GM's fault codes for Brammo Atom

Heywood-Yablowme

Re: GM's fault codes for Brammo Atom

Post by Heywood-Yablowme » Wed Mar 11, 2009 7:29 pm

:pop:

bolus

Post by bolus » Wed Mar 11, 2009 7:31 pm

There is no memory in the ECU once you disconnect the battery.  if the way you hooked up the WI was the fault it would have caused it all along. 

silver

Post by silver » Wed Mar 11, 2009 7:39 pm

[quote="bolus"]
There is no memory in the ECU once you disconnect the battery.  if the way you hooked up the WI was the fault it would have caused it all along. 
[/quote]

I don't think you understood me....I meant to say my theory is that the security system has a memory not the ECU.  so my theory is even though I disconnected the battery for 10 minutes at a time...err something like that I can't remember...upon plugging it back in, the security system still thought the car was being stolen therefore continued to shut down the car as soon as the ignition switch was set to on.

it's a theory.

water injection was installed correctly and the only reason it ceased to operate during this dead time was because it operates based off of electrical impulses from the MAF....and my theory is since the security system shut down the car, there was no info going to/from the MAF.

come to think of it Bolus, I bet it's the wire from the antenna on the security system that's at fault. ( I think i cut it on accident and reattached it back in the day.....going to check for that tonight!

Terry Kennedy

Post by Terry Kennedy » Wed Mar 11, 2009 7:58 pm

[quote="silver"]
I don't think you understood me....I meant to say my theory is that the security system has a memory not the ECU.  so my theory is even though I disconnected the battery for 10 minutes at a time...err something like that I can't remember...upon plugging it back in, the security system still thought the car was being stolen therefore continued to shut down the car as soon as the ignition switch was set to on.

come to think of it Bolus, I bet it's the wire from the antenna on the security system that's at fault. ( I think i cut it on accident and reattached it back in the day.....going to check for that tonight!
[/quote]

Nope, no long-term memory in the security system. Just a short-interval timer that allows re-starts without the magic ritual if within 90 seconds or so of stopping (to deal with "being stalled on the railroad tracks with a train coming" panic situations).

A loose / disconnected antenna wire could definitely lead to problems. But I believe the throttle body will still burp when the ignition is switched on.

silver

Post by silver » Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:03 pm

ok thanks for the info.........at least it's a place to start!!!  and considering I faintly remember cutting those back in the day when I misunderstood your directions I could totally be at fault for a loose wire.

ps it would also somewhat correlate with this problem of the limp mode/ p2101 code occuring upon startup when it does occur...don't you think?
Last edited by silver on Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bolus

Post by bolus » Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:06 pm

Dude!  I asked if you cut any wires up there :)  I bet you problem is in the wiring behind the dash.  If you wiggle the wires and it fixed the problem then there is definitely something wrong there. 

silver

Post by silver » Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:19 pm

[quote="bolus"]
Dude!  I asked if you cut any wires up there :)  I bet you problem is in the wiring behind the dash.  If you wiggle the wires and it fixed the problem then there is definitely something wrong there. 
[/quote]

DOOD I just remembered....lol

I tried wiggling the wires again (not specifically the antennae wires) and the problem didn't come back..BUT now that I'm focusing on the antenna wires I'll give them a tug specifically and see if I can get it to duplicate.

bolus

Post by bolus » Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:28 pm

dont tug too hard!! and dont use your teeth!!  that is never good. 

it took me about an hour to remove and replace the tape up there.  Sounds like if you cant find anything you should strip it down to check everything. 

Heywood-Yablowme

Post by Heywood-Yablowme » Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:47 pm

....and dont use your teeth!!

Hehehe! Very funny. ;D

:pop:

silver

Post by silver » Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:34 pm

BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

silver

Post by silver » Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:30 pm

well.........the car's put back together, couldn't find any issues in wiring, car drives just fine.  I'll just have to keep an eye out.  Put the Brammo ECU back in because for me I'm safer removing the p2101 code from the "kill me" zone and making my car a little less likely to strand me somewhere.

ps I hope I get me ecu back soon b/c the car is slow as hell with the Brammo "300 fix" ecu...but it does drive really smoothly, I'll give them props for that.