Check Fuel Tank Gaskets - Some deteriorate

Radowick

Re: Check Fuel Tank Gaskets - Some deteriorate

Post by Radowick » Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:54 am

I put my fuel pump back in yesterday and found that Brammo used the same length screws for the pump flange as they did for my filler neck flange, even though the pump flange is a good bit thicker. The screws going thru the pump flange only engaged a few threads in the tank. So I swapped them out with slightly longer ones. Stripping out a threaded hole inside that tank flange would be a real pain in the Atom to repair.

Hellooo Newman

Post by Hellooo Newman » Wed Oct 06, 2010 5:18 pm

For those of you who have changed out the fuel filler and fuel pump gaskets, were both the gaskets bad, deteriorating and contributing to the problem or was it only the filler gasket?
I'm asking because changing out the filler gasket is much easier than the fuel pump gasket.

silver

Post by silver » Wed Oct 06, 2010 5:23 pm

both on mine but the fuel pump to a much lesser degree.

Here's the thing to consider

If your neck gasket has failed, YOU MUST pull your pump and replace the socks.

If you neck gasket has not failed and you replace it in time, then your socks are probably clean and I would NOT bother pulling the pump b/c it didn't really deteriorate like the neck side b/c it was not cut incorrectly.

On the neck side they cut only a hole big enough for the neck so it's like a large disc 4 inch diameter with a small hole cut out, when the tank is full the fuel pulls the excess gasket down and turns it into mush.

On the pump side the gasket is trimmed back far enough that it doesn't dip down into the fuel so this is really not such a problem.

If you never fill your gas tank up or never leave your car sitting with a full tank the deterioration will take much much longer to become a problem...whoops.

Karl

Post by Karl » Wed Oct 06, 2010 5:47 pm

Echoing what Silver said. If the filler gasket is bad, you have to pull the pump, so you may as well replace the pump gasket.

Lane

Post by Lane » Thu Oct 07, 2010 6:27 am

[quote="Hellooo Newman"]
For those of you who have changed out the fuel filler and fuel pump gaskets, were both the gaskets bad, deteriorating and contributing to the problem or was it only the filler gasket?
[/quote]

My filler gasket had started to break down.  Many large (pencil eraser size) chunks were in the tank but not a lot of small ones were.  My pump pickup screens weren't very dirty.

Conversely, my pump gasket was in pristine condition.
Image 300hp Ecotec Atom that is driven.  Visit my website.

silver

Post by silver » Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:39 am

Either run the car damn near out of gas OR siphon the fuel out....remove the filler neck completely, stick a camera in the hole and take pics of the filter screens....I did this and that's how I knew they were F'd......but it will also tell you if they are clean like Lane's..in which case I'd never pull the pump...what a pain in the BUTT

FourFather

Post by FourFather » Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:39 pm

FourFather Eddie Hill's Viton gaskets are holding up fine, four years after installation, problem solved. :vroom: :checkeredflag:

Eddie ;D