GM's fault codes for Brammo Atom

bolus

Re: GM's fault codes for Brammo Atom

Post by bolus » Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:08 pm

Maybe, but there doesn't seem to be anything in the fuse box that is that specific. They're listed as things like "Power Train" and "ECU". I'd expect one of those being blown to impact far more systems in the car than just the MAF. However... there are inline fuses in some hidden parts of the wiring harness. For example, I found one under the harness electrical tape when I unwrapped the harness behind the instrument cluster to fish out the check engine light wire
You double checked all the fuses right?

silver

Post by silver » Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:15 pm

yes double checked all fuses, of course I can't check the black boxes but the fuses have all been double checked.

DarthChicken

Post by DarthChicken » Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:29 pm

try unplugging and replugging in your throttle body maybe?  You're fuel pump kicking on?  Check your plugs... got spark, got fuel (are the plugs wet with fuel after not starting for a while?)

silver

Post by silver » Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:37 pm

1:  I can't tell how to unplug the throttle body b/c the plug is underneath, do I just press in on the sides?
2:  my water injection should purge upon turning on the throttle and it doesn't but everything else works and I can't find a blown fuse for that(actually can't find the fuse at all yet)
3:  how do I know if the fuel pump is kicking on?  I do hear 1 click upon turning the ignition switch to the on position coming from the front of the car
4:  i'll pull a spark plug and let you know EDIT checked plug, clean no fuel)
Last edited by silver on Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bolus

Post by bolus » Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:39 pm

but you can still start the car?

silver

Post by silver » Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:42 pm

[quote="bolus"]
but you can still start the car?
[/quote]

nope the car hasn't started since it died this morning....nothing I do will start the car...like you mentioned the throttle body isn't "clicking" when you turn the ignition on therefore it would make sense that it won't start b/c the throttle body isnt' opening....at least it's a thought...but the throttle body should rest in a slightly open position I thought.

bolus

Post by bolus » Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:44 pm

is your battery dead?

silver

Post by silver » Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:45 pm

Battery is good to go

silver

Post by silver » Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:03 am

as a reminder this occurred as I unplugged the scanner while the car was running and then the car just died.

I have unplugged scanner while car was running before and nothing bad happened

the car tries to start but won't turn over and keep running.

throttle body not doing it's "click" upon turning the ignition switch to on anymore
Last edited by silver on Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Terry Kennedy

Post by Terry Kennedy » Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:10 am

[quote="silver"]
[nope the car hasn't started since it died this morning....nothing I do will start the car...like you mentioned the throttle body isn't "clicking" when you turn the ignition on therefore it would make sense that it won't start b/c the throttle body isnt' opening....at least it's a thought...but the throttle body should rest in a slightly open position I thought.
[/quote]

Can you describe "won't start" in more detail? Does the engine crank? If it cranks, does it sputter and sound like it is trying to start?

When you turn the ignition switch on, you should get the "plink-thup" sound of the throttle body actuator flapping. After that, when you do the secret ritual with the fob (hiya, Bruce!) do you here the whizz-pish of the fuel pump kicking on? If it cranks but absolutely doesn't sound like it is trying to run, is it possible there's a problem with the P0230 workaround we tried to do? Check for loose or improperly connected wires up near the fuse box (you know where I mean).

silver

Post by silver » Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:14 am

there is no plink thump of the throttle body, I currently have the intake off I can verify it's not moving at all when I turn the ignition switch to on

The engine cranks just like normal but will NOT turn over to start, as if I was out of gas (but I just filled up)

the code p2101 is on and will clear with a scanner UNTIL i turn the ignition switch off and on then it's instantly back to p2101.

To me it makes sense that unplugging the scanner while the car was running must have popped a hidden fuse, or ruined the ecu or throttle body or some other electronic component...but I have a spare ecu which doesn't do anything different so I'm going to rule out the ecu from being the problem for now.

Terry Kennedy

Post by Terry Kennedy » Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:38 am

[quote="silver"]
there is no plink thump of the throttle body, I currently have the intake off I can verify it's not moving at all when I turn the ignition switch to on

The engine cranks just like normal but will NOT turn over to start, as if I was out of gas (but I just filled up)

the code p2101 is on and will clear with a scanner UNTIL i turn the ignition switch off and on then it's instantly back to p2101.

To me it makes sense that unplugging the scanner while the car was running must have popped a hidden fuse, or ruined the ecu or throttle body or some other electronic component...but I have a spare ecu which doesn't do anything different so I'm going to rule out the ecu from being the problem for now.
[/quote]

The OBDII port is designed for very rough service - after all, it is what the inspection station flunkies use when they test your car. Further, the actual data bus that is important to the car (the CAN bus) isn't present on the OBDII connector in the Atom.

Does the fuel pump activate when you use the keyfob?

I'd like to point out that anyone working on an Atom engine should acquire the engine manual and possibly the transmission manual. Even if the Atom owner can't make sense of these manuals, they will be useful to an independent mechanic or just a more-mechanically-inclined friend.

The P2101 is covered on pages 6-1224 through 6-1227. This is probably the same info that was in the documents posted in this thread. Most of those tests require a simple 12V test lamp. A couple require an inexpensive digital multimeter.

Another simple test is to see if you still have power at the OBDII connector. Pin 5 is ground and pin 16 is +12V (more like 13.5, usually).

silver

Post by silver » Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:58 am

UPDATE!

I was trying to find out why the water injection stopped working (simultaneously as the car not starting and the throttle body not working)

I moved some wires around behind the guage cluster, and didn't disconnect anything and the water injection pump started working again WTF..

guess what...the throttle body started clicking again...

guess what...the car starts and purrs like a kitten..

guess what I'm even more concerned now b/c whatever wires are behind the guage cluster are somehow related to this problem and I want to know what the heck is going on.

My water injection is connected to the MAF by one wire, that is a possible clue, but how this ties into my car dying when I unplugged the OBDII port I do not know.

Can anyone tell me what wiring behind the guage cluster could give me these problems. I do have my own things wired in there and I unplugged the fuses and plugged them back in and everything started working again....but these fuses are to an LED light, radar detector, and headlights which were all working the entire time so I can't understand the relation.

bolus

Post by bolus » Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:08 am

So you moved the harness right behind the dash?  That sounds like where the problem should be.  How much chopping did you do when you installed your check engine light?  Those plugs on the back of the dash are pretty easily pulled out too.  make sure they are all attached

silver

Post by silver » Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:22 am

no chopping to plug the MIL in, that was too simple, both wires are already run from Brammo, I just connected them.

I agree with you about maybe something got tugged on a little, so here's my question for Terry or anyone else

What up front could cause this issue by tugging on it.

OBDII plug (I think Terry's explaining this is a NO) but he went over my head a little with his explanation
Guage cluster wiring (I have no idea, if you unplug the dash would the car still start?
The one wire connecting my MAF to the water injection controller box (personally installed in the same area)
the other things I have wired back there are my headlights radar detector and an LED light all fused and all remained working through this ordeal.