Solution for gas sloshing in the fuel tank.

maverick1

Solution for gas sloshing in the fuel tank.

Post by maverick1 » Mon Apr 27, 2009 7:21 pm

On a spirited canyon run I noticed that the engine sputtered on some of the turns, due to a low fuel level in the tank and the gas sloshing around allowing air to be taken in.
When I filled up the tank I could only put in around 7 gallons so I still had over 2 gallons in the tank.
I mentioned this to a gentleman who races jet skis and he said that the fuel starvation is even worse in jet skis since they are running on rough waters. He said that he puts in a special foam in the fuel tanks to stop the fuel from sloshing around and that it works very well on the jet skis and should work in the Atom. He said that it does not take up much room either.
Has anyone thought to use this foam?
cheers

Heywood-Yablowme

Re: Solution for gas sloshing in the fuel tank.

Post by Heywood-Yablowme » Mon Apr 27, 2009 7:32 pm

Many fuel cells use foam for that purpose. I have not heard of a product that can be added to an already built tank...but I don't see why it would not work to cure the problem.

maverick1

Post by maverick1 » Mon Apr 27, 2009 7:45 pm

Here are some products I found.
http://www.cyclebuy.com/shopping/evomx/index.htm

http://www.justgastanks.com/store/index ... cts_id=568
They say that it not only stops the sloshing around of fuel which in our case causes the fuel pump to draw up air which causes engine sputter, but that the foam helps in the handling of the vehicle by eliminating gas tank inertia....an added bonus.
I think I might try out this foam. It will allow the Atom to run on the track with less than half a tank of fuel.
cheers

Heywood-Yablowme

Post by Heywood-Yablowme » Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:01 pm

Hmm...seems to be targeted for bikes. I would assume it should fill the entire fuel tank so as not to become a problem of its own. Would be interesting to see if they would recommend it for an application like the Atom tank. Seems promising. Helps fuel starvation over jumps... ;D

After looking again..I was assuming it was a product that was poured into the tank and then turned into foam.However,the foam is introduced into the tank in cut solid form. Very interesting... seems to have a life span though...wonder what it turns into.. :o

"EvoMx fuel tank foam has a 15 year lifespan, so maintenance is minimal. "

The fuel float setup would no longer work once this was introduced into the tank. Not a biggie,but notable.
Last edited by Heywood-Yablowme on Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

benyeats

Post by benyeats » Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:16 pm

Could have done with that today, had to cut my trackday short as the starvation in long right handers had started and the on site fuel vendor had closed.

That stuff looks pretty good, assuming it does what it says on the tin.  I think Honda Atom fuel tanks have a swirl pot built into the tank so should not suffer from this kind of problem, my Atom 1 however does not.

Ben

Driver

Post by Driver » Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:40 pm

[quote="benyeats"]
Could have done with that today, had to cut my trackday short as the starvation in long right handers had started and the on site fuel vendor had closed.[/quote]

How HAS the new engine and additional power been?

benyeats

Post by benyeats » Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:46 pm

[quote="Driver"]
[quote="benyeats"]
Could have done with that today, had to cut my trackday short as the starvation in long right handers had started and the on site fuel vendor had closed.[/quote]

How HAS the new engine and additional power been?
[/quote]

Really good, was also running some new team dynamics wheels and Toyo 888s for the first time today, the car feels better than ever and I am sure I was lapping Bedford faster than I ever have.

Ben

Heywood-Yablowme

Post by Heywood-Yablowme » Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:49 pm

Don't you/can't you guys run lap timers?
Last edited by Heywood-Yablowme on Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DADOH

Post by DADOH » Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:11 pm

I think its against the rules.....

Heywood-Yablowme

Post by Heywood-Yablowme » Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:16 pm

Oh..I guess I missed that somewhere. Seems pretty silly. After all...it is a race track... :tu:   

Now back to that gas sloshing!  I emaiiled them to see what they thought about doing a large  tank,and if they knew what the stuff degraded into :o

bolus

Post by bolus » Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:28 pm

how about legos?

Heywood-Yablowme

Post by Heywood-Yablowme » Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:40 pm

Legos? Legos?? In your fuel tank?

I once put a Lego car I built into Moms oven. Figured I fuse all those suckers together so my brother could not take it apart......Mom was not impressed...

AustrianAtom

Post by AustrianAtom » Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:00 am

hi

the foam works great i use it on alll my racebikes, specially on bikes its very usefull because in the case of a crash wich rips the fuel tank open the fuel doesnt flush out thru the hole and just rinse out slowly so the chance that the bike burns down is smaller.

it is just a foam wich is ut in blocks and stuffed in the tank, sur eyou need to take care about the sensor of the fuel gauge