Wilwood 6-piston upgrade.

nickpoore

Re: Wilwood 6-piston upgrade.

Post by nickpoore » Mon Apr 27, 2009 5:32 pm

[quote="Bottoz"]
Dang Nicholas... sorry to disappoint. ;)

Originally, I also thought that the fronts would do most of the work. But after being on track and playing with the bias I'm convinced that the rears are in charge. Plus, it's hard to challenge your pictures!
[/quote]

I've been wrong before too...

Although, I have come up with an explaination...

Since more than 90% of my driving is "relaxed" street driving, and I only have 10 track days, I could argue that the rear pad wear is from normal driving, and does not fully represent the aggressive driving at the track when the weight is well and truly thrown forwards.

I might be grasping at straws here...

maverick1

Post by maverick1 » Mon Apr 27, 2009 7:14 pm

I looked at my pads and rotors yesterday and I could not see or feel any wear on the rotors at all.
I have the Willwood track brakes.
On my Porsche I could feel a ridge on the edge of the rotor, showing just how much wear was on it. Will a ridge form on the edge of the Willwood rotors, or do the pads bite all the way to the edge of the rotor?
When it's time to change out the pads on the Willwoods, can you replace the pads without changing out the rotors?
cheers

nickpoore

Post by nickpoore » Mon Apr 27, 2009 7:38 pm

I'm sure others will disagree, however...

When changing pads, I'm told that if the used rotors are smooth to the touch, and they are withing their wear limits, then you can re-use them.
If the rotors have ridges, and are within their wear limits, then you can turn them (on a laithe) and reuse them.

However, rotors with holes, or vanes will break the bit on a laithe, and you cannot turn them.

My Wilwood track brake pads were reasonably worn, and I decided to replace the rotors at the same time.
The rotors were $140 each.
I could not feel any wear ridge at the edge (or the center) like you describe so would venture to say that replacing them was redundant.

Bottoz

Post by Bottoz » Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:51 pm

In response to Maverick, I agree 100% with Nicholas.

M coop

Post by M coop » Thu May 14, 2009 12:32 pm

Any update on the new brakes?  :pop:

nickpoore

Post by nickpoore » Thu May 14, 2009 2:43 pm

Yep.

They don't fit.

Well, they do, but they don't.

The mounting points on our Wilwood brakes have the same surface on the outside as the inside - which means that we can bolt them to a bracket on either side, and they work just fine.

However, the new ones only bolt up on one side.

Luckily, the amazing Tom S was able to whip up a replacement bracket and he says with the new bracket that they will fit just fine.

So, not quite a bolt-on, as you need a new bracket, but TomS can make you a bracket and everything will work.

I should get mine next month, and will report more then.
I've been kinda sidetracked with my uprights & hubs; which should be over this week.
Then I need to take a look at the fuel tank...

FrankRizzo

Post by FrankRizzo » Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:34 pm

(Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but inquiring minds want to know!)

What was the ultimate outcome on your project here Nicholas?

nickpoore

Post by nickpoore » Tue Sep 21, 2010 4:57 pm

I think that Tom Smurzynski got a set up and running, but not on my car.

I did visit the factory (they're close) and they agreed that they were not a bolt on replacement.
However, they were more than willing to loan me a non-working caliper if I wanted to work on making it fit.

So, it can be done, it really depends on what you're interested in accomplishing.
Nick.

fishkiller

Post by fishkiller » Tue Sep 21, 2010 11:58 pm

If you need your rotors replaced, talk with  Martin at girodisk.
He informed me that he has 5 sets available.
2-piece girodisc stock replacements for the rear Wilwood setups,  $250/pr.

http://www.girodisc.com/

FrankRizzo

Post by FrankRizzo » Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:04 am

[quote="fishkiller"]
If you need your rotors replaced, talk with  Martin at girodisk.
He informed me that he has 5 sets available.
2-piece girodisc stock replacements for the rear Wilwood setups,  $250/pr.

http://www.girodisc.com/
[/quote]

Thanks fishkiller!  I'm not in the molecule yet, I'm just standing outside watch the atoms spin at the moment.  But, I'm trying to lock down the things that are cheaper/only available at order time, vs. the things that could be done after market that were just as good, if not better.  I know that braking is a subjective matter, and that what I'm asking is difficult, but has anyone compared the Girodisc "big brake package" for the Atom against the Alcons?

Additionally, is the Girodisc set considered to be the best aftermarket setup currently?

fishkiller

Post by fishkiller » Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:24 am

IMHO, the 11.5 inch rotors and six piston calipers on the girodisc provide superior braking to the Alcons and wilwoods.
The brake pads are cheaper too.
I've driven all 4 brake packages on the track, so that is what my opinion based is based on.

FrankRizzo

Post by FrankRizzo » Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:27 am

[quote="fishkiller"]
IMHO, the 11.5 inch rotors and six piston calipers on the girodisc provide superior braking to the Alcons and wilwoods.
The brake pads are cheaper too.
I've driven all 4 brake packages on the track, so that is what my opinion based is based on.

[/quote]

SOLD!  That's another thing that I can check off the list.  I go to Girodisc's site, and they send me to www.group2inc.com.  (Up in YOUR neck of the woods!)

Do they sell them for what I assume is the list price?  $3299?

Lastly, how much are the rotors?

mongo

Post by mongo » Wed Sep 22, 2010 1:19 am

Mongo Says,
Read what he wrote in the first post to answer your own question

FrankRizzo

Post by FrankRizzo » Wed Sep 22, 2010 1:21 am

[quote="mongo"]
Mongo Says,
Read what he wrote in the first post to answer your own question
[/quote]

Heh, thanks Mongo.  Sometimes I'm a little dense.  ;D

nickpoore

Post by nickpoore » Wed Sep 22, 2010 2:38 am

When you say that the brake pads are cheaper - the Wilwoods are $55 per axle.
How much cheaper can they get?

My final thoughs on the brakes were...
In a 30 minute track session, I have never experienced brake fade.
The brakes are always able to lock up the tires (even with fully warmed up slicks at the end of the session.)
The brakes never feel spongy, and always have good feedback.

I'm not sure what bigger, better brakes are going to do for me.