Check Fuel Tank Gaskets - Some deteriorate

silver

Re: Check Fuel Tank Gaskets - Some deteriorate

Post by silver » Fri Jun 05, 2009 3:54 am

Here's the 2 socks, right side is inner sock, which is pretty darn clean, left side is the sock that was on the bottom of the tank looks like everyone elses, but at least Spanky can get a side by side
Attachments
IMG00237 (Medium).jpg
IMG00237 (Medium).jpg (34.61 KiB) Viewed 243 times

silver

Post by silver » Fri Jun 05, 2009 4:07 am

Last thing for tonight, I tried cleaning both socks....no real luck there.  Also I tried to test the rate of flow of the socks by blowing through the opening.......I can't really even blow through the lowest one and the inner sock isn't a lot better.....versus the socks I purchased give 0 resistance.........could the used ones give that much more resistance b/c they are wet?

going to bed now.

positron

Post by positron » Fri Jun 05, 2009 4:27 am

Now.. that's just disturbing...

silver

Post by silver » Fri Jun 05, 2009 4:29 am

Could be worse....its not like I siphoned the gas out with my mouth!

Lane

Post by Lane » Fri Jun 05, 2009 5:16 am

[quote="silver"]
the necks of the rivets were left in place, some of them were able to be removed others had to be punched in....had I wanted I probably could have gotten all of them out but I really don't care if there's little bits in my chassis...........what am I going to hear them over the exhaust .......I think not ;D
[/quote]

You'll hear them sliding around when cornering when you're not on the throttle, just like I do.  I'm thinking of injecting some expandable foam or something similar into several of the holes (I put screws in them instead of re-riveting) to capture the loose rivet pieces because the noise kinda bugs me.
Image 300hp Ecotec Atom that is driven.  Visit my website.

Terry Kennedy

Post by Terry Kennedy » Fri Jun 05, 2009 7:26 am

[quote="Lane"]
I'm thinking of injecting some expandable foam or something similar into several of the holes.
[/quote]

Expanding foam is a real nuisance. Plus, it isn't sunlight, fuel, or vibration resistant. I'd suggest using silicone instead.

Driver

Post by Driver » Fri Jun 05, 2009 7:58 am

Live with the noise. Silicone would just add weight. :)

Karl

Post by Karl » Fri Jun 05, 2009 8:00 am

[quote="Driver"]
Live with the noise. Silicone would just add weight. :)
[/quote]

Just call them the "ghosts in the shell"... they're what make the Atom magical.

silver

Post by silver » Fri Jun 05, 2009 2:45 pm

I'll be working on it tonight if you want to come by, actually since I'm planning on receiving my purge tank today I'm going to be installing / fabing up that bracket before replacing the firewall.

I took Positron's advice to drill out the heads with a 1/8th bit, and luckily for me, if you drill it at an angle and not dead on, it grabs the head and rips it right off every single one.

This allows the shaft to remain mostly in tact, then with wire cutters they were sharp but dull enough not to cut through the shaft and bent it enough out of shape to pull out the inside portion of the rivet.

the only thing we learned is instead of trying to drill through the shaft of the rivet, just concentrate on getting the head to pop off....and you'll have a cleaner shaft to work with for removal.

Some of ours in the beginning we drillied all the way through the shaft, there was no saving them, but through our process we figured out that holding the drill at a bad angle actually made things much easier and cleaner.

Karl

Post by Karl » Fri Jun 05, 2009 5:20 pm

That's why I replaced them with slightly larger O-rings.  Larger range of hole sizes, and an order of magnitude cheaper.

silver

Post by silver » Fri Jun 05, 2009 7:13 pm

OK I think I've gotten the sock dilema sorted out......I'm sure one of you guys will tell me I'm an idiot but, here goes.

We have already determined you can get a replacement inner sock from NAPA STS-46,

I purchased the NAPA STS-2 which is similar in size to the original lowest sock.  It just so happens that 1/2" fuel line will fit around the outer diameter of the inlet to the bottom of the white can, and fits very snuggly to the inner diameter of the STS 2 sock.  As long as there's about 1/4" or so extra height in the tank for me to remount this pump assembly (which I think that is why it's on springs) it should work no problem.

Unless one or all of you guys are going to call me an idiot for using fuel line inside the tank?  Am I being dumb, or smart?

bolus

Post by bolus » Fri Jun 05, 2009 7:20 pm

The fuel lines in the tank have to be special hose to not dissovle with the fuel (see gasket issue above :) )

The sock should be righ up against the bottom so that you are at the deepest level in the tank or you are ging to have fuel starvation issues earlier than expected.  you also want it nice a snug so that it wont fall off after hours of vibration

silver

Post by silver » Fri Jun 05, 2009 7:30 pm

[quote="bolus"]
The fuel lines in the tank have to be special hose to not dissovle with the fuel (see gasket issue above :) )

The sock should be righ up against the bottom so that you are at the deepest level in the tank or you are ging to have fuel starvation issues earlier than expected.  you also want it nice a snug so that it wont fall off after hours of vibration
[/quote]

so what you are saying is fuel lines aren't the same as special fuel lines?  I'm confused, I asked the Napa guy for something that could be submerged in fuel  he knew what I was using it for so I think he used his best judgement.

As for fitment, it's super tight, honestly will be better fitting then stock.

But as far as being special fuel line, that I will have to research what he gave me

line says XL fuel line SAE30R7

silver

Post by silver » Fri Jun 05, 2009 7:32 pm

the code 30R7 looks like it's safe for fuel by what I can find on the net.....made from nitrile

Terry Kennedy

Post by Terry Kennedy » Fri Jun 05, 2009 7:34 pm

[quote="silver"]
so what you are saying is fuel lines aren't the same as special fuel lines?  I'm confused, I asked the Napa guy for something that could be submerged in fuel  he knew what I was using it for so I think he used his best judgement.[/quote]

The issue is that normal fuel lines are designed to keep fuel in, and may not react well to fuel on the outer surface or to intermediate layers, which are usually some sort of weave for strength. With the whole line in the tank, both the outside and both end cuts are exposed.