steering column bushing 1 year ish update

silver

steering column bushing 1 year ish update

Post by silver » Sat Mar 07, 2009 10:01 pm

so it's been somewhere's around a year since I put the new bushing in the steering rack.....a few of us did that.

Mine squeaked since day one, while turning the wheel from TDC left about 30 degrees or right 30 degrees it squeaked and I did nothing about it until 2 days ago.....so I decided to add some lubricant to the bushing to see if I could get it to quiet down since the volume of the squeak was loud enough to hear over the engine it made me feel like my car was ghetto.

results.....my steering squeak is completely gone and the force required to turn the wheel almost feels like power steering.....ok well not really, but I'll be damned that I lived with that for like a year especially because my steering wheel took two hands to turn (while driving) before and now it turns with ease with one hand.

SO MUCH BETTER

so I'm curious any of you that also changed this bushing out, did you guys have any problems with squeaking or increased steering effort?

ps changing my bushing didn't remove the slack in the wheel during up and down motion or turning left and right it's the same as before (because they had to use a lathe to remove .5mm or something like that from the outer diameter to get it to fit, and I think it needed only .25mm removed for it to fit, but it was the least amount of material they could remove.

Heywood-Yablowme

Re: steering column bushing 1 year ish update

Post by Heywood-Yablowme » Sat Mar 07, 2009 10:14 pm

I'm putting a power electric rack out of an S2000 in my Atom ;)

dingo

Post by dingo » Sat Mar 07, 2009 10:15 pm

Rather than using a lathe to remove material fromthe drive shaft, I attached a brake hone device to my slow speed battery powered drill and used that with liberal amounts of cutting oil to remove just enough from the inside bore of the Oilite bushing for a great fit.  

A trick I figured out by accident:  
By removing just enough towards the end of the bushing that goes onto the drive shaft first and making sure it test fit progressively more and more, and using the brake hone deeper, deeper ensured that I only took enough material away.  It's been smooth as silk and free turning ever since and I've recommended adoption of the full oilite bushing to the factory repeatedly.
Disadvatnage of this method?  It took f o r e v e r .......  The brake hone takes away the smallest amounts using ceramic cutting blocks on a spring loaded spline that pushes outwards to the bore of the bushing.

f o r e v e r

silver

Post by silver » Sat Mar 07, 2009 10:16 pm

interesting...why do you want to go power on the atom?

actually which atom is a better question

McFred

Post by McFred » Sat Mar 07, 2009 10:25 pm

I think he's pulling your leg.

Heywood-Yablowme

Post by Heywood-Yablowme » Sat Mar 07, 2009 10:27 pm

Almost same weight,NO fatigue.Could be win-win. Hey,I get tired toward the end of a day or two on track,hustling around.
I plan on doing some 500 mile days on track this year.(got a couple in last year with the other car) It's about the only thing I would change about my car...just a little power assist on the steering. The S2000 setup is ideal;light and compact,with good feedback. I know the steering is only going to be heavier with the big tires. I have been thinking about it...but have not got much past the experimental stage.(I have an S2000 PS rack sitting in my shop..) It is possible,though. I will see how this year goes without it.  If it kicks the crap out of me,I will persue it further.

Just thought I would bust you a bit about power steering... ;)
Last edited by Heywood-Yablowme on Sat Mar 07, 2009 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

silver

Post by silver » Sat Mar 07, 2009 10:28 pm

[quote="McFred"]
[/quote]

D'oh :D

McFred

Post by McFred » Sat Mar 07, 2009 10:42 pm

Heh, I guess he was serious; you were right!  :D

dingo

Post by dingo » Sun Mar 08, 2009 12:36 am

If it's long distances and reduced steering fatigue, penne pasta arms (oops) Sorry, Didn't mean to write that.
Simple.  Get a slightly larger steering wheel. I think mine had come with a 790mm.
So as to allow room for fingers and the microdash together, I replaced the original with a a 320mm steering wheel. 
It makes a WORLD of difference. On long distances, track days.
I got mine undrilled and had to drill to fit the QR fitting.
Got it off the Internet, it's "Personal" brand like Brammo used.
I would give this a four star upgrade rating.  Not enough people know about it. 
If will clear your knees, then do it.
Last edited by dingo on Sun Mar 08, 2009 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lane

Post by Lane » Sun Mar 08, 2009 1:52 am

When I installed mine, I wrapped a scotchbrite pad around a drill bit (compressable), and placed sandpaper around that.  I ran that through the bushing to hone the inside to the size it needed to be.  Took some time, but got the shaft fit to be absolutely perfect.  I used some light oil to lubricate prior to installing, and it has been smooth as butter since.  No squeaking at all, no lateral slop at all either, and a noticeable improvement over the stock plastic bushings.  Still feels just as good as the day I installed it, and I've got around 3500 miles and a few track days on it since.

When I got my car from the factory, I noticed that the wheel didn't have the same tendency as most cars to re-center the wheel after turning/cornering.  The driver had to do it completely.  After replacing this bushing, it now seems more like a 'normal' car in that it does tend toward re-centering itself.
Image 300hp Ecotec Atom that is driven.  Visit my website.

Heywood-Yablowme

Post by Heywood-Yablowme » Sun Mar 08, 2009 3:04 am

Dingo,I also have a larger steering wheel (I believe it is a 13") and it has made a difference. Started using it spring of '07.

My arms are as strong as I can make them at 50 yrs.  None who know me personally would call me weak.

However,I am always looking to extend my driving pleasure,and if I have to make a small concession to steering,I will. Many race cars have PS because of the fatigue factor.

I do enjoy 500 mile events on track at speed. Not the  same as 500 miles on the road.  Driving on the roads bores me most of the time.  The Law does not look favorably on "spirited' driving amongst the public.

So, I am hoping to not have to alter my steering unless it becomes necessary.    ... To experiment is to learn ;)
Last edited by Heywood-Yablowme on Sun Mar 08, 2009 3:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

maverick1

Post by maverick1 » Sun Mar 08, 2009 3:33 am

I have not changed my bushing out, but when I got to Atomfest my steering was squeaking so bad, but the worst part was that it was starting to seize up, and eventually I had a hard time turning the steering wheel. I think this was mostly caused by getting caught in an absolute downpour which probably washed away any last lube that was there.
Luckily I had one of the gents from Hallett come over and liberally spray lube in the top and middle of the steering column. After working it in the steering was back to normal.
Now that you bring this up I think it's about time to re-lube my steering bushing.
Thanks for the reminder.
cheers

wisp

Post by wisp » Sun Mar 08, 2009 4:13 am

[quote="silver"]
[quote="McFred"]
[quote="silver"]
[quote="Curator"]
I'm putting a power electric rack out of an S2000 in my Atom ;)

[/quote]
interesting...why do you want to go power on the atom?

[/quote]

[/quote]
D'oh :D

[/quote]

:laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh: Look carefully.

It's a steering column from something. Complete with bearings, ignition barrel and steering lock.
Attachments
Picture12.jpg
Picture12.jpg (46.25 KiB) Viewed 225 times