Check Fuel Tank Gaskets - Some deteriorate

Terry Kennedy

Re: Check Fuel Tank Gaskets - Some deteriorate

Post by Terry Kennedy » Sun Jun 28, 2009 11:12 pm

[quote="bolus"]
Thanks for the input and emails with pics.  I have a different setup that all you guys.  I guess the clue may be the oval shaped 12 screw (I think) filler.[/quote]

I think that's the same style that I have:

[img width=512 height=600]http://www.tmk.com/transient/6F5S6770-s.jpg[/img]

1965Cobra427

Post by 1965Cobra427 » Fri Jul 03, 2009 7:02 pm

[quote="Terry Kennedy"]
FYI - this eBay listing is for a complete fuel pump / sender / filter assembly for $124.95. I asked the seller if it included the pump strainer and he said that both were included, so I ordered one. If this is indeed new and contains everything from the strainer through the filter, it is a steal of a deal. The seller also states there is a 1 year GM warranty with paperwork included.

Note that the part numbers changed between the 2005 and 2006 model year Cobalt SS - in 2005 the pump/sender was one combined part number, and in 2006 there are separate part numbers for the pump and sender. So this may or may not fit your Atom.

The only reason I can see for this collection of parts to exist new in a batch of 15 is that this was a repair kit used as part of a recall. But that's just a guess...

I'll report back once it arrives.
[/quote]

I replaced my fuel filler gasket today with a new one I cut from viton sheet. Worked great. As I was removing the pump, on the first pull, the return line fitting broke off the upper plate of the assembly.  :doh: I ordered a new assembly from e-Bay based on Terry's post. Oh, the gasket was fine . . .  :doh:  :doh:

Karl

Post by Karl » Fri Jul 03, 2009 7:19 pm

[quote="1965Cobra427"]
[quote="Terry Kennedy"]
FYI - this eBay listing is for a complete fuel pump / sender / filter assembly for $124.95. I asked the seller if it included the pump strainer and he said that both were included, so I ordered one. If this is indeed new and contains everything from the strainer through the filter, it is a steal of a deal. The seller also states there is a 1 year GM warranty with paperwork included.

Note that the part numbers changed between the 2005 and 2006 model year Cobalt SS - in 2005 the pump/sender was one combined part number, and in 2006 there are separate part numbers for the pump and sender. So this may or may not fit your Atom.

The only reason I can see for this collection of parts to exist new in a batch of 15 is that this was a repair kit used as part of a recall. But that's just a guess...

I'll report back once it arrives.
[/quote]

I replaced my fuel filler gasket today with a new one I cut from viton sheet. Worked great. As I was removing the pump, on the first pull, the return line fitting broke off the upper plate of the assembly.  :doh: I ordered a new assembly from e-Bay based on Terry's post. Oh, the gasket was fine . . .  :doh:  :doh:
[/quote]

Don't forget to check the individual screw gaskets for deterioration!

Lane

Post by Lane » Sat Jul 04, 2009 6:31 pm

Finally got around to cutting my old filter open, but it didn't look too bad.  Makes sense since it was mostly larger pieces that I found in my tank.

Image 300hp Ecotec Atom that is driven.  Visit my website.

Heywood-Yablowme

Post by Heywood-Yablowme » Sat Jul 04, 2009 8:52 pm

I wouldn't think any substantial particles would pass through the tank strainer.Good thing!

Heywood-Yablowme

Post by Heywood-Yablowme » Sun Jul 05, 2009 8:50 pm

Chassis #121 (aka Goldfinger) upgraded to the new TMIATI fuel inlet gasket.
If anyone thinks their car may not have a problem..take a look at one of the last brammo Atoms assembled old gasket..yucko!

Two down,one more to do! ;)

Last edited by Heywood-Yablowme on Sun Jul 05, 2009 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

positron

Post by positron » Sun Aug 02, 2009 7:27 pm

[quote="silver"]
.by disconnecting it you do not have to try to pry off the brown translucent hose
[/quote]

Any leads on where to get these hose(s)?

positron

Post by positron » Sun Aug 02, 2009 7:54 pm

Thanks, I forgot about them, that's where I got my pump..  :tu:

Radowick

Post by Radowick » Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:48 am

A few months ago I replaced only the fuel filler tube gasket with a Viton gasket. I didn't replace the fuel pump gasket then in hope that it was not in as bad a shape, and wouldn't require me to replace it too. I don't believe that the pump gasket is as exposed to fuel as the filler gasket is,............. but, my pump gasket is now showing easy to see cracks at its' outside edges. I am going to take that to mean that it is probably worse on the inside edges that are exposed to fuel.

Heywood-Yablowme

Post by Heywood-Yablowme » Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:15 pm

^Not good news. :P  I was hoping brammo used the factory gasket on the pump module. I guess not.

Terry Kennedy

Post by Terry Kennedy » Thu Dec 03, 2009 12:20 am

[quote="MadMaxAtom and company"]
^Not good news. :P  I was hoping brammo used the factory gasket on the pump module. I guess not.
[/quote]

The GM "factory gasket" is an O ring - the Aveo/Cobalt pump mounts very differently than the way it is used in an Atom.

Karl

Post by Karl » Thu Dec 03, 2009 12:25 am

As I recently learned, it seems that it's not just Brammo that's incapable of specifying the correct gasket material... BMW is under fire as well for using oil/heat-incompatible Buna-N in gaskets for their variable valve control unit: http://beisansystems.com/

Radowick

Post by Radowick » Thu Dec 31, 2009 10:13 pm

Today, I finally pulled the seat, drilled out the firewall, and moved all cables & wiring out of the way to get the fuel pump out. My lower strainer was not too black but it had lots of aluminum shavings stuck to the bottom of it as well as on the top of it where it is pinned to the bottom of the basket. Thanks Brammo again.

Radowick

Post by Radowick » Sat Jan 02, 2010 3:01 pm

I got a FS-216 strainer at O'Reily's Auto parts to put on the outside of the fuel pump bucket. It has a differant type of locking tab than the stock strainer. To make it seat all the way onto the port, I will have to rotate so the the sock portion is no longer trapped under the bucket and it will not not be locked into postion keeping it from rotating. Is this important that it be under the bucket? The strainer fits onto the port real tight so I would think there is not much chance any fuel sloshing around could free it up, so what else could the locking tab be for, especially since connection and port is still trapped under the bucket?
Last edited by Radowick on Sun Jan 03, 2010 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.