Brammo Spa Dash Water Temp quesiton (not already asked)

bolus

Re: Brammo Spa Dash Water Temp quesiton (not already asked)

Post by bolus » Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:34 pm

you dont have the grounding problem (temp increases when you turn on your lights), I just like to hear myself type :)

silver

Post by silver » Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:36 pm

[quote="bolus"]
you dont have the grounding problem (temp increases when you turn on your lights), I just like to hear myself type :)
[/quote]

haha ok back to my original plan.....do nothing ;D

DarthChicken

Post by DarthChicken » Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:46 pm

its not the sensor, its the dash.  I think a more important question may be - where is the ground for the dash, and who has "fixed it", and what were the results?

silver

Post by silver » Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:47 pm

[quote="DarthChicken"]
its not the sensor, its the dash.  I think a more important question may be - where is the ground for the dash, and who has "fixed it", and what were the results?
[/quote]

ok but again I'm going to mention no other display or part of my dash changes or resets or looks like its losing power...........only the WT gauge.

DarthChicken

Post by DarthChicken » Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:50 pm

Exactly the same as mine. 

edit:  the ground for the sensor is the sensor itself.  Its a single wire sensor.
Last edited by DarthChicken on Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bolus

Post by bolus » Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:57 pm

[quote="DarthChicken"]
[/quote]

Tom fixed mine doing what ever he did to all my wiring

silver

Post by silver » Thu Mar 19, 2009 12:43 am

[quote="DarthChicken"]
Exactly the same as mine. 

edit:  the ground for the sensor is the sensor itself.  Its a single wire sensor.
[/quote]

ok my point is how do we know the sensor isn't the problem.....sending weird info to the dash.....making it go to -57

i guess those of you out there that can moitor the WT with and OBDII gauge could answer that question right?

DarthChicken

Post by DarthChicken » Thu Mar 19, 2009 1:10 am

The temp on the OBD-II is not from the same sensor.  There is a water temp sensor on the passenger front of the engine that the ECU uses for running the engine properly.

The sensor the dash uses is the one near the exhaust.

benyeats

Post by benyeats » Thu Mar 19, 2009 9:45 am

[quote="DarthChicken"]
The temp on the OBD-II is not from the same sensor.  There is a water temp sensor on the passenger front of the engine that the ECU uses for running the engine properly.

The sensor the dash uses is the one near the exhaust.
[/quote]

Yep most cars have two sensors one for the dash indicator and one for the ECU, always seemed kind of inefficent to me but seems to be a common set up, guess it makes integrating different dashes and ECUs simpler.

Ground for the dash is a small wire on the back of the dash round one of the screws that attaches the back panel of the dash, I don't really think it is good enough although seems to have been ok for me.  Easy upgrade would be to add another couple of wires to the other mounting screws.

Ben

Terry Kennedy

Post by Terry Kennedy » Thu Mar 19, 2009 10:39 am

[quote="benyeats"]
Yep most cars have two sensors one for the dash indicator and one for the ECU, always seemed kind of inefficent to me but seems to be a common set up, guess it makes integrating different dashes and ECUs simpler.

Ground for the dash is a small wire on the back of the dash round one of the screws that attaches the back panel of the dash, I don't really think it is good enough although seems to have been ok for me.  Easy upgrade would be to add another couple of wires to the other mounting screws.
[/quote]

On mass-production cars a duplicate sensor serves as the "idiot light" in the event of one of the sensors malfunctioning.

The official ground connection on the SPA dash is pin 5 of the main connector. Note that while pin 2 is also ground, it is reserved for the shield of the tach pickup lead:

[img width=425 height=600]http://www.tmk.com/transient/SPA_Dash_Connections.jpg[/img]

benyeats

Post by benyeats » Thu Mar 19, 2009 10:44 am

[quote="Terry Kennedy"]
[quote="benyeats"]

[/quote]

On mass-production cars a duplicate sensor serves as the "idiot light" in the event of one of the sensors malfunctioning.

The official ground connection on the SPA dash is pin 5 of the main connector. Note that while pin 2 is also ground, it is reserved for the shield of the tach pickup lead:

[img width=425 height=600]http://www.tmk.com/transient/SPA_Dash_Connections.jpg[/img]
[/quote]

The install on my car has a supplimentary ground provided by the wire I described.  Now I think about it the Pin 2 gnd is probably what was improved when I rewired my car hence the lights / temp interaction going away !

I agree having two sensors provides redundancy, but this technique is not repeated elsewhere in a car's engine, I know coolant is fairly critical but so is oil level for instance.

Ben

Terry Kennedy

Post by Terry Kennedy » Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:03 am

[quote="benyeats"]
I agree having two sensors provides redundancy, but this technique is not repeated elsewhere in a car's engine, I know coolant is fairly critical but so is oil level for instance.[/quote]

The engine/car doesn't need to monitor oil* - it is happy as long as there is some. On a car with an electric radiator fan (pretty much anything recent), the engine management needs to know the water temperature so it can control the radiator fan.

* Well, except for recent BMWs which have promoted this to an engine management function by removing the dipstick.