the flash makes it harder to tell for sure but, that's what I've got

Last edited by silver on Sat May 02, 2009 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

positron

Post by positron » Sat May 02, 2009 11:45 pm

Moving from left to right (need Bolus to put in some arrows).. the first is the RH most portion of the middle shaft, the next(smallest) step down is the splines, the next, about an inch, is what would be the sealing surface, the next black one is the transition to CV bearing housing..

Sorry man, you is the same as us non Texicans..
Last edited by positron on Sat May 02, 2009 11:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

silver

Post by silver » Sat May 02, 2009 11:48 pm

So its the same but that portion you and lane have where the diameter is the largest as it enters the black portion on the farthest right side on mine is most likely totally inside the black part....it works so I'm not worried

positron

Post by positron » Sat May 02, 2009 11:53 pm

To get a solution, first we MUST assume that the trains were traveling at the same constant rate of speed.

Lets assume that the trains traveled for a while until they got to 279 miles each. After that, the first train kept going for another hour and a half, and got up to mile marker 372. The difference between the two distances is 97 miles, and it took the train 1 1/2 hours to go that 97 miles. So how fast did it go? 97 miles/1.5 hours can be done easily on your calculator or by hand.

The second way is to actually set up an algebra problem. To do this, we'll need a time, H, which we can treat just like it's a number, but we don't know what number it is... and it will end up canceling itself out.

The second train went a certain distance, 279 miles, in a certain time, H. The first train went 372 miles in the time H plus another 1.5 hours. The speeds of the trains were the same, so we can set the equation up this way:

279/H = 372/(H+1.5) = 372/H + 372/1.5

silver

Post by silver » Sat May 02, 2009 11:55 pm

Exactly what I was thinking lol

Lane

Post by Lane » Sun May 03, 2009 12:41 am

Great, thanks for checking guys.  Glad to know this is normal, and I won't be worrying about it.
Image 300hp Ecotec Atom that is driven.  Visit my website.

positron

Post by positron » Sun May 03, 2009 12:54 am

Car is normal.. as to my friend Silver and I.. well that's another story..  :laugh:

bolus

Post by bolus » Sun May 03, 2009 5:46 am

All three of you guys are wrong.  Here is what it should look like  (I'm sure it doesn't matter if you guys are just missing the protective rubber bushing that keeps grit out of there)

[img width=800 height=450]http://bolus.shackspace.com/atom/axle-F.jpg[/img]
[img width=800 height=450]http://bolus.shackspace.com/atom/axle_passenger.jpg[/img]
[img width=800 height=450]http://bolus.shackspace.com/atom/axle_passenger2.jpg[/img]