Check Fuel Tank Gaskets - Some deteriorate

Terry Kennedy

Re: Check Fuel Tank Gaskets - Some deteriorate

Post by Terry Kennedy » Sat Jun 06, 2009 8:18 am

[quote="silver"]
also got safety washers installed on the steering arms.  They are available in grade 8 5/16" fits the 3/8" bolt go figure, for ONE DOLLAR for 4, which leaves me with 2 extra.
[/quote]

Was the existing 2.5" bolt long enough to accomodate the added thickness of the safety washer while keeping all of the other parts? I decided to order some 2.75" and 3" bolts for experimentation. The other thing is that it isn't a good idea to re-use Nylock fasteners as they lose some holding power each time they're re-used.

DarthChicken

Post by DarthChicken » Sat Jun 06, 2009 4:22 pm

When I put the safety washers on mine, I removed the top washer, replaced it with the safety washer, and when all assemblied the bolt just BARELY peaks out the bottom of the nut. 

Instead of using a longer bolt (which may or may not have been necessary) I put some blue locktite on the bolt, and re-used the nylon lock nut. 

silver

Post by silver » Sat Jun 06, 2009 10:02 pm

Same as Darth said.

not to be rude but back on topic.

I'm done with re-assembly except for putting the firewall back in which i'm waiting on the rivnuts to arrive.

Car fired right up ....honestly I was very surprised b/c I spend all day today trying to fit the "Eddie Surge Tank mod" and it fought me all day.

Once I finished with the surge tank, she fired right up no leaks no problems......................................so far.

Karl

Post by Karl » Sat Jun 06, 2009 10:52 pm

[quote="silver"]
Same as Darth said.

not to be rude but back on topic.

I'm done with re-assembly except for putting the firewall back in which i'm waiting on the rivnuts to arrive.

Car fired right up ....honestly I was very surprised b/c I spend all day today trying to fit the "Eddie Surge Tank mod" and it fought me all day.

Once I finished with the surge tank, she fired right up no leaks no problems......................................so far.
[/quote]

It's always nice when car projects go "as planned". :)

silver

Post by silver » Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:06 pm

I posted a temp thread about my fuel gauge not working but due to the results I've deleted that thread and will post here.

Be sure you remount your pump in the same orientation as I came out, meaning fuel lines parallel to the tank or your fuel gauge won't work.

I originally mounted it with the fuel lines pointed towards the back of the car by one mounting hole counter clockwise.

bolus

Post by bolus » Sun Jun 07, 2009 11:31 pm

Yeah, that float needs to move up and down to let you know how much fuel is in there :)

silver

Post by silver » Sun Jun 07, 2009 11:32 pm

Yes thanks captain obvious

bolus

Post by bolus » Sun Jun 07, 2009 11:56 pm

Here I come to save the Daaaay

Karl

Post by Karl » Mon Jun 08, 2009 12:36 am

There are actually locator tabs on the pump that go into slots in the tank... if your pump isn't self-locating, then your gasket may be too thick.

silver

Post by silver » Mon Jun 08, 2009 1:30 am

Those slots only served one purpose, chewing up the original gasket, my new gasket is slightly less thick then the original, I also replaced the filler neck gasket so they are both the same.

Heywood-Yablowme

Post by Heywood-Yablowme » Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:52 pm

Just did my inlet gasket.What a suck ass place to work...

......my handy-dandy carb adjusting tool worked out nicely for those well placed screws ::)!

Yup,the gasket was gonzo...but no debris in the tank..Image

BIG thanks to Eddie for catching this problem :tu: 

One car down...two more to go.... :P

silver

Post by silver » Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:55 pm

I used a flexible drill thingy.....it reached every screw no problem, just had to move the wiring/ cables out of the way.

You caught that in the nick of time Mark, as you said 2 more to go!!!!!!!!!!

silver

Post by silver » Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:19 pm

I mentioned this in the seat removal thread but it pertains here as well.

depending how you plan on re-installing your firewall for me I need to remove the seats.

Initially I was scared to remove the seats cuz the recaro seat removal thread makes it sound impossible and a very long task

I used this part

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/D ... mber=94495

removed the seat in 10 minutes as I already had removed the 4 bolts for the center console, I just pulled that out first then removed the 4 seat bolts.  The 12 mm wrench from this cheap tool set works well for all 4 bolts with it's angles.

I have not put the seats back in yet..............so that may take me 3 hours :D  we'll see.

Heywood-Yablowme

Post by Heywood-Yablowme » Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:02 am

The fuel tank and fuel pump inaccessibility is not something I like. Not for a track car anyways..needs to be easily swapped out. Things happen.

I am SO tempted to put a 15 gallon fuel cell right where a passenger would sit,and an inline fuel pump. To hell with a guage.

If no one was sitting there,that sure frees up a LOT of valuable space...for other things..hmm. ;D 

Not to add more stuff..just a relocation of critical components.
Last edited by Heywood-Yablowme on Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

silver

Post by silver » Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:21 am

[quote="Curator"]
The fuel tank and fuel pump inaccessibility is not something I like. Not for a track car anyways..needs to be easily swapped out. Things happen.

I am SO tempted to put a 15 gallon fuel cell right where a passenger would sit,and an inline fuel pump. To hell with a guage.

If no one was sitting there,that sure frees up a LOT of valuable space...for other things..hmm. ;D 

Not to add more stuff..just a relocation of critical components.

[/quote]

I'm sure fuel cells are safe and all but having one in the passenger seat.....while not really any closer then the existing tank but at least it would feel closer then "safe"