Wilwood 6-piston upgrade.

FrankRizzo

Re: Wilwood 6-piston upgrade.

Post by FrankRizzo » Wed Sep 22, 2010 2:40 am

[quote="Nicholas"]
When you say that the brake pads are cheaper - the Wilwoods are $55 per axle.
How much cheaper can they get?

My final thoughs on the brakes were...
In a 30 minute track session, I have never experienced brake fade.
The brakes are always able to lock up the tires (even with fully warmed up slicks at the end of the session.)
The brakes never feel spongy, and always have good feedback.

I'm not sure what bigger, better brakes are going to do for me.
[/quote]

OK, since it seems that your 6-piston upgrade was unsuccessful, so what do you have now?

nickpoore

Post by nickpoore » Wed Sep 22, 2010 2:42 am

Wilwood 4-piston all around.

BP20 brake pad (wilwood)

Wilwood slotted/vented rotors.

FrankRizzo

Post by FrankRizzo » Wed Sep 22, 2010 2:46 am

So, if I order the stock brakes (no upgrades) on a new 3, do I get 2 piston wilwoods in the front, and the PBR (not Pabst Blue Ribbon I hope), in the rear?

If so, Nicholas, can you shoot me part numbers for what you have?

FrankRizzo

Post by FrankRizzo » Wed Sep 22, 2010 2:54 am

OK, after consulting the price list, it seems to suggest that you get single piston PBR's all around.

So I at least answered my own question on that.

993rs

Post by 993rs » Wed Sep 22, 2010 2:56 am

[quote="fishkiller"]
IMHO, the 11.5 inch rotors and six piston calipers on the girodisc provide superior braking to the Alcons and wilwoods.
The brake pads are cheaper too.
I've driven all 4 brake packages on the track, so that is what my opinion based is based on.

[/quote]

Fishkiller -

What six piston calipers are you using, and are you using them on all four wheels?

FrankRizzo

Post by FrankRizzo » Wed Sep 22, 2010 2:59 am

[quote="993rs"]
Fishkiller -

What six piston calipers are you using, and are you using them on all four wheels?
[/quote]

I believe he's using these:

http://www.girodisc.com/catalog/product ... a83273ca78

nickpoore

Post by nickpoore » Wed Sep 22, 2010 3:25 am

[quote="FrankRizzo"]
OK, after consulting the price list, it seems to suggest that you get single piston PBR's all around.

So I at least answered my own question on that.
[/quote]

Remember that different calipers have different mounting points.
So, if you get PBR's, you probably can't use calipers that are the same mounting as Wilwoods, as the uprights will have been built for PBR's.

Lane

Post by Lane » Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:51 am

[quote="Nicholas"]
I'm not sure what bigger, better brakes are going to do for me.
[/quote]

Put me in the same category.  The wilwood 4-piston calipers all around with $70/set Hawk DTC pads (set up that the AAE cars used) works phenominal.  I couldn't see anything more being worthwhile in the cost vs. performance area unles unless serious competition with the car was involved.  Plus, replacement Wilwood rotors were $70 each last time I bought a set.  If someone's wanting an upgrade over the PBR, give this set up some consideration.  It woks extremely well.
Image 300hp Ecotec Atom that is driven.  Visit my website.

FrankRizzo

Post by FrankRizzo » Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:03 pm

[quote="Nicholas"]
Remember that different calipers have different mounting points.
So, if you get PBR's, you probably can't use calipers that are the same mounting as Wilwoods, as the uprights will have been built for PBR's.
[/quote]

Ahh!  Good to know.  So if I want to do what you and Lane did, I need to order the "Wilwood Dynalite Sport Brake Package" in order to get the right uprights, or get the PBRs, and get new uprights when I get the brakes?

Does the "Wilwood Dynalite Sport Brake Package" include all 4 wheels, or is this the "fronts only, keep the PBRs on the rear" that I've been reading about?

Lane

Post by Lane » Sat Sep 25, 2010 6:07 am

[quote="FrankRizzo"]
So if I want to do what you and Lane did, I need to order the "Wilwood Dynalite Sport Brake Package" in order to get the right uprights, or get the PBRs, and get new uprights when I get the brakes?
[/quote]

When I ordered my Atom 2 more than three years ago, there were 4 brake packages.  I'd be surprised if what's offered for the Atom 3 today is the same but this is what they were back then.  This is text I'd pulled from an old forum post long ago and I don't recall who the original poster was.

Standard: Floating PBR calipers front and rear, 10.3" front ventilated rotor / 9.4" rear ventilated rotor
Sport: Wilwood Dynalite 4 piston caliper front, Floating PBR caliper rear, 10.3" front ventilated rotor / 9.4" rear ventilated rotor
The Sport package uses smaller rotors, and has lesser brakes/rotors on the rear.
Track: Wilwood Dynalite 4 piston caliper front and rear caliper + E-brake caliper, 11" front two-piece ventilated rotor / 11" rear two-piece ventilated rotor.  The Track package uses bigger rotors, and treats the front and rear the same.
Competition: Alcon calipers front and rear.  Sounds like the early cars got smaller Alcon calipers in the rear, while the later ones had the same size?

Even though I ordered my car with the sport option, I upgraded later to the track set-up and left off the parking brake.  Pics of the hardware and what I did for the upgrade can be seen in this gallery on my website.  Uprights were the same for all of these brake packages and it was just the custom caliper bracket which needed changing.
Image 300hp Ecotec Atom that is driven.  Visit my website.

Terry Kennedy

Post by Terry Kennedy » Sat Sep 25, 2010 4:00 pm

[quote="Lane"]
Competition: Alcon calipers front and rear.  Sounds like the early cars got smaller Alcon calipers in the rear, while the later ones had the same size?[/quote]

Yup. Cars spec'd (not built) after around late June 2006 got identical front/rear 4-pot Alcons. Earlier cars had 4-pots on the front and 2-pots on the rear. Converting was a real nightmare, mostly because of Brammo's "no 2 cars the same" early production methods.

FrankRizzo

Post by FrankRizzo » Sat Sep 25, 2010 7:03 pm

Does anyone know about NOW?

Terry Kennedy

Post by Terry Kennedy » Sat Sep 25, 2010 11:27 pm

[quote="FrankRizzo"]
Does anyone know about NOW?
[/quote]

Eh? This is the Brammo subsection - there is no now.  :doh: